Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 10:16 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
How is speaking about living conditions equate to hating Americans??? Can you not see the hatred in your own post. It’s sad that I have to point it out to you.

Sounds like you’re the one who REALLY needs to think about it!
Someone with the name "old" in his forum name needs to grow up and stop referencing to our president as tRump. So childish and juvenile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 10:22 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And none of that affects you if you're not a CA resident."

LOTS of FEDERAL TAX DOLLARS go to Ca for support of their welfare programs, so it DOES AFFECT the rest of the people in the country.
"The LAO also cites figures from a March 2016 report by the Pew Charitable Trusts. It found the federal government spent nearly $356 billion in California in fiscal year 2014, for salaries and wages, grants, contracts, retirement benefits and other benefits. That same year, California paid about $369 billion in total federal tax -- or about $13 billion more than it received -- according to the Internal Revenue Service Data Book, 2014.

Another widely-cited study from 2007 says California received only 78 cents for every dollar it paid in federal taxes."

https://www.politifact.com/californi...re-it-gets-dc/

Not that facts matter in this forum, but besides just the dollars and cents, the real issue is what can be done to alleviate these problems that are growing across all of America. Unfortunately, all too many people devote their time to exchanging partisan nonsense about all our problems than they devote to truly understanding the true causes of the problems and the truly difficult choices available to solve them.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Someone with the name "old" in his forum name needs to grow up and stop referencing to our president as tRump. So childish and juvenile.
I can't say I'm one to appreciate childishness as a rule, but when for the first time we have a POTUS who forever and shamelessly engages the entire country with childish tweets, insults and behavior, how can we expect many Americans not to follow suit?

While the rest of the world wonders when we're finally going to grow up?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Leftist have been screwing up things for years, with or without Trump. They will continue to do it long after he's gone. Trump does give them an easy punching bag to collectively come together over.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As a Californian, I absolutely agree!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...o-our-country/
No argument on this one.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And none of that affects you if you're not a CA resident."

LOTS of FEDERAL TAX DOLLARS go to Ca for support of their welfare programs, so it DOES AFFECT the rest of the people in the country.
Except, y'know, not. California is a donor state. We're the ones paying the farmers who can't sell their soy to China.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:42 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Trump should become Gov of California. They are both embarrassing to the rest of the nation. They were made for each other.
Oh, no. The people in Flyoveristan like him, they can keep him.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
No argument on this one.
I've lived in California all my life except for four years in Hawaii...

I have also traveled the world, much of America too, and for too many reasons to count, I have never wanted to make my home anywhere but here in California. I grew up in Southern California, but once I moved to northern California to go to college, I knew I would never go back. I was here in the Bay Area to stay. In fact, I have done much in my career to keep from being transferred to any other part of the country. I got lucky getting transferred to Hawaii for four years, but I knew that sort of luck would not continue. From there I cold get transferred to any other part of the country I had been on business many times, and no thank you!

Lucky again after four years to be transferred back to northern California, and then I quit that company to start my own company in Northern California where I have managed to stay and now where I am happily retired for a few years now.

I've also been to pretty much every part of California many times, up and down the state. No doubt most people posting in this thread have not, but anyone who knows the state like I do realizes how diverse the state truly is in terms of offering just about anything in the way of lifestyle anyone could want. Even including low cost of living areas to the very highest. The higher the cost of living area, all I can say is there is a reason real estate in these parts of the state are so expensive.

California definitely has some problems that all Californians would like to see alleviated if not eliminated, but most people like me anyway tends to recognize these problems for what they are and the more serious ones are very difficult to correct in a way that most Californians consider reasonable and responsible. It isn't a question of money, because cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles have lots of money. So does the state for that matter, and we spend plenty of money to address the homeless problem(s) in all variety of ways, but even money can only go so far when it comes to so many people ending up homeless. We're not inclined to be Nazis about these problems or people in any case. Same with immigrants, legal or illegal.

Good border security and immigration policies, sure, but once a person is walking around anywhere in California (or any other state that leans toward sanctuary) they are considered people just like anyone else. These more liberal states are simply not going to allow people to be rounded up, interrogated and asked for papers based on the color of their skin. Sanctuary doesn't apply to anyone detained because of criminal activity mind you. This too it seems all too many conservative Americans just don't understand.

All to say there are thousands of miles you can travel in California and not encounter the homeless problem. You will probably see lots of migrants working the farms along the way, but they are hard at work picking your fruits and vegetables, so no real need to get in a twist about that either. You and yours are certainly not out there or in line for those jobs getting done by people Trump wants to make out as rapist murdering "bad hombres" anyway.

All to say, no matter who you are and no matter what state you live in, please know what you're droning on about before you go on with the droning. All I ask...

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-04-2019 at 11:12 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 11:10 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Here's a young woman talking about why she likes living in NW Arkansas.

She moved to NW Arkansas from California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmsyYPf4bPw

She sounds like the typical California or northeast transplant in the south.
I live in the South and I don't want to live in Arkansas at all. Not my cup of tea. Neither is Mississippi, Alabama, or South Carolina (I lived there once, didn't care for it).

Old 08-04-2019, 11:13 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in the South and I don't want to live in Arkansas at all. Not my cup of tea. Neither is Mississippi, Alabama, or South Carolina (I lived there once, didn't care for it).
tell that to all of the people from other regions of the country moving in.

my point wasn't that everybody would prefer south to California. this woman was so positive about Arkansas and she was from California so it contradicts the left's narrative the south is horrible no good rotten place to live and Cali is utopia.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-04-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies