U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2019, 11:43 AM
 
13,136 posts, read 3,337,100 times
Reputation: 1640

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
i don't think most of the transplants moving to the areas of California that Trump's talking about.

a lot of rich people in Cali doesn't negate the fact there is a lot of horrible poverty there.
Not sure I came even close to such a suggestion, but now that you highlight this form of logic, let me be sure I understand. Can't make out what your first sentence is about, but you say the rich don't negate the poor? Let me ponder that one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Houston
5,474 posts, read 2,776,979 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Liberals blame Republicans for the problems in the south and they don't blame Democrat pols for the problems in blue states.

Interesting.

Miss probably does not even have 1 percent of the number of poor people in California given the huge difference in population

yet liberals will beat up on Miss and tout California as amazing.

If we could solve the poverty problem in our most populated state, the national poverty stat would be significantly reduced. Reducing Miss poverty stat would not make much of a difference on the national level statistic.
Mississippi doesn't have 1 percent of the population that California has. Want to know why everything is so expensive in California? This may come as a shock to you (conservatives routinely ignore this fact in their efforts to push their agenda) but a lot of people WANT TO LIVE THERE!

Conservatives love market prices driven by supply and demand EXCEPT when it comes to California. They suddenly forget that there are more people than available housing which causes prices to skyrocket. Not only do they "forget" that fact but they actually try and use it against the state to paint it in a bad light. Either that or they're just stupid. I'm starting to believe the latter more and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
8,119 posts, read 4,156,250 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure I came even close to such a suggestion, but now that you highlight this form of logic, let me be sure I understand. Can't make out what your first sentence is about, but you say the rich don't negate the poor? Let me ponder that one...
my comment wasn't really in response to you but a general comment about the topic.

I get a lot of people like California. I like California from a nature standpoint and weather standpoint and it does have nice places to live.

I see liberals on here bragging about rich people in California but that is dodging the poverty issue. A lot of rich people doesn't mean the state doesn't have a lot of poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
8,119 posts, read 4,156,250 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Mississippi doesn't have 1 percent of the population that California has. Want to know why everything is so expensive in California? This may come as a shock to you (conservatives routinely ignore this fact in their efforts to push their agenda) but a lot of people WANT TO LIVE THERE!

Conservatives love market prices driven by supply and demand EXCEPT when it comes to California. They suddenly forget that there are more people than available housing which causes prices to skyrocket. Not only do they "forget" that fact but they actually try and use it against the state to paint it in a bad light. Either that or they're just stupid. I'm starting to believe the latter more and more.
You are forgetting that leftists have anti-growth policies, they hate suburban 'sprawl'. They limit housing supply which jacks up housing costs.

I love when leftwingers try to give lectures on economics and free markets when your entire ideology is anti-free market.

The profit motive would keep housing costs reasonable because the demand would meet or exceed the supply without the government interference.

AOC singlehandily prevented Amazon from opening up a HQs in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 PM
 
7,466 posts, read 4,322,026 times
Reputation: 9816
As a conservative I will say California is one of the most successful states in our union.

The drug crisis is not limited to CA.
Homelessness is not limited to CA.
Gentrification is not limited to CA.

Stop acting like it is. CA is merely a large, beautiful state to live in with an outstanding economy. A shining example of capitalism in spite of some of its leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:21 PM
 
1,814 posts, read 364,227 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
As a conservative I will say California is one of the most successful states in our union.

The drug crisis is not limited to CA.
Homelessness is not limited to CA.
Gentrification is not limited to CA.

Stop acting like it is. CA is merely a large, beautiful state to live in with an outstanding economy. A shining example of capitalism in spite of some of its leadership.
California is a dump. Yes, I used to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:38 PM
 
32,891 posts, read 16,832,082 times
Reputation: 17751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I love when leftwingers try to give lectures on economics and free markets when your entire ideology is anti-free market.
I love when rightwingers try their hand at rationalizing when the sacrosanct market doesn't act like they want it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:59 PM
 
32,891 posts, read 16,832,082 times
Reputation: 17751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Miss probably does not even have 1 percent of the number of poor people in California given the huge difference in population.
It's to despair...

Mississippi: 2.98M people and an SPM poverty rate of 15.3%.
California: 39.5M people and SPM poverty rate of 20.3%.

Do your own math, but 1 percent isn't just off, it's way, way off. And using the SPM rate of course benefits Mississippi immensely, because it comes with a CoL index built in.

The median household income in CA is way higher than the Mississippi one. Housing is expensive - because, as has been mentioned, it's an attractive place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
8,119 posts, read 4,156,250 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I love when rightwingers try their hand at rationalizing when the sacrosanct market doesn't act like they want it to.
California had had years with more people leaving than coming in yet their housing supply cannot keep with the demand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 01:01 PM
 
7,466 posts, read 4,322,026 times
Reputation: 9816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
California had had years with more people leaving than coming in yet their housing supply cannot keep with the demand?
You, uh, forgetting people are born there too? Not just about those crossing state lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top