U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 11:27 AM

13,567 posts, read 3,453,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Wait a minute, I thought if you didn't love America you had to leave?
Well to be more accurate, if you dare criticize anything about what's going on in America (like much Trump says and does), it's appropriate to ask you simply leave far as too many Trump supporters seem to think, especially if you are an immigrant...

Imagine if the same sort of mentality applied at a company among the leadership team. Dare point at what needs correcting and you are asked to leave. Not exactly the best way for a company to grow, make progress, better compete or last too long, now is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:29 AM

12,837 posts, read 3,485,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I don’t agree with Trump on everything (did not vote for him), but he is right on this one. Sometimes in order to make something great, you have to acknowledge the problem. Democrats are so afraid to point out issues. Decades of weak policies, law enforcement and just plain old being afraid to call a spade a spade has led to the decline of many American cities. Juliani had it right in New York City when he took over. Forced out businesses that brought trouble, encouraged new ones to come in, beefed up the police force and gave them authority to do their jobs. Took New York from being a crap hole to a relatively safe city to live and work in.
Except in the cases of Baltimore, etc., and now California, he isn't bringing it up to shine a light on the problem...perhaps a first step towards improvement. His words are to get back at, to retaliate towards people who have done or said things he doesn't like, because he's thin-skinned and his 'feewings' are hurt.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 AM

3,017 posts, read 983,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
As all too many conservatives would say, "love it or leave it!"

Why don't you?

No need to bother, because I don't think in those terms or respect that sort of rationale, but maybe you can help some conservatives who do...
Why didn't all the rich and famous retardates in the social media light leave like they said they would if Trump won in 2016? It's been over three years now and none of them have left yet.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:33 AM

3,017 posts, read 983,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Well to be more accurate, if you dare criticize anything about what's going on in America (like much Trump says and does), it's appropriate to ask you simply leave far as too many Trump supporters seem to think, especially if you are an immigrant...

Imagine if the same sort of mentality applied at a company among the leadership team. Dare point at what needs correcting and you are asked to leave. Not exactly the best way for a company to grow, make progress, better compete or last too long, now is it?
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...y-if-trump-won

Quote:
Dozens of celebrities vowed to leave the country if Donald TrumpDonald John TrumpBooker calls Trump's address on mass shootings 'bull---t soup'A plea to progressive political pundits: Stop wringing your handsGOP state lawmaker: 'Republican Party is enabling white supremacy in our country'MORE won the White House, saying they’d flee to everywhere from Canada to Jupiter.

The threat is a common one after any election outcome: Canada’s immigration website crashed from heavy traffic as it looked increasingly likely that Trump would win.

But after the real estate mogul clinched the presidency in a stunning victory early Wednesday morning, some of those stars will face questions about making good on their promise.

Here is a list of some of the celebs who claimed they would move out of the U.S. under a Trump administration.

Actors

Bryan Cranston said he hopes he doesn’t have to pack his bags, but would “definitely move” if Trump won. “Absolutely, I would definitely move,” the “Breaking Bad” star said on “The Bestseller Experiment” podcast. “It’s not real to me that that would happen. I hope to God it won’t.”
Samuel L. Jackson
slammed Trump for running a “hate”-filled campaign and said he would move to South Africa if he wins. “If that motherf---er becomes president, I’m moving my black ass to South Africa,” the movie star quipped to Jimmy Kimmel.

Lena Dunham told Andy Cohen at the Matrix Awards that “I know a lot of people have been threatening to do this, but I really will. I know a lovely place in Vancouver.” The star and creator of HBO’s “Girls” has been a vocal advocate for Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonJuan Williams: Trump's trouble with womenHillary Clinton calls on McConnell, GOP to help Democrats pass gun safety billDemocrats call for Senate to return to vote on gun reform after two deadly mass shootingsMORE, the Democratic nominee.

Neve Campbell, an actress on the political drama “House of Cards,” vowed to move back home to Canada, while “Orange is the New Black” actress Natasha Lyonne said she would hightail it to a mental hospital.

Singers

Cher tweeted this summer that if Trump gets elected, “I’m moving to Jupiter.”

Miley Cyrus wrote in an emotional Instagram post in March that tears were running down her cheek and she was unbelievably scared and sad. “I am moving if he is president,” the young pop star said. “I don’t say things I don’t mean!”

Barbara Streisand, a vocal Clinton supporter, told “60 Minutes” that “I’m either coming to your country if you’ll let me in, or Canada.”

Ne-Yo told TMZ last month that he’d move to Canada and be neighbors with fellow R&B singer Drake if the country elected Trump.

Comedians

Comedian Amy Schumer said in September that Spain would be her destination of choice.

“My act will change because I will need to learn to speak Spanish,” Schumer said in an appearance on the BBC’s “Newsnight.” “Because I will move to Spain or somewhere. It’s beyond my comprehension if Trump won. It’s just too crazy.”

Chelsea Handler said she already made contingency plans months ago.

“I did buy a house in another country just in case,” the comedian and talk show host said during an appearance on “Live with Kelly and Michael” in May. “So all these people that threaten to leave the country and then don’t — I actually will leave that country.”

Former “Daily Show” host Jon Stewart said he would consider “getting in a rocket and going to another planet, because clearly this planet’s gone bonkers” if the real estate mogul wins.

Whoopi Goldberg, co-host of the “The View”, said on an episode of the talk show earlier this year that if the country elects Trump, “maybe it’s time for me to move, you know. I can afford to go.”

Keegan-Michael Key said he would flee north to Canada. “It’s like, 10 minutes from Detroit,” the comedian told TMZ in January. “That’s where I’m from; my mom lives there. It’d make her happy too.”

Hispanic comedian George Lopez said Trump “won’t have to worry about immigration” if he takes the White House because “we’ll all go back.”

Political Figures

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg joked in an interview with The New York Times in July that it’d be time to move to New Zealand if Trump were to win.

“Now it’s time for us to move to New Zealand,” she said quoting her husband who died in 2010. “I can’t imagine what the country would be with Donald Trump as our president. For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be — I don’t even want to contemplate that.”

Ginsburg later apologized for her comments, calling them “ill-advised.”

Civil rights activist Al Sharpton told a reporter earlier this year that he’s “reserving my ticket out of here if [Trump] wins.”

Old 08-05-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, I gathered that. Sorry if I came across as combative.
Got it. No biggie .

Old 08-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post

Your post is a deflection rather than a real response to Learn Me's post, but it is still pretty funny.

Trump's presidency is sort of like a car that has features that you like, and features that you don't like, but is a color that....a certain percentage of the time....makes you throw up because you find it so distasteful. And, additionally, the car has the ability to make itself the old color again if 'it' disliked the preferred color that you used in repainting it. IOW, there are people who like his policies, or at least enough of them, but aren't willing to put up with the 'lumps' that go with that (the way he conducts himself in some situations/his Tweets/etc.). He unnecessarily trips himself up/puts his foot in his mouth so much of the time.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:44 PM

6,730 posts, read 3,718,496 times
What truly amazes me is that of all the cities and states Trump attacks why isn't he also attacking NYC and NYS? It is very similar to California. Oh, yes, right. RUDY "cleaned up NYC". If not for 9/11, Rudy would have been run out of the city. He cleaned it up? That was almost 20 years ago. Are Republicans, and Trump supporters, now in control now?

For everything Trump says about California, can also be said about New York. As the saying goes, you can always go home. Far as Trump is concerned, he CANNOT go home; now even more than ever.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:46 PM

33,272 posts, read 17,019,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What truly amazes me is that of all the cities and states Trump attacks why isn't he also attacking NYC and NYS? It is very similar to California. Oh, yes, right. RUDY "cleaned up NYC". If not for 9/11, Rudy would have been run out of the city. He cleaned it up? That was almost 20 years ago. Are Republicans, and Trump supporters, now in control now?

For everything Trump says about California, can also be said about New York. As the saying goes, you can always go home. Far as Trump is concerned, he CANNOT go home; now even more than ever.
Trump invested decades in trying to become part of NYC's inner circle. He might be just a little too attached to his image of himself as a New York elite, even though no one else bought the act.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:52 PM

28,035 posts, read 19,551,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Fighting fire with fire only works when there is no fire. A controlled burn only works to burn off debris, to prevent fire. If a fire is already there, fighting fire with fire only causes more fire. In this case, Trump is only creating more fires.
not necessarily.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:19 PM

5,536 posts, read 3,184,397 times
San Francisco is one of the few places where you can buy roasted rats on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies