U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM

37,524 posts, read 16,608,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yes, you are..as I pointed out in post #461.

Straight from the 'Oldglory school of definitions and logic' .

You are literally the only person to assert that who I have ever heard of.

You won't find the bolded in any academic explanation, nor dictionary.
Keep attacking me and accusing me of being a hypocrite for no reason whatsoever and we'll see where this goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 PM

12,363 posts, read 3,348,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
See, that is what I find extremely hard to understand too. I have friends and ex relatives who are super nice, super smart people. They LIKE Trump ! How can they not see the way he demeans everyone, especially women, how he acts like a spoiled 3 year old, instead of a man who should be leading this country, and how he has decades long history of cheating and lying to get ahead ? He is also completely unqualified to do the work that office requires........both intellectually and ethically.

I really, really can not understand how they not only overlook those character flaws, but they DEFEND them ! I just really do not get it. They JUST DON'T CARE !!

But, then again, we have all heard how some people actually wrote letters to people like Charles Manson, and who think he was a great guy.
Are your friends and ex-relatives dyed in the wool Republicans ?

Are they 'Us vs. Them' people ?

Are they 'party uber alles' people ?

If they are any of those, or a combination, that might explain that reality.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
At least you admit that he is retaliating, and that his behavior is childish. That you don't see anything wrong with that is what is disturbing.

Comparing the behavior of anyone else to Trump's behavior is a false equivalency.

Not one of 'those who act that way' is the POTUS.

Trump is the POTUS.

Sane people expect him to act Presidential/let it roll off of his back/refrain from 'punching down', and refrain from childish behavior.
It's not childish to defend yourself. WTH is wrong with you? It doesn't matter who you are you have the right to defend yourself. What is disturbing is you constantly attacking me. I suggest you stop it! Find another punching bag.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:32 PM

12,363 posts, read 3,348,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not childish to defend yourself. WTH is wrong with you? It doesn't matter who you are you have the right to defend yourself. What is disturbing is you constantly attacking me. I suggest you stop it! Find another punching bag.
Were not talking about the behavior of people in the general public.

We're talking about the behavior of the POTUS.

It doesn't seem as though you think or feel that the standard of behavior for the POTUS should be any higher than for anyone else.

Many people feel the POTUS, whoever is POTUS (so irrespective of party or ideologies), should hold himself or herself to as high a standard of behavior as is possible, higher than the average we see in society.

That he or she shouldn't react to every little thing.

That he or she should refrain from or at least limit as much as possible getting into wars of words with people who are beneath him or her (beneath in a statutory, office holding sense), which is known as avoiding 'punching down'.

If Trump got into a verbal dust off with the head/leader of another country, people would debate as to whether or not the strategy or words were helpful/correct or not in that particular situation.

However, I think very few people would try to call Trump out in that situation as being inappropriate for at least saying something (even if he happened to say something that turned out to be the wrong thing to say) because in that situation he would be dealing with as close to a peer as possible, and there might be less question as to whose interests he would be looking after (IOW, there would be more of an assumption that he would be looking out for the United States as a country when he is dealing with foreign leaders).

Old 08-08-2019, 01:51 PM

1,933 posts, read 773,360 times
I actually think his statements are really funny. I'm in CA and wasn't offended at all.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Were not talking about the behavior of people in the general public.

We're talking about the behavior of the POTUS.

It doesn't seem as though you think or feel that the standard of behavior for the POTUS should be any higher than for anyone else.

Many people feel the POTUS, whoever is POTUS (so irrespective of party or ideologies), should hold himself or herself to as high a standard of behavior as is possible, higher than the average we see in society.

That he or she shouldn't react to every little thing.

That he or she should refrain from or at least limit as much as possible getting into wars of words with people who are beneath him or her (beneath in a statutory, office holding sense), which is known as avoiding 'punching down'.

If Trump got into a verbal dust off with the head/leader of another country, people would debate as to whether or not the strategy or words were helpful/correct or not in that particular situation.

However, I think very few people would try to call Trump out in that situation as being inappropriate for at least saying something (even if he happened to say something that turned out to be the wrong thing to say) because in that situation he would be dealing with as close to a peer as possible, and there might be less question as to whose interests he would be looking after (IOW, there would be more of an assumption that he would be looking out for the United States as a country when he is dealing with foreign leaders).
Why are you beating this dead horse to death in here? You have your opinion and I have mine. As I said, I don't care who you are, including the president you have every right to defend yourself against personal attacks. It's the ones making the initial attacks that are the bad guys not the one who defends themselves from them. It's not inappropriate for anyone to defend themselves from verbal attacks. I have no further need to listen to or read your rants. Welcome to my ignore list.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:11 PM

10,099 posts, read 6,705,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Once again, Trump doesn't initiate childish behavior he merely retaliates against those who act that way by hurling insults at him first. Are you guys really this clueless?
Question: Would you like your children or grandchildren, to talk like Trump, when they interact with their peers and the public at large?

Old 08-08-2019, 02:57 PM

1,398 posts, read 343,567 times
Quote:
Whether it's true or not (and IMO, my home state has a laundry list of problems), he shouldn't be saying it.

He's the POTUS, he's not the president of all states except California.

Oakformonday is right. He's butt hurt re the law Newsom signed. The only legitimate reason I can see that he should care is a fear that that might happen in a swing state.
Hes saying an uncomfortable truth. Its not about gavins tax return law but about the trends in governing he is part of. Sanctuary cities. Health care for illegals. Environmental and nanny state regulations driving business away. And when called on it they just double down. I live in CA too, nativ8e since 62. Lived here all but a few years I was in the military. San Jose, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Tuolumne County, Santa Rosa, San Diego. From cities to high sierra where I had to climb a granite mountain to get to school if I missed my bus.
It is still, aesthetically, the most beautiful and topographically diverse state. Maybe the best on the planet so I feel silly to leave it.
But our government and many citizens have veered down a road lacking common sense and smacking of classic leftist self defeatism.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:03 PM

1,398 posts, read 343,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Question: Would you like your children or grandchildren, to talk like Trump, when they interact with their peers and the public at large?
His appeal was that he was not a professional career politician, skilled in undetectable lies and telling people what they wanted to hear. In fact I liked he was not bowing to PC pressure and offended people who needed offending.
My children will be taught by teachers. They do not guide my politics.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:05 PM

1,619 posts, read 357,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
it's behavior I'd expect from a young child, not POTUS of 330+ million people and (supposedly) leader of an enormous gov't, defense, and pretty much all the democracies on Earth.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies