U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 AM

13,866 posts, read 8,714,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
LOL, Trumpy is mad because Governor Newsom signed a bill requiring candidates in CA to release their tax returns if they want to appear on state primary ballots.

https://abc7.com/politics/ca-lawmake...turns/5389210/
I doubt that it concerns Trump one bit. Trump will STILL win the Republican primary in California.
That means he will be on the Presidential ballot.
He won't win the California vote, but the Guv of California is going to look like an idiot who stood in front of a train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 11:32 AM

13,102 posts, read 3,332,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I agree with the bolded part. Trump responds to criticism with an unusual amount of rancor. Sometimes his retorts are applicable (Baltimore really IS in crappy shape) and other times he’s rather imaginative with his winding adventures of smack talk. No disagreement from me; I didn’t vote for him.

He isn’t the topic at the moment however, and while whataboutism certainly has a role in some discussion, how Trump behaves isn’t at all the topic at hand.

I’m a San Francisco native by the way, and still recall when Newsom paid off the homeless to go somewhere else. That wasn’t much of a policy; it just offered us a bit of breathing room while the homeless all settled down south to be a thorn in LA’s side. This too has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Not sure I follow since the topic of this thread is what Trump says about California...

First is to consider the source and how this is typical of Trump. Insulting, absolutely unproductive, and divisive...

Hold Trump or any American (or anyone posting in this forum) to a higher standard, and you just may get to the heart of what the real source of these problems actually are, including California's. Then maybe a better bi-partisan approach to addressing them is possible, but first it sure seems to me one has to call out the Trump BS for what it is.

Otherwise Trump continues to intoxicate his following with the same thing over and over in unrelenting fashion. Distancing himself and his followers further and further from fair and objective reason and logic. Serious problem this, because this core base that is notably older white conservative male is coalescing in a way that the rest of a more diverse America is not able. (Over two-thirds of America is white). Trump's advantage is to appeal to those who mostly want to keep it that way and let's face it, many white Americans still do.

Meaning, Trump is the wrong person surrounded by the wrong people very likely at the expense of most all other Americans the next election yet again. Few thought it possible then and now few if any seem able to overcome this sad dynamic going forward.

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-03-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-03-2019, 11:37 AM

4,516 posts, read 1,931,304 times
Oh my... San Francisco is beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXDwIhqIaT0

Old 08-03-2019, 11:47 AM

7,186 posts, read 4,068,527 times
First, he acts like a @Q#$@#% to an American City, Baltimore.
Now, he is doing it to a whole state.
It doesn't sound like he loves America to me, sounds like he hates it, actually.
By his own words, maybe he should love it or leave.
They are apart of America, whether he likes it or not, he is only interested in insulting them and trying to bring them down.
Pathetic, for a President to do that to his own cities and states.

He certainly isn't trying to America great again.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:47 AM

13,102 posts, read 3,332,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You are not on here blasting the Baltimore guy for falsely calling Trump a racist. There was no altruism in Cumming's false assertion. It doesn't solve any problems.

You haven't shown that it isn't a problem in Baltimore yet you are still complaining about Trump's comments. You don't appear able to handle the truth.
Hard to blast someone for telling the truth, but then again I guess it's hard for some people to recognize racism in all it's many forms. For Trump supporters it seems that Trump is not a racist, simply because he says he isn't, but asking people who don't agree with you to "go back to where you came from" is racist. Why?

Have you ever heard Trump ask any of the countless white people who don't agree with him to "go back to where they came from?" No. Trump finds other ways not involving race to childishly insult those white people. Even war veterans like McCain. Disabled people. Whatever sort of insult will work, including racist ones with POC. No matter.

In a similar way, though awfully hard for Trump supporters to understand, why is all this about rounding up illegal immigrants considered racist (and why are others establishing sanctuary cities to push back against him)?

How many white people do you think immigration agents are likely to ask for papers to prove they are citizens?

Contrary to what Trump and conservatives want to insist about California and many other states pushing back on Trump's ways, it isn't that these states and the people in them are for illegal anything! It's simply wanting to adhere to the principles established in our constitution. Not to allow prejudice based on race or color of skin. This applies to homeless people to.

Not easy when another goal is to maintain the rule of law. True, but we don't need to be Nazi in the way we impose the law. Rounding people up, innocent or not, asking for papers. Separating families.

Not easy and not always as effective as we would like, much like our laws prohibiting illegal search and seizure have sometimes kept law enforcement from catching some bad guys, but please! Let's not misunderstand the reasons more and more states are going the way of sanctuary, like Washington just did too. There are reasons and they are good reasons! No matter what fascist, racist false propaganda Trump is great at spinning for his followers to the contrary!

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-03-2019 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 11:49 AM

11,038 posts, read 10,999,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As a Californian, I absolutely agree!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...o-our-country/
Maybe you should move to Alabama instead and leave the 5th biggest economy in the world.

Not a fan of leftist or religious right states but the deep blue states like ny ca etc blow the red Trump ****hole states like Al, WV and Ms out of the water

Old 08-03-2019, 11:50 AM

8,116 posts, read 4,152,902 times
Families were being separated during the Obama admin.

Rounding illegal immigrants up and deporting them for breaking a law is not like Hitler.

Hitler killed people and it had nothing to do with illegal immigration.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:52 AM

12,365 posts, read 3,348,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You are not on here blasting the Baltimore guy for falsely calling Trump a racist. There was no altruism in Cumming's false assertion. It doesn't solve any problems.

You haven't shown that it isn't a problem in Baltimore yet you are still complaining about Trump's comments. You don't appear able to handle the truth.
It doesn't matter if it's true or not, and it doesn't matter if it's racist or not.

It doesn't need to get to that point of analysis because whether it's true or not, or racist or not, he still shouldn't have said what he did.

It also doesn't matter if Cummings was being altruistic of not. That's irrelevant because it involves a false equivalency. Cummings isn't the president. Trump is the President, and if you don't expect at least slightly elevated (above others) behavior from the POTUS than you do from other politicians, then I feel sorry for you.

Trump's words were unpresidential and 'punching down'.

You've stated in other threads that you don't think he was being unpresidential, that what is unpresidential is a matter of opinion and, essentially, that 'punching down' is a crock even though a number of political writers agree that it is a thing. Not everyone who disagrees with you on one or even all of those points is 'a liberal'.

IMO, you are largely looking at this from a 'street', from an emotional, from a pugilistic POV, rather than an intellectual POV.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:53 AM

8,116 posts, read 4,152,902 times
I don't think you've provided any evidence that you are more intellectual than I am.

It is not intellectual to make an assertion without evidence.

What people think is 'presidential' is subjective and varies with how much they like the president.

I don't see any reason to believe a president pointing out a politician's district has a lot of problems is unpresidential if it is true.

You clearly think Trump's persuasive when he responds to these Democrats or you wouldn't complain about it.

If he's hurting himself, you should want more of it.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:58 AM

9,342 posts, read 4,252,306 times
Because everyone thinks Oklahoma and Alabama are shining examples of what all of America should be, am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies