U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 06:26 PM

21,253 posts, read 14,065,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This is one of the few topics that I agree with Trump on. California has been setting their own citizens up for disaster for years. The state allows people to build in areas that are prone to wildfires while refusing to clear undergrowth and deadwood because it might mess up the ecosystem. The people who lost property and loved ones in the wildfires should be angry at the government which allowed those fires to happen, not at the POTUS who points out the stupidity of California’s policies.
What of it?

Name one southern, Rust Belt, or Appalachia state that hasn't let coal or whatever other environmentally nasty industry run lose. Drinking water has been polluted, toxic waste fields littler the states, and so it goes.

California has the worlds fifth largest economy, surpassing even some nations such as Great Britain. Meanwhile many "flyover" states range from so poor they can't pay attention to extremely heavy reliance upon various direct or indirect federal government funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:50 PM

1,334 posts, read 624,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What of it?

Name one southern, Rust Belt, or Appalachia state that hasn't let coal or whatever other environmentally nasty industry run lose. Drinking water has been polluted, toxic waste fields littler the states, and so it goes.

California has the worlds fifth largest economy, surpassing even some nations such as Great Britain. Meanwhile many "flyover" states range from so poor they can't pay attention to extremely heavy reliance upon various direct or indirect federal government funding.
Good god, is this the only response you people know?

Yes, huge economy, but the state is in awful financial shape overall, so that brings that claim a little back closer down to earth.

California is by far #1 for poverty.....with an economy that huge. That's nice.

Say all you want but California is a beautiful state that's been ruined by Democrats.

The big cities especially.

My flyover red state is #1 for overall financial shape.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:57 PM

1,170 posts, read 631,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Even the leftwing NPR recognizes San Fran is a disgrace.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/63462...nd-human-feces

The NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit surveyed 153 blocks of the city in February, finding giant mounds of trash and food on the majority of streets. At least 100 discarded needles and more than 300 piles of human feces were also found in downtown San Francisco, according to the report.

'Dr. Lee Riley, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, Berkeley, told NBC Bay Area that dried feces can release dangerous viruses, such as rotavirus, which is the most common cause of diarrhea in infants and children worldwide. Getting pricked with discarded drug needles can also spread HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis B, among other viruses, Riley said.

"The contamination [in San Fran] is ... much greater than communities in Brazil or Kenya or India," says Riley, who researched health conditions caused by extreme poverty in some of the world's poorest regions.'
San Francisco is not "California".

Washington D.C. has had homelessness and the filth that goes with that for more than 50 years. Just blocks from the White House.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:27 AM

777 posts, read 519,388 times
President Trump was too nice when saying "disgrace".
The correct phrase is that California is a filthy, clogged, unflushed toilet to our country.

I haven't seen all of Taxifornia. But at least Los Angeles county is one expensive cesspool. I regret even wanting to live here.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:41 AM

1,655 posts, read 364,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

My flyover red state is #1 for overall financial shape.
Tennessee is ranked third in the country for prescription drug abuse....any reason why?

There's an explanation for a lot of problems going on in states like CA, TX, FL - climate, geography, employment.

FL has a huge immigrant population and a draw to the state for farming. Other states don't have that and therefore don't have the social problems.

Easy for Trump to point fingers, but he's part of the problem - employers hiring illegals (documented at his resorts/hotels).

Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM

12,388 posts, read 3,355,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Was having sex with an intern in the Oval Office presidential? Any government employee who did that would be fired.

It is pretty weird that you are trying to make Trump out as unpresidential b/c he retweeted something about Clinton who was our most unpresidential president.

Liberals have been accusing Trump of having Epstein killed so welcome to politics. #TrumpBodyCount was trending on Twitter yesterday.

Don't get mad Trump plays your party's game better than your party does.

You guys have smeared Trump as a traitor and white supremacist for 3 years but then virtue signal and clutch your pearls if he tweets something in response.
Comparing Trump to Clinton is irrelevant because not everyone criticizing Trump is a Democrat nor a Clinton voter.

Everything isn't 'Us vs. Them'.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 AM

12,388 posts, read 3,355,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
President Trump was too nice when saying "disgrace".
The correct phrase is that California is a filthy, clogged, unflushed toilet to our country.

I haven't seen all of Taxifornia. But at least Los Angeles county is one expensive cesspool. I regret even wanting to live here.
In some ways I agree, and I'm a fifth generation California native.

But why did Trump say that California is a disgrace?

It wasn't as a nudge to improve.

It was because this new law that Newsom signed hurts his feelings.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 PM

48,866 posts, read 45,857,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What of it?

Funny you mention this. Pittsburgh, and other parts of Appalachia come to mind. Pittsburgh was once one of the dirtiest cities in the USA. The pollution from the steel mills was such that street lights came on during early afternoon.

This article confirms what I'm talking about: https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/...-problem/2185/

Parts of Appalachia have severe issues with water pollution. In this article, there is a photo of an orange bath tub. Water pollution, not a paint job, did that. The woman in the article can't wear her wedding ring because it's been ruined by water pollution. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47165522

Old 08-13-2019, 04:54 PM

1,334 posts, read 624,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

It was because this new law that Newsom signed hurts his feelings.
No, it's because it's F'n ridiculous. The Governor has done everything but go down to San Diego and manually open the gate to let illegals flood in.

Hope you Californians are working extra hard to pay for free healthcare for illegals....

Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 PM

8,122 posts, read 4,158,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Comparing Trump to Clinton is irrelevant because not everyone criticizing Trump is a Democrat nor a Clinton voter.

Everything isn't 'Us vs. Them'.
How many times do you need to repeat this platitude. I'm not interested your tsk tsk 'above the fray' style commentary.

If you are not a liberal then my comments do not pertain to you. There's no reason to say you are not a liberal. I'm not on here to talk about your political identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies