U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 09:48 PM

4,151 posts, read 2,656,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
COASTAL California is NOT America. California belongs in another country.
Because it's totally run by far left Democrats. Complete control and dominance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 PM

779 posts, read 671,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Because it's totally run by far left Democrats. Complete control and dominance.
Go north of Redding where local gas stations sell State of Jefferson stickers, and a lot of trucks wear them, and tell me California’s such a monolith.

I don’t even agree with some portions of the State of Jefferson stuff, but I like their moxie, so I wear one of those stickers, too.

Seriously, spend a minute up there before posting.

Last edited by jcp123; 08-13-2019 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 10:07 PM

49,294 posts, read 46,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
COASTAL California is NOT America. California belongs in another country.
Coastal California is part of the USA whether you like it or not.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Short and mean answer? Hillbillies love their pills.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I love TN I would never want to live in the holler. Leave the nice cities and it gets pretty rural, pretty fast. What else is there to do out there other than take drugs?
I have a better answer. Many people pop pills for reasons ranging from physical pain to depression. Before, drinking was a big issue. Now it's pills and meth. Pills were dumped on many areas in Appalachia, often prescribed for pain. Many people who dealt with other issues such as depression found that they could get high from the pills.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 PM

12,837 posts, read 3,485,849 times
Quote:
No, it's because it's F'n ridiculous. The Governor has done everything but go down to San Diego and manually open the gate to let illegals flood in.
That might be why Trump doesn't like him (and I'm much closer to Trump on that issue, and I can't stand Newsom), but the trigger was the signing of the bill, and I have little doubt that it hurt Trump's feelings.

Quote:
Hope you Californians are working extra hard to pay for free healthcare for illegals....
It's not coming out of my pocket. I'm a native, but I moved to a no state income tax state.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 PM

12,122 posts, read 15,736,453 times
I sure love CA produce. The highest sales in the country.

Whoops!! (Red states might not like that fact...)

Sorry.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:30 PM

1,711 posts, read 697,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a better answer. Many people pop pills for reasons ranging from physical pain to depression. Before, drinking was a big issue. Now it's pills and meth. Pills were dumped on many areas in Appalachia, often prescribed for pain. Many people who dealt with other issues such as depression found that they could get high from the pills.
Right, I'm aware. You're not telling my anything I don't know. Back in the day the docs could prescribe basically whatever, and they did, especially the small town docs that everyone is friends with. Now it's different with all the laws and scrutiny and regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
That might be why Trump doesn't like him (and I'm much closer to Trump on that issue, and I can't stand Newsom), but the trigger was the signing of the bill, and I have little doubt that it hurt Trump's feelings.
I really honestly don't think Trump is a "feelings hurt" kind of guy. That bill is ridiculous, even if they don't admit it I bet 80% of Californians think it's BS. As far as I'm concerned, California is a disgrace to the nation and what we stand for. I lived out there for a couple years, good times but the place is ridiculous, the politics, taxes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's not coming out of my pocket. I'm a native, but I moved to a no state income tax state.
Smart move. I come from one and currently live in one, too.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Smart move. I come from one and currently live in one, too.
I didn't write that. RMESH did.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 PM

12,837 posts, read 3,485,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Not everyone who criticized Clinton was a Republican, either. Every president has been criticized from within their own party. What does that have to do with relevance?
A person's actions, words, and behavior are a person's actions, word's, and behavior.

Those actions, words, and behavior should be scrutinized individually on their own merit or lack of merit.

What someone else did is irrelevant. It is a 'whataboutism'.

If there are only two types in a set (say one could only be a D or an R, or only vote for Hillary or Trump) then some might argue that there is a place for 'whataboutism', but that isn't the case (that there are only two members in the set) when it comes to political parties in the U.S., nor with Presidential candidates. If a D criticizes an R officeholder or vice versa, then the person who feels the need to defend the person in office might try to throw out something that a previous same officeholder from the current criticizer's party did. It is an irrelevant 'whatabaoutism'. It attempts to distract from the criticism being leveled at the current officeholder, and also doesn't address the current criticism leveled at the current officeholder. While in the minds of some, it might 'knock the legs out from under' the criticism'....in this case...of an R officeholder being made by Ds, it doesn't knock out criticisms being made by people who aren't Democrats and didn't vote for Hillary, because such people are under no obligation to defend the actions of a candidate they didn't vote for, nor a party they don't belong to.

Everything isn't 'Us vs. Them'. Everyone isn't either a Republican or a Democrat.

The person I was responding to with that post you replied to above more than occasionally tries to use 'What about ___________' (fill in the blank thing that Clinton did), or 'What about _______' (fill in the blank thing that Obama did), or 'What about _______' (fill in the blank thing that Democrats did) to attempt to defend something Trump said or did.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:52 PM

779 posts, read 671,024 times
My wife is a big Bernie supporter, but she was almost as big of a Clinton criticizer as I was. There’s room for subtlety here, clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies