U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2019, 12:12 AM
 
12,388 posts, read 3,355,588 times
Reputation: 4170

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Right, I'm aware. You're not telling my anything I don't know. Back in the day the docs could prescribe basically whatever, and they did, especially the small town docs that everyone is friends with. Now it's different with all the laws and scrutiny and regulation.



I really honestly don't think Trump is a "feelings hurt" kind of guy. That bill is ridiculous, even if they don't admit it I bet 80% of Californians think it's BS. As far as I'm concerned, California is a disgrace to the nation and what we stand for. I lived out there for a couple years, good times but the place is ridiculous, the politics, taxes, etc.
I don't know if you do, but if you think that most of his rants back at other people on Twitter, and his in person attacks on people's physical appearance, etc. are a sign of strength, then nothing is probably going to sway you from that feeling. I gave one example earlier in this thread. Graydon Carter (the 25 year tenure former editor in chief of Vanity Fair), before he was editor of Vanity Fair, called Trump a 'short-fingered vulgarian' in a magazine article. This bothered Trump so much that more than 25 years later he was still sending Carter pictures with his fingers circled. IIRC, Marco Rubio brought up Trump's hand size in one of the debates. He brought that up because it is well known that Trump is sensitive about the size of his hands. Some people od CD who don't like Trump refer to him as Cheeto Vontinyhands.

Quote:
Smart move. I come from one and currently live in one, too.
Almost. You still have the Hall Tax for another 16 1/2 months .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2019, 05:01 AM
 
66,939 posts, read 30,670,212 times
Reputation: 8758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I'm not focusing on any one thing; I was just answering a question when someone pointed out that TN is one of the top states for RX drug abuse.

Here most of the poor rural demographic votes Republican.
Tennessee has two relatively large cities that are overwhelmingly Dem: Nashville and Memphis. And, yes, there are a lot of drug addicts in both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
7,219 posts, read 7,864,148 times
Reputation: 5825
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
A person's actions, words, and behavior are a person's actions, word's, and behavior.

Those actions, words, and behavior should be scrutinized individually on their own merit or lack of merit.

What someone else did is irrelevant. It is a 'whataboutism'.

If there are only two types in a set (say one could only be a D or an R, or only vote for Hillary or Trump) then some might argue that there is a place for 'whataboutism', but that isn't the case (that there are only two members in the set) when it comes to political parties in the U.S., nor with Presidential candidates. If a D criticizes an R officeholder or vice versa, then the person who feels the need to defend the person in office might try to throw out something that a previous same officeholder from the current criticizer's party did. It is an irrelevant 'whatabaoutism'. It attempts to distract from the criticism being leveled at the current officeholder, and also doesn't address the current criticism leveled at the current officeholder. While in the minds of some, it might 'knock the legs out from under' the criticism'....in this case...of an R officeholder being made by Ds, it doesn't knock out criticisms being made by people who aren't Democrats and didn't vote for Hillary, because such people are under no obligation to defend the actions of a candidate they didn't vote for, nor a party they don't belong to.

Everything isn't 'Us vs. Them'. Everyone isn't either a Republican or a Democrat.

The person I was responding to with that post you replied to above more than occasionally tries to use 'What about ___________' (fill in the blank thing that Clinton did), or 'What about _______' (fill in the blank thing that Obama did), or 'What about _______' (fill in the blank thing that Democrats did) to attempt to defend something Trump said or did.
Valid point, when explained that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM
 
32,897 posts, read 16,836,395 times
Reputation: 17755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
COASTAL California is NOT America. California belongs in another country.
This is where you outline who gave you authority to define what is America and what isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 06:07 PM
 
48,866 posts, read 45,857,531 times
Reputation: 15530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is where you outline who gave you authority to define what is America and what isn't.
Let's call it what it is. Said person has a disdain for California to the point of not wanting it to be part of the USA. California has been a U.S. state since 1850. I don't see it going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,334 posts, read 624,484 times
Reputation: 1842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't know if you do, but if you think that most of his rants back at other people on Twitter, and his in person attacks on people's physical appearance, etc. are a sign of strength, then nothing is probably going to sway you from that feeling.
No. But it must be said that the vast majority of the time he's just fighting fire with fire. Keep in mind he has been smeared like no other President (in my life at least) since the day he announced he was running in 2015. The dems and news spent 2 years prosecuting him for BS he didn't even do. I don't blame him for being nasty back to people, but the personal attacks about weight, etc. yes are very out of line. But most of the time he just says what everyone else is thinking. I've been told I do that before, so I can sort of relate.

I do love how he has exposed the fake news, he will go down in history for that- that will be his legacy.

I personally get a kick of watching clips of him calling them out...the Jim Acosta thing was epic. And it proves that the news is bull****, Acosta had to get one more question in there completely unrelated about the Russia hoax....which turned out to also be bull****.

I personally find this epic:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3abZ4aAGUU

And he is right about CNN--their ratings are awful. Like I said earlier, The Hallmark Channel and TLC have more primetime viewers than CNN. That's pathetic, but deserved. CNN is the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Almost. You still have the Hall Tax for another 16 1/2 months .
It doesn't end until 2022. Nevertheless it doesn't affect me. But you gotta love TN...we have the lowest taxes in the nation and all the politicians do is talk about how we can pay even less. Even the democrats tread very lightly, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 09:35 PM
 
924 posts, read 452,682 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
No. But it must be said that the vast majority of the time he's just fighting fire with fire. Keep in mind he has been smeared like no other President (in my life at least) since the day he announced he was running in 2015. The dems and news spent 2 years prosecuting him for BS he didn't even do. I don't blame him for being nasty back to people, but the personal attacks about weight, etc. yes are very out of line. But most of the time he just says what everyone else is thinking. I've been told I do that before, so I can sort of relate.

I do love how he has exposed the fake news, he will go down in history for that- that will be his legacy.

I personally get a kick of watching clips of him calling them out...the Jim Acosta thing was epic. And it proves that the news is bull****, Acosta had to get one more question in there completely unrelated about the Russia hoax....which turned out to also be bull****.

I personally find this epic:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3abZ4aAGUU

And he is right about CNN--their ratings are awful. Like I said earlier, The Hallmark Channel and TLC have more primetime viewers than CNN. That's pathetic, but deserved. CNN is the worst.



It doesn't end until 2022. Nevertheless it doesn't affect me. But you gotta love TN...we have the lowest taxes in the nation and all the politicians do is talk about how we can pay even less. Even the democrats tread very lightly, lol.
And yet TN is one is one the poorest states in the country. Ranked in the bottom percentile in education, healthcare, poverty, etc. Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, are the prime examples of the failures of American conservatism. And the one successful area in Tennessee, Nashville/Davidson County, is unsurpringly overwhelmingly liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,334 posts, read 624,484 times
Reputation: 1842
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
And yet TN is one is one the poorest states in the country. Ranked in the bottom percentile in education, healthcare, poverty, etc. Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, are the prime examples of the failures of American conservatism. And the one successful area in Tennessee, Nashville/Davidson County, is unsurpringly overwhelmingly liberal.
Tennessee is poor?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...scal-stability

Plenty of successful areas around here that aren't Nashville.

That said, I'm glad Nashville is booming. Just, people need to leave the California bull**** back with them.

Nashville has one of the best hospitals in the Southeast, Vanderbilt, along with that University.

And then there's UT also.

What state do you live in? California? You are by farrrr #1 for poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 10:23 PM
Status: "NEVER try to ride the angriest bull in the pen." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,136 posts, read 2,161,038 times
Reputation: 3876
If California is a disgrace to our country, what do you say about Mississippi and Alabama?

I suggest another comparison - note well I'm giving the benefit of the doubt (taking the most prosperous red and blue states of roughly similar population and economic roles. OK, I'll pick two of each:

Minnesota, Georgia, Washington (State), North Carolina. Then and only then can you consider California and Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,334 posts, read 624,484 times
Reputation: 1842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
If California is a disgrace to our country, what do you say about Mississippi and Alabama?

I suggest another comparison - note well I'm giving the benefit of the doubt (taking the most prosperous red and blue states of roughly similar population and economic roles. OK, I'll pick two of each:

Minnesota, Georgia, Washington (State), North Carolina. Then and only then can you consider California and Texas.
I wouldn't want to live in MS or AL either, but they don't have Governors welcoming illegals in and offering to pay for their health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top