U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,629 posts, read 3,982,183 times
Reputation: 4168

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Ok so you read it studied it and what was his point ? Who was his hero, or his basic belief / we will hear it from you rather than fake news. Right ? Please do tell .
I don’t think I can post about that on here.

 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Status: ""making all of his nowhere plans for nobody..."" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,551 posts, read 4,534,218 times
Reputation: 9023
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Why is it that you love the fact that the media has completely and utterly lied about who this guy is?. How are you going to LIKE them doing that? Do you love dishonesty? What else could explain you?
I did not comment on what they were saying abut the guy because for the most part, I have stayed away from all media coverage of the two shootings this weekend. I also understand that just because you say the media is lying does not mean the media is, in fact, lying.
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,488 posts, read 12,262,260 times
Reputation: 8885
Having faith gives many peace and hope even joy. Kids in school pray while chewing gum/ winking at the boy, Writing notes, picking their nose, or looking to see if Dixie’s breast are bigger than Mary’s since last year. They repeat it with out much thought. I know, I was writing the notes. The 16/25 group is at the age when kids want to belong and be liked. Pray they do, pass an exam, get accepted into college etc. Prayer in school will not stop the violence. Maybe teaching kids to get along better with all might
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Status: ""making all of his nowhere plans for nobody..."" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,551 posts, read 4,534,218 times
Reputation: 9023
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That would be true if his words were not twisted by the media to influence policy. I want to find out for myself. I have read enough headlines that had nothing to do with the story.
Maybe you misunderstood. I do not care what he thinks. His opinion means less than nothing to me. So I also don't care to be told what he thought or wrote no matter if it is CNN, Fox News or some random poster on the internet. His opinion should have stopped mattering to anyone about 46 dead and injured people ago. I'll repeat what someone above me wrote. He needs less exposure, not more.
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,629 posts, read 3,982,183 times
Reputation: 4168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I did not comment on what they were saying abut the guy because for the most part, I have stayed away from all media coverage of the two shootings this weekend. I also understand that just because you say the media is lying does not mean the media is, in fact, lying.
It’s pretty simple: you read the manifesto, and then you watch/read the media reports. After about two minutes, you realize, “holy crap, they’re lying...”
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Washington State
19,020 posts, read 9,802,725 times
Reputation: 16198
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...n-our-schools/

Bet he means Christian prayer. Pretty sure he doesn't want Muslim prayers five times a day.

Regardless, what an asinine statement to make! The problem is unrestricted access to guns, the problem is the radicalization of white Christian youth, the problem is lack of mental health screening.

Not some flippin' Republican's wish list of a Christian Taliban nation.

When will politicians start addressing the gun problem. I am a gun owner, but I want safe storage laws, I want training laws, and most of all, I want screening laws as to WHO buys guns. Effective ones. Not the namby pamby drivel that some are proposing, or worse yet, nothing at all.
He's a lot closer than the Demonics....when I was a kid in school, we prayed and didn't shoot anybody.
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Status: ""making all of his nowhere plans for nobody..."" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,551 posts, read 4,534,218 times
Reputation: 9023
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It’s pretty simple: you read the manifesto, and then you watch/read the media reports. After about two minutes, you realize, “holy crap, they’re lying...”
First of all, being told someone is lying is one thing. You're not really asking us to read it and make up our own mind. You're telling us to read it, watch the news and then come to the same conclusion that you did. You're spoon feeding us what to think. I don't give a rat's butt what this guy wrote and I don't vare to hear anyone's opinion on it either, not your opinion, not CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, President Trump, the guy getting gas at the pump one other from me or the cashier at the grocery store. The opinion of some mass murdering bastard does not mean ish to me.
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 PM
 
Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,351 posts, read 2,993,419 times
Reputation: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
A simple gun is a reliable gun. It's unfortunate, but all we can do is rely on current laws (and basic human decency) to prevent as many murders as possible. It will be impossible to do much more.
There's always more we can do.

We can be like Britain and Europe and ban all firearms from civilian use, but I'm a centrist Democrat and I agree that this would constitute losing some of our essential character as a nation. So while I'm on the gun control side, I don't support going that far.

I think with these mass shootings, the main thing is that they are psychos. It's not so much the power of the weapon of they are using, but the fact that they are a psycho. Many non-psychos own semiautomatic rifles and don't do mass shootings.

The question is...how do you detect that someone is going to do that? A criminal background check isn't enough, if the guy has no criminal record.

I think we need to add things to that background check (both the instant one and the 10 day one, or whatever the longer one is). For example, if you're seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist, flag. If you're taking medications for a mental disorder, flag. If police have been notified that you might be a psycho, flag.

Anytime somebody falls through the cracks in the system, we need to go back and figure out how they were missed, and see if we can patch that hole. It's a continual battle.
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,488 posts, read 12,262,260 times
Reputation: 8885
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don’t think I can post about that on here.
You can sum it up with out attacking anyone or any group of people. Let’s see...
From what I heard, he was. MrT fan, though immigrants were ruining America, and we all have jobs if they were gone .
 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
15,363 posts, read 13,461,837 times
Reputation: 4679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
He's a lot closer than the Demonics....when I was a kid in school, we prayed and didn't shoot anybody.
When I was a kid in school we didn't pray to start the morning and nobody shot anybody. Instead, the 4th grade teacher started the morning by writing a Memory Gem on the blackboard and expected the kids to write it down in their notebooks. There was more to learn by doing that than by reciting the same prayer every morning. "Waste not, want not."

If parents feel prayer for kids is important, they should lead it at home in the morning before the kids go to school rather than expect the school teacher or anybody at the school to do it. Should a Baptist teacher lead the prayer with Catholic or Jewish kids present? No. Teacher asking kids to step how who don't want to pray would likely lead to bullying.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-04-2019 at 10:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top