U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 11:06 PM

7,175 posts, read 7,061,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
There's always more we can do.

We can be like Britain and Europe and ban all firearms from civilian use, but I'm a centrist Democrat and I agree that this would constitute losing some of our essential character as a nation. So while I'm on the gun control side, I don't support going that far.

I think with these mass shootings, the main thing is that they are psychos. It's not so much the power of the weapon of they are using, but the fact that they are a psycho. Many non-psychos own semiautomatic rifles and don't do mass shootings.

The question is...how do you detect that someone is going to do that? A criminal background check isn't enough, if the guy has no criminal record.

I think we need to add things to that background check (both the instant one and the 10 day one, or whatever the longer one is). For example, if you're seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist, flag. If you're taking medications for a mental disorder, flag. If police have been notified that you might be a psycho, flag.

Anytime somebody falls through the cracks in the system, we need to go back and figure out how they were missed, and see if we can patch that hole. It's a continual battle.
Flagging someone for seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist would be against the medical privacy laws. Besides, people often see these professionals for work or relationship stress or simple depression. They are not in danger of committing crimes. Many Americans are on anti-depressants.. More free mental health counselors, especially in high schools, need to be available.

Registering all newly purchased firearms from the time of a new law forward, not in arrears, would be easier and more effective. AK-47’s and AR-15’s need to be banned from being sold to civilians. (Don’t get excited. I don’t believe in taking away the precious guns you already own.). Also, people younger than 25 should not be able to buy firearms. Testosterone runs rampant in young guys. My suspicion is that testosterone plays a big part in these 20 something mass murderers. Gun shows should have to vet and register gun sales, as well as person to person sales. Parking lot gun sales should be illegal.

It’s hard to flag kids under 18 because of laws that protect privacy of juvenile crimes.

It seems to me that those who want to put all the blame only on mental health alone simply do no want stronger gun laws. We need both.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:06 PM

3,088 posts, read 1,687,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Prayer has power. It is wise to pray for this nation, especially when it is in the condition it is in. Obviously kids lack of prayer in school did not cause this shooter to do what he did. That was caused by sin in our world. Can prayer prevent this kind of violence? Absolutely!
I suppose you believe in Santa Claus too.....dream on.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:07 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,351 posts, read 2,996,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
In Arizona where I now reside as does "mohawkx" it's legal to own a fully automatic weapon that was manufactured before 1986 and it's registered with the federal government along with the payment of a $200 tax stamp.

That's true in every state. It's federal law. Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1987.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 PM

1,720 posts, read 603,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Look, the first mass shooting took place way back on Aug. 1, 1966 from the Texas Tower in Austin. 16 killed, 31 injured. It shocked the nation. I'm sure many were moved to pray for the future of the nation and for God's protection. Decades later in Las Vegas on Oct 2, 2017 a shooter shot 59 dead and injured 527. So, no, I don't think prayer has the power to stop terrible things from happening on a nationwide basis.
How come you count that as the First one and not the numerous shootings of black Americans in the early 20th century and Native Americans in the 19th century?

Old 08-04-2019, 11:19 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,351 posts, read 2,996,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Flagging someone for seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist would be against the medical privacy laws.
Yeah, I'm saying we need to amend them.

Quote:
Besides, people often see these professionals for work or relationship stress or simple depression. They are not in danger of committing crimes.
well, tell that to the victims of the 101 California Street, San Francisco, mass shooting that happened when I was in high school. Guy got stressed out at work and came back and started shooting people. Should have been flagged and had his weapons taken away.

A few weeks ago, here in Silicon Valley, an employee at a Ford dealership got angry with coworkers, walked over to his car, took his firearms out of the locked boxes, loaded them, went back in and shot the coworkers. Another guy who should have been flagged in NICS and had his weapons taken away.

Submariners get psych evals before we are allowed to serve on submarines, in part to make sure we can handle the high level of stress...not everyone can do what we do...some people freak out with a very small amount of stress.

Quote:
Many Americans are on anti-depressants.. More free mental health counselors, especially in high schools, need to be available.
Yep and all those people should be flagged on NICS.

Quote:
Registering all newly purchased firearms from the time of a new law forward, not in arrears, would be easier and more effective. AK-47’s and AR-15’s need to be banned from being sold to civilians. (Don’t get excited. I don’t believe in taking away the precious guns you already own.).
I don't know if this would really help or not. Lots of people own the civilian version of the AR-15 weapons platform -- the civilian version is semiautomatic and can only fire once for each pull of the trigger -- and they don't do mass shootings. I feel like it's mainly an issue of keeping the firearms away from psychos. Although each round fired from an AR-15 platform weapon has the power of a rifle rather than the power of a pistol, so it's still more powerful than a semiautomatic pistol like an M9 (9 mm Beretta).

Quote:
Gun shows should have to vet and register gun sales, as well as person to person sales. Parking lot gun sales should be illegal.
I agree. The gun show loophole is stupid and needs to stop.

Quote:
It seems to me that those who want to put all the blame only on mental health alone simply do no want stronger gun laws. We need both.
Oh I very much favor stronger gun laws. But in the case of mass shooters, it's not so much the power the weapon as the fact that you have psychos getting access to them. imho.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:20 PM

2,454 posts, read 7,809,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Too many lost souls in this society. I think kids who donít have the grades for college (and entrance requirements need to be much tougher) should be required to do at least 2 years in the military.
Actually, this short suggestion is one of better things I have read here on this subject. 45 years ago, when I was a 19 year old, I was sort of a lost soul. I came from a broken home because my father was schizophrenic. It drove my brother to leave home, then my mother left. I was left at home to finish high school, and deal with the mental illness that plagued my father. After high school, I tried a year at community college but did not have much motivation or a plan for what I wanted to do. I decided to enlist in the Army as an escape from living at home with my Dad, and it turned out to be a good thing.

I was in the Army for 3 years, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. It turned me around, gave me some good technical training that opened doors to my subsequent education and work career, and gave me a chance to live outside the USA for most of that 3 years. You learn to appreciate the good things in your own country when you are away from it for an extended time, especially at a younger age. It also trained me on caring for and using an assault rifle for its sole intended purpose, which is not fun, target shooting or hunting animals. You learn to respect that weapon and not treat it as a toy or game.

Mental illness is not a joke, it is one of the most serious and difficult things a person or a society can deal with. Assault weapons are not toys or for sport. Mixing mentally ill people with assault rifles is a recipe for trouble. Somehow, the two need to be kept apart, and we need to figure out why assault rifles are so readily available in the name of "sport" or "second amendment freedoms". Military grade assault weapons should not be in the hands of the public.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:20 PM

2,243 posts, read 852,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
There's always more we can do.

We can be like Britain and Europe and ban all firearms from civilian use, but I'm a centrist Democrat and I agree that this would constitute losing some of our essential character as a nation. So while I'm on the gun control side, I don't support going that far.

I think with these mass shootings, the main thing is that they are psychos. It's not so much the power of the weapon of they are using, but the fact that they are a psycho. Many non-psychos own semiautomatic rifles and don't do mass shootings.

The question is...how do you detect that someone is going to do that? A criminal background check isn't enough, if the guy has no criminal record.

I think we need to add things to that background check (both the instant one and the 10 day one, or whatever the longer one is). For example, if you're seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist, flag. If you're taking medications for a mental disorder, flag. If police have been notified that you might be a psycho, flag.

Anytime somebody falls through the cracks in the system, we need to go back and figure out how they were missed, and see if we can patch that hole. It's a continual battle.
I'd be ok with a federal background check to include using wayback and searching social media like facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram, reddit, 4chan, etc. Would create jobs gor techies, and could be completed in a few weeks.
Also medical records check (no gun if mental health issues), drug screen (hair).

Old 08-04-2019, 11:27 PM

3,897 posts, read 3,558,379 times
Recycled,
Thank you for your service and sensibility.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:34 PM

3,088 posts, read 1,687,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Actually, this short suggestion is one of better things I have read here on this subject. 45 years ago, when I was a 19 year old, I was sort of a lost soul. I came from a broken home because my father was schizophrenic. It drove my brother to leave home, then my mother left. I was left at home to finish high school, and deal with the mental illness that plagued my father. After high school, I tried a year at community college but did not have much motivation or a plan for what I wanted to do. I decided to enlist in the Army as an escape from living at home with my Dad, and it turned out to be a good thing.

I was in the Army for 3 years, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. It turned me around, gave me some good technical training that opened doors to my subsequent education and work career, and gave me a chance to live outside the USA for most of that 3 years. You learn to appreciate the good things in your own country when you are away from it for an extended time, especially at a younger age. It also trained me on caring for and using an assault rifle for its sole intended purpose, which is not fun, target shooting or hunting animals. You learn to respect that weapon and not treat it as a toy or game.

Mental illness is not a joke, it is one of the most serious and difficult things a person or a society can deal with. Assault weapons are not toys or for sport. Mixing mentally ill people with assault rifles is a recipe for trouble. Somehow, the two need to be kept apart, and we need to figure out why assault rifles are so readily available in the name of "sport" or "second amendment freedoms". Military grade assault weapons should not be in the hands of the public.
Recycled: Thanks for the interesting and thoughtful post. My father served about 8 years before you.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:41 PM

30,127 posts, read 15,681,915 times
Nope.

1. Not going to give the psycho the satisfaction.

2. I already know the media has an agenda and selectively reports what will fit that agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or