U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 02:37 PM

46,829 posts, read 34,444,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
One has to be intentionally dense (or worse but I'll get a TOS violation for saying it) to think that what applied and was thought of in 1790 or earlier (or even somewhat later) applies today. The weapons in existence then were nothing like we have today. The population was smaller, population density smaller, the country was new and people were paranoid and not trusting of the new government, there was less of a law enforcement presence and our military was nothing like it is now (like guns can even protect us against what our military has if the gov decides to go rogue and we try to fight back, LOL good one).

I have to wonder what our founding fathers would say on the issue if they knew all that has happened since they put their ideas on paper and signed centuries ago, especially what's happened in more recent decades with the surge in these mass shootings. If they knew of the weapon technology we have today and just everything going on in modern times.

At the time the Constitution was written, women couldn't vote and were basically like their husbands' property and most black people in this country were enslaved, yet we hang onto the Second Amendment and things said about it at the time like it's gospel.
Over the years bills have been introduced in Congress to repeal the 2nd Amendment. None gained traction.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:37 PM

34,087 posts, read 42,525,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The problem with Conservatives in America is that they are really stubborn and donít want to change. So much so where even a class full of children getting killed by a mass shooter doesnít even cause them to bat an eye when it comes to gun laws. Every other modern country changed their gun laws, but not America...with deadly consequences as a result.
And the problem with Liberals in America is that they're dishonest (yes the end goal is total firearm confiscation from civilians) and are never satisfied. There is always "just one more law" that will fix gun problems. Yet that "just one more law" invariably impacts only the law abiding and those who would never misuse a firearm.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:38 PM

12,094 posts, read 5,781,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not a Muslim.
Is this another Trump-inspired white supremacist? With ear protection.
Gosh almighty! That looks like Trump himself .... Jr Trump.
Looks like they have finally have something to hang on Trump.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:40 PM

5,175 posts, read 2,280,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Okay, I heard 10 shots really fast, loud from a rifle maybe? What kind of gun shoots off 10 rounds so fast? Serious question. I do not own a gun.

PS: I am pro-gun for responsible gun owners.
Semi-auto...ÖÖÖ.as fast as you can pull the trigger...Ö...

9,768 posts, read 5,478,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And the problem with Liberals in America is that they're dishonest (yes the end goal is total firearm confiscation from civilians) and are never satisfied. There is always "just one more law" that will fix gun problems. Yet that "just one more law" invariably impacts only the law abiding and those who would never misuse a firearm.
I understand there are so called liberals that are vocal about banning guns all together...

But bolded is in correct as a whole. Roughly 20-25% of gun ownership here are self identified as democrats/liberals and much of the lower numbers are attributed to living in strict gun states/areas. Vermont is a democratic state with lax gun laws..

33,641 posts, read 14,172,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well, this conservative would like to see some changes.

Gun free zones are an ongoing disaster created by people that think mass murderers will obey gun laws.

Everyone should be carrying a firearm...especially in schools and other public venues where these things regularly occur.

As for your brilliant plan to disarm the victims before the attack, last I heard trucks are still legal in France and kitchen knives are still legal in the UK.

Care to guess what you use to stop a mass murderer using a truck or kitchen knife to kill a bunch of people?

That's right.

You use a gun.

The good guys show up with guns and kill the bastards.

The only reason they manage to kill as many people as they do using trucks and kitchen knives is the good guys with the guns usually take a few minutes to get there.

We could cut that time down considerably if ordinary people, the ones already there, already had the guns where they needed to be.
If everyone had a gun in the mall what would you expect other than more friendly fire shootings, how would anyone determine the shooter. This is Texas by the way, we will wait to see if there were concealed carry holders.

2,843 posts, read 4,544,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This is my main concern about open carry.....

In the chaos of an active shooter situation, too many people will start equating the sight of a visible weapon as the shooter and start shooting each other.
We have a friend who carries everywhere. He usually has one of his units shirts or hats on all the time lol! If I'm out anywhere and saw someone like him, he would be the one I would want to be behind or around because he's a pretty damn good shot and he can take care of first aid too.

1,539 posts, read 446,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How do you know the status of the female shoppers?
Listening to the news and some of the interviews. Plus itís common sense, as itís Walmart on a Saturday morning.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:41 PM

11,926 posts, read 9,473,960 times
Another AK gun nut... smh n

Old 08-03-2019, 02:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 1,804,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
here's the shooter:

Oh great. In before the host of incoming threads about Black people to distract us from this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or