U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 01:16 PM

12,426 posts, read 3,366,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As mentioned, you are free to go to places with 3 and 4X the gun violence. The odds are still in your favor, but some of those places might give you red tide, flesh eating bacteria and brain-eating amebas...and now Hepititas and other such stuff.

But it it suits you, wear it.

I surely understand leaving NY.....many people do....but not because they want to expand their hobbies.
Did you sell your part time place there, or was all of that not enough ?

Old 08-05-2019, 02:18 PM

7,456 posts, read 1,694,594 times
The shooter's manifesto used the word "invasion" several times.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM

35,796 posts, read 32,529,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Sure. The rabid "shall not be infringed" group are against anything whatsoever that curtails anybody from purchasing a gun. Federal Gun control bills never pass unless they're watered down to a meaningless level of actual control by republicans and the NRA.
Plus the fact that almost as many democrats and lefties own guns as the right does.

Responsible gun ownership is the key. Purchasing liability insurance is being a responsible gun owner. AS IN: being legally responsible for the weapons you own.

Only law needing to get passed is 1. "All firearms purchases shall be required to have 250,000.00 liability insurance policy in order to possess."

That way you don't fight the meaning of the 2nd amendment and the question of "Shall not be infringed" and the meaning of "Reasonable restrictions" will be settled once and for all and we can move on from this endless fight.

Democrats will never win the fight to ban guns or large caliber semi auto weapons. That ship has already sailed and the genie cannot be put back in the bottle.
but requiring responsible gun ownership by all gun owners through liability insurance is a very doable action and it would mitigate the access to weapons by marginal individuals.

Nothing will eliminate the crazy person going on a killing rampage. But this solution will dramatically alter the firearms playing field.
Let's try something new for a change instead of doing the same failed thing over and over.

FYI: I am a collector and trader in exotic firearms for over 40 years. I believe that the SCOTUS Heller decision of A. Scalia got it right. The 2nd is an individual right meant for each American by the founding fathers. It is also subject to reasonable restrictions as is every other amendment in the BOR.

Requiring insurance for a firearm is a reasonable restriction and it is a benchmark for responsible gun ownership.

Right wing rabid "shall not be infringed" advocates will be outraged by the proposition because they will immediately recognise it as a threat they can't squash.
Home owners and renters insurance already cover my weapons.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'm a retired 76 year old white male of American Indian Mother and Lithuanian father. I was born on the res and grew up there. I retired from the military as E-7 and did 4 combat tours in Vietnam. My last duty assignment before being discharged was as a gunnery instructor at Damneck, Va. the place where they currently train all the seals. I was never a seal, as they did not exist when I served.

I have never sold insurance in my life and early on in life you had to drag me kicking and screaming to the insurance agent to purchase the minimum required by law.

I spend a lot of time at the range. I've met many individuals who are idiots when it comes to safe gun handling and responsible firearm ownership. I have lost count years ago, how many times I've packed up my gear and left, just because a pack of drunken idiots just pulled up next to me with a load of guns, a case of empty glass bottles and an old TV they were going to shoot up and leave all over our range. I get used bowling pins from the local alley and keep a case in my trunk and whenever a group brings glass to the range to shoot, I offer to give them the bowling pins if they'll let me have their glass in exchange. There are more desert ranges that have been shut down in our area of Arizona by the park service than I can count because of irresponsible shooters who leave the place a mess with all the old crap they want to get rid of in their house.

This is why I feel it's time to institute some more responsible gun ownership laws on a federal level. It's based on experience of too many ass holes who have guns and don't know how to use them.
The cidiots that leave trash at outdoor ranges wouldn't be the type to have insurance anymore than they would car insurance. I know the gang banger types you speak of though. Seen it way too many times. They also trash our mountains when it snows.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:30 PM

3,383 posts, read 1,916,705 times
Quote:
I'm a retired 76 year old white male of American Indian Mother and Lithuanian father. I was born on the res and grew up there. I retired from the military as E-7 and did 4 combat tours in Vietnam. My last duty assignment before being discharged was as a gunnery instructor at Damneck, Va. the place where they currently train all the seals. I was never a seal, as they did not exist when I served.

I have never sold insurance in my life and early on in life you had to drag me kicking and screaming to the insurance agent to purchase the minimum required by law.

Quote:
I spend a lot of time at the range. I've met many individuals who are idiots when it comes to safe gun handling and responsible firearm ownership. I have lost count years ago, how many times I've packed up my gear and left, just because a pack of drunken idiots just pulled up next to me with a load of guns, a case of empty glass bottles and an old TV they were going to shoot up and leave all over our range. I get used bowling pins from the local alley and keep a case in my trunk and whenever a group brings glass to the range to shoot, I offer to give them the bowling pins if they'll let me have their glass in exchange. There are more desert ranges that have been shut down in our area of Arizona by the park service than I can count because of irresponsible shooters who leave the place a mess with all the old crap they want to get rid of in their house.
This is why I feel it's time to institute some more responsible gun ownership laws on a federal level. It's based on experience of too many ass holes who have guns and don't know how to use them.
First let me thank you for your service to this great nation. That's really something to be proud of.

I'm with you 100% with all of that. If there's one thing I can't stand it's litter and graffiti. I've seen enough of that when I lived in New York. But it's not just gun owners. We do have laws against littering and graffiti too. No matter where you go you're gonna' find people who have no respect for their surroundings. Thoughtless pigs and slobs. You can institute all the laws in the world and there's still gonna' be thoughtless pigs and slobs.

I now live in Arizona and it's not nearly as bad here as it was out there. Upstate wasn't too bad but the closer you got to the cities it was an absolute garbage dump. Fast food containers, empty bottles, newspapers, cardboard boxes, you name it strewn on both sides of the highway. People would just go to McDonald's or KFC grab a quick meal, hop into their vehicles, eat while they're driving and then toss the contents out the window. At least where I am in Arizona you hardly see any of that. Why anyone would want to trash this beautiful state is beyond me? Myself, I rarely go to a range I prefer to drive out into the desert and do my shooting there. The only thing I leave behind are foot prints. I pick up all of my spent shell casings as well.

There is one popular spot near where I live which is just as you've described. I never go there as I don't want any part of it. However every year they have a massive clean up by some of those who use the place. They all get together, bring their trucks and haul all of the garbage outta' there. My guess is that THEY are in the majority otherwise they wouldn't even bother? It only takes a minority who use the place to ruin things for the rest. Indeed people can be their own worst enemies with regards to that.

Alcohol and firearms don't mix either. I certainly don't want to be around a bunch of drunks while target shooting that's for sure. But of the few times that I've been to a popular shooting spot I haven't seen any of that. Not only that but get stopped for a DUI while in possession of a firearm and you forfeit your right to own one. I don't have any problems with that.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:31 PM

3,383 posts, read 1,916,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The cidiots that leave trash at outdoor ranges wouldn't be the type to have insurance anymore than they would car insurance. I know the gang banger types you speak of though. Seen it way too many times. They also trash our mountains when it snows.
Excellent point!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
The shooter's manifesto used the word "invasion" several times.

The term invasion, which it is, has been used since the 90s.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:44 PM

10,026 posts, read 5,588,991 times
Turning one's rights over to a profit driven company that determines whether or not one can use their rights.......that sure sounds like an insane sci fi story.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 PM

12,333 posts, read 11,406,715 times
Well we moved to an Island to remove ourselves from the madness.

The last straw came about 4 years ago while living in Scripps Ranch near San Diego. On a Saturday morning about 0600 I was just heading out to work. Not a car except me. Two lane road with canyon on one side condo's on the other. As I pulled out I saw dimly a set of headlights about 400 yards away. Within 5 seconds the vehicle came screaming on my bumper, honking, flashed around me over the double yellow and stopped in front of me. I am typically non plussed but this guy got my attention. Normally I would be armed but in Cali I would be a felon if I was...

He began to exit his vehicle and I decided If he has a weapon I am going to run him over and kill him....Now just think how completely crazy that was...Nothing going on Saturday morning.

I hit him with my PIAA lights blinding him and he returned to his car and screeched off. I have to this day no idea if he was armed. In a matter of minutes my life could have changed forever.

So I went home and told the bride we were moving to an island off the Coast of Washington. I got hired, we moved and now I carry legally and with also an expandable baton. The laws are very clear here that if a person is defending themselves from harm one is lawfully entitled to defend oneself.

We are happy here. People say good morning in the parking lots of Wal Mart to us as complete strangers and we honor people. If someone goes sideways we, as citizens, can discharge our lawful duties.

This madness is not going anywhere soon. Get trained. Protect yourselves.

I can only shake my head in remorse for those who died and pray it does not occur again.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:53 PM

4,258 posts, read 1,107,097 times
Quote:

So you think the government is evil (putting people in cages) and you think we should all have our weapons turned in to the same evil government you think is going to protect us?

Unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or