U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,946 posts, read 16,996,188 times
Reputation: 26538

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I doubt this is mental illness, it is hate. If that is mental illness then at least 1 out of 10 Americans needs to be put in an asylum.
Frankly, I don't believe that 1 in 10 is that far off the mark. This is more than hate. People hate. That doesn't make them act out on that hate. When your brain is screwed up, that's when you act out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Did you click "view" in the tweet and scroll through the pics, it's like 4 pages long, about a page per picture?

It's titled "The Inconvenient Truth", Page 1 has "About Me", "Political Reasons", and "Economic Reasons", Page 2 has "Reaction" and "Personal Reasons and Thoughts", Page 3 at the bottom has "Gear", which also goes onto Page 4.
The pics. That's the problem. They are just pics. Where's the link to the manifesto? If you read through the comments, many people are saying that it's already been debunked. One or the other is correct, we don't know yet, but pics are not proof of jack squat, especially on fricken Twitter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for that MyLife thing, that is also not reliable. Didn't we go through this in the past where someone went to a criminal's MyLife page and wrote in that they were "Democrat" party? I swear we've been through this before, and yet people keep falling for it.

MyLife is not accurate. They don't even have MY information accurate - I would never use or trust them to tell me anything about anyone.

People need to wait for more concrete, valid, proven evidence before claiming something is true. "Pics" and "MyLife" ain't it.

 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:12 PM
 
6,425 posts, read 2,731,887 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
States began closing asylums in the 50ís when conditions became political embarrassments and state funding
dried up. The Reagan Adminís role was cutting Federal Funding to states.

Itís cheaper to warehouse those who are violent in prison.

Most seriously mentally ill people don't view themselves as ill and donít seek mental health services.
The mental houses closed up as you said because of funding.
It is always about money.
Those mental houses will not be coming back either.
Why?
Because no one wants to pay for it.
It is always about money.
We worship money in this country.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Barrington
46,705 posts, read 34,397,082 times
Reputation: 15515
Media now reporting at least 27 were shot, ranging in age from 2-82.

AP reporting at least 15 are dead.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,195 posts, read 2,814,740 times
Reputation: 7046
Since the usual response by the right-wingers in cases like this is, "Notice how this always happens in places where guns aren't allowed," we have here a case where indeed guns are allowed. Not to mention that they even sell guns in Walmart.

What is Walmart's open carry gun policy in Texas?
Quote:
Wal-Mart does not post the 30.07 sign, which is the sole valid written/printed notice of trespass that is binding on LTC (formerly CHL) holders and prohibits entry while carrying a handgun in plain sight. Therefore, customers may legally enter Texas Wal-Marts while carrying openly with a permit.
So there you have it. The argument that events like this would not happen if people were allowed to carry guns with them in places where mass shootings might occur has been given a death knell. Not only does Walmart sell guns, but in Texas Walmart allows people to open carry in the store with them.

See how much good that did? Absolutely none.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
9,991 posts, read 5,571,953 times
Reputation: 8478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There is a difference between a gang-involved shooting in the Bronx or somewhere in Chicago, and a mass shooting at a Walmart where innocent people are shopping.

Gun violence in general sucks but sorry, some is worse and scarier to imagine than others. A large amount of gun crime happens in situations most people probably wouldn't find themselves in (some inner city or drug-related violence scenario) but anyone can go to the movies, school, work, a store, a festival, a concert, etc. - and apparently be gunned down in a mass shooting for no reason. It's scary to imagine that these mundane, every day public places can be targeted and totally innocent people can be taken out by some psycho who should never have had access to a gun. It can't be reasoned with in the same way the gang members killed in a drive by can be - you can say, "well they lived a risky life of crime or were involved with drugs, that's dangerous." But what do you say about today? "Oh, they were just shopping or at work." Yeah, what's worse to you?

We could say the same about a car bomb.....and that's rather just as easy if not easier.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,488 posts, read 12,266,126 times
Reputation: 8885
More than sad. Breaks my heart that some imbecile Coward just ends peopleís lives. These folks need a speedy trial and death.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,406 posts, read 2,177,718 times
Reputation: 7133
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
States began closing asylums in the 50ís when conditions became political embarrassments and state funding
dried up. The Reagan Adminís role was cutting Federal Funding to states.

Itís cheaper to warehouse those who are violent in prison.

Most seriously mentally ill people don't view themselves as ill and donít seek mental health services.
Yet in those days, most of these type of people found their ways into mental institutions, before they got to the point of mass killings. Unfortunately I don't think we will ever see those days again. Because liberals think it's a violation of the human rights of the mentally ill to lock them up in mental institutions, and conservatives just don't want to pay for it. So it will not be on the table.

The only way this will ever stop is to reopen the mental institutions and start controlling guns. I don't think one or the other would be enough. It would take both, and the chances of either happening, are close to zero.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:20 PM
 
34,558 posts, read 18,766,753 times
Reputation: 7676
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There is a difference between a gang-involved shooting in the Bronx or somewhere in Chicago, and a mass shooting at a Walmart where innocent people are shopping.
Yes there is. But why do certain people only come out when there more than 3 people are killed/shot, yet don't care about anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Gun violence in general sucks but sorry, some is worse and scarier to imagine than others. A large amount of gun crime happens in situations most people probably wouldn't find themselves in (some inner city or drug-related violence scenario) but anyone can go to the movies, school, work, a store, a festival, a concert, etc. - and apparently be gunned down in a mass shooting for no reason.

Yes, no doubt, but tell us, does it matter the situation that you are gunned down in, no matter where you are? What you describe is the problem.....you dismiss one for the other....





Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's scary to imagine that these mundane, every day public places can be targeted and totally innocent people can be taken out by some psycho who should never have had access to a gun. It can't be reasoned with in the same way the gang members killed in a drive by can be - you can say, "well they lived a risky life of crime or were involved with drugs, that's dangerous." But what do you say about today? "Oh, they were just shopping or at work." Yeah, what's worse to you?

If you don't car about one, you cannot care about the other...why you ask, because in the end, gun deaths are compiled into one number..... think about that....really....
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:21 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 268,032 times
Reputation: 1682
I'm just catching up on this...my God..19 people dead.
And one sick 21 year old in custody. Why are young people going on violence sprees ?
The only facts that were presented was that he graduated HS, was a loner and thought work sucked.
No college.

A manifesto was found on 8chan by some reporter but not definitely connected to the shooter by the FBI.

So sad that one so young went on a shooting spree killing innocent people.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:22 PM
 
22,185 posts, read 16,871,325 times
Reputation: 8926
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Media now reporting at least 27 were shot, ranging in age from 2-82.

AP reporting at least 15 are dead.
I live in El Paso. No one at this point knows how many people were killed. University Medical Center reports that they received thirteen of the shooting victims. Del Sol Medical Center took eleven of the shooting victims. Of those eleven, two are in stable condition, and nine are in critical but stable condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top