U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 05:46 PM

27,021 posts, read 11,349,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There were 350 white extremist terrorism attacks from 2011 through 2017. All indications are, that this is another one. But even if it's not, white nationalism is the leading cause of mass killings.

Attacks by White Extremists Are Growing. So Are Their Connections. - The New York Times
That's not true.

Despite their extreme visibility, public mass killings account for the smallest proportion of all mass murders.

Familicides represent the most common form of mass murder and are principally defined by a close victim-offender relationship. Perpetrators are typically White, middle-aged males who target their spouse or intimate partner, children, and other relatives

Fridel found that blacks commit twice as many felony mass shootings as whites (50.49 percent versus 22.33 percent), so it’s not surprising that blacks are overrepresented in this group:

In most instances, the murders serve to eliminate witnesses of a robbery, drug crime, or gang-related attack. Due to their general lack of sensationalism, felony killings are not widely publicized despite representing the second largest category of mass murder

https://centerforinquiry.org/blog/wh...aphics-part-2/

Old 08-03-2019, 05:47 PM

30,043 posts, read 15,669,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's not true.

Despite their extreme visibility, public mass killings account for the smallest proportion of all mass murders.

Familicides represent the most common form of mass murder and are principally defined by a close victim-offender relationship. Perpetrators are typically White, middle-aged males who target their spouse or intimate partner, children, and other relatives

Fridel found that blacks commit twice as many felony mass shootings as whites (50.49 percent versus 22.33 percent), so it’s not surprising that blacks are overrepresented in this group:

In most instances, the murders serve to eliminate witnesses of a robbery, drug crime, or gang-related attack. Due to their general lack of sensationalism, felony killings are not widely publicized despite representing the second largest category of mass murder

Facts don't change irrational fear.

8,791 posts, read 5,474,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Yup, and the government, the media and law enforcement refuse to call domestic mass shootings like this "terrorism." They only use the terror word if the shooter is a foreigner or is a Muslim. They never call a right wing terrorist a terrorist.
I agree.

12,331 posts, read 3,341,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Really great post. Thank you for articulating much better than I could a few pages back. I know some people are already thinking “everyone in Texas has a gun, how come nobody shot back?”.

I’d like to respond to that with “because what TMYK said”.
Stereotypes about Texas abound, even in the heads of graduate degreed professionals (who obviously aren't idiots) who have lived in other parts of Texas, but never left their areas when they lived here.

Multiple households in my family had lived in El Paso in the past, but when I moved from California to the Houston metro in the late 2000s, the thoughts that they had about what life is like in other parts of modern day Texas.....well, is appropriate.

ETA: You might have experienced something similar, having also moved from the Bay Area to the Texas Urban Triangle.

Last edited by RMESMH; 08-03-2019 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 05:48 PM

31,688 posts, read 19,800,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m glad this turd was caught alive. I wish they’d use him as a guinea pig and experiment on his brain. We need to know what makes creepers like this tick.
This is reportedly the shooters manifesto of which you will find what made him tick.

Quote:
“In general, I support the Christchurch shooter and his manifesto. This attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas. They are the instigators, not me. I am simply defending my country from cultural and ethnic replacement brought on by an invasion. Some people will think this statement is hypocritical because of the nearly complete ethnic and cultural destruction brought to the Native Americans by our European ancestors, but this just reinforces my point. The natives didn’t take the invasion of Europeans seriously, and now what’s left is just a shadow of what was. My motives for this attack are not at all personal. Actually the Hispanic community was not my target before I read The Great Replacement. This manifesto will cover the political and economic reasons behind the attack, my gear, my expectations of what response this will generate and my personal motivations and thoughts.”
https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/patrick-crusius/

9,354 posts, read 2,868,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's not true.

Well that's comforting. Not. Give all those stats to the families of those killed today.

30,043 posts, read 15,669,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree.
Do you know the definition of terrorism?

Probably not since the vast majority of mass shootings in the US don't fit the definition of terrorism.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:49 PM

2,832 posts, read 4,539,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Does Trump's constant hate-speech against Mexicans and other people of color fan the flames of hatred that glow in the hearts of the white supremacists?
You mean the media made "hate-speech" they pin on Trump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are about 90 Walmart’s in Texas.
Shooter chose to make a 10 hour drive across Texas to the El Paso Walmart for a reason.
It is El Paso. Where you can be in the US and see the slums of Mexico from the interstate. There is also a military base very close to this location so it could be any reason. I am curious though what they find out his reasoning is.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:50 PM

9,354 posts, read 2,868,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you know the definition of terrorism?

Probably not since the vast majority of mass shootings in the US don't fit the definition of terrorism.
I'm sure the victims were plenty terrified despite definitions.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:51 PM

35,721 posts, read 32,470,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
White people are losing their minds because they think the country becoming more diverse is going to threaten them.
Diverse meaning illegally coming here and doing what you want? No, that's not what it means scholar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or