Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 05:51 PM

25,409 posts, read 9,717,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Diverse meaning illegally coming here and doing what you want? No, that's not what it means scholar.
There is plenty of diversity here already thankfully. And it's making some people eff'n crazy.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:52 PM

15,048 posts, read 10,022,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Yep...you missed it.
I didn't miss anything... you are just not comprehending.

Your words "If I'm out anywhere and saw someone like him, "

Someone who looks like him wouldn't necessary NOT be the active shooter nor trained in a firearm. As many already pointed out, he may not even be armed or be more interested in exiting than protect your rear end.

Again.. you are living in a movie.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:52 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,496,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'm sure the victims were plenty terrified despite definitions.
So, everytime there is a crime were a person is afraid it's terrorism?

If yes, you're a liberal.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,539,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
That’s interesting because every time a mass shooting happened in a gun free zone, you guys said “hey this wouldn’t happen in a state that was open/concealed carry - you need a good guy with a gun”.

Now that it has, the excuse is carry people aren’t looking for gunfights? That’s a hell of a cop out when you’ve been saying the opposite for all the other shootings.

Clearly a mass shooting in a concealed carry zone is no different than a gun free zone.
This is not the first mass shooting in Texas. And some have occurred in areas that were clearly not gun free zones and plenty of people open carried.

A decal on a store window with the gun free zone symbol does not prevent anyone from entering with a concealed carry. People don’t go through metal detectors and stores don’t search incoming patrons.

Worst ( or best , depending on perspective) case is someone may be asked to leave if a C/C is detected.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Facts don't change irrational fear.
Irrational? I'm sure those affected by today's shooting wouldn't agree.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:54 PM

2,893 posts, read 1,828,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
There is plenty of diversity here already thankfully. And it's making some people eff'n crazy.
There's too much diversity and multiculturalism already. No one can agree on anything anymore and what direction this country should go. We've lost our shared goals, ideals, values etc...

Old 08-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, everytime there is a crime were a person is afraid it's terrorism?

If yes, you're a liberal.
I would say so yes. Especially when it's a mass shooting and you have at least a 1,000 people running for their lives. Have you ever been the victim of a mass shooting?

Old 08-03-2019, 05:55 PM

42,248 posts, read 17,626,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
White people are losing their minds because they think the country becoming more diverse is going to threaten them.
Do you really believe what you just wrote ?

I would think the race riots of the 60's would have produced mass shootings if that were the case.
Those were some violent times and not even comparable to illegals entering the country today.

8,683 posts, read 4,487,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Our Revolutionary War is proof enough that we need guns for protection. At least the men see that. The children are too busy running and hiding waiting for government to protect them.
Bingo.

2,182 posts, read 1,372,912 times
I have studied this thing a bit. I noticed that almost all mass shootings occur within confined spaces : mall, movie theater, tramway (in Utrecht, Netherlands), class, place of worship, nightclub, concert, etc. There are rare exceptions to this rule but statistically you are safer on the street or on the road. It's when you enter a closed space that danger levels rise.

I had people I knew or knew of present or close to the following high profile mass shootings :

-Acquaintance of my friend died in the Utoya mass shooting in 2011
-Half sister who lives in LA arrived in downtown Santa Barbara right around the time of the 2014 mass shooting
-Acquaintance worked security at the Bataclan and was right in the middle of it. He later was honored for saving many lives by going in and out to get people out through the emergency exit
-Friend of friends died in the mosque shooting in Quebec in 2017

The recurring pattern in these events is that those who remain in place get shot (hidden behind tables, pillars, bodies), those who run get away, and almost no one fights back. When they do, the shooting stops. Rushing the shooter is the best strategy but it needs to be done as a group.

Many people at the Christchurch mosque simply cowered and tried to use each other as shields. They all died but a few, massed against a wall. Playing dead will not work when the shooter is methodical like in Christchurch or Utoya, they made sure to come back and double tap everybody. The majority of those who ran lived. That's what you need to do. Run as soon as you can. Maybe you will have to wait for an opportunity.

The thing is you have to be able recognize there is a shooting going on in the first place. Even if you hear gunshots, or see someone with a gun, you might logically assume someone is being targeted for whatever reason. In the current context where we are counting down the days to the next mass killing, we should assume that a person walking openly with a firearm in hand (not holstered) outside of hunting areas range is a potential mass shooter, same if you hear gunshots. You better believe there is a mass shooting going on and you are the next target. Carry legally if you can. I know for a fact that some people in Europe and elsewhere now carry regardless of the legality of it. Just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.