U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 PM

10,039 posts, read 5,592,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yep. I agree. Forced to get help and obviously have their guns taken away and be flagged in NICS.

It is a gun control issue, but controlling the guns of specific individuals.

Maybe people should have to take a psych test regularly, including before buying their first firearm, if they are to continue to own firearms. One concern I would have is that some might turn the psych test into a political test: voted for Trump? no firearms for you. That wouldn't be right. But I think we all agree that psychos are not responsible owners of weapons.

Another issue is that many veterans suffer from PTSD, and to do this right would mean those poor bastards have to get flagged in NICS as well. I hate to say that, as a veteran, but if a psychiatrist finds that your PTSD is a form which could make you violent, you probably need to be flagged in NICS.

It's a hard problem. But yes, I agree, in terms of mass shooters, it is a mental health issue. Identifying them and dealing with them.

The problem is that if it is applied to one thing in the Bill of Rights, why shouldn't be applied to all things in the Bill of Rights?

Further, rights are not issued by the government but by an almighty. Why should you have to take a test before you can use your rights?

Finally, for example, do a crime (do a crime we think you have done) that we don't approve of? Before you get the 5th, the 8th, the 4th and the 6th, we have to test you to see if you are worthy of such.

See what a slippery slope it can quickly become in the hands of the powerful?

9,150 posts, read 2,595,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Pretty sure you are mixing up your crazed gun-toting shooters.
Yeah probably. Was he the idiot who shot Reagan?
Yeah he was I stand corrected. Its hard to keep track.

8,837 posts, read 5,501,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
At all the construction job sites I have worked at.....the Hispanic workers have always been the nicest and most hardworking bunch I have ever met. Always smiling, making jokes and playing their music. Happy people who are grateful for what they have, even if it means hard work for little pay.

I used to be anti-immigrant myself...until I started interacting and working with these people...and my mind was completely changed. We NEED these people. They are an essential piece of the fabric in America. We should be making their lives easier here, not harder.
You talking blasphemy to people on the right, you probably nearly gave one of them a stroke.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 PM

1,949 posts, read 491,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
People biases are so strong it prevents from understanding very simple sentenses. The guy hates both parties and blames corporations and Hispanics. Why do you feel the need to add your prejudices on somebody else?
From his manifesto...

Quote:
So the Democrats are nearly unanimous with their support of immigration
while the Republicans are divided over it. At least with Republicans, the process of mass immigration
and citizenship can be greatly reduced.
https://media.8ch.net/file_store/7e1...3402d39934.pdf

Sounds like he leans Republican if you ask me.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 PM

3,383 posts, read 1,917,581 times
Quote:
We elect representatives to run our government....it's a Democracy!
I guess you don't know how to read or not even bothered? As it does not suit your agenda.

Quote:
A Constitutional Republic is a form of government where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, representatives mandated to govern according to existing constitutional law. It is because of this mandate that the elected class in a Constitutional Republic is limited in their power over the citizenry. The United States of America was created as and intended to survive as a Constitutional Republic.

Our Constitutional Republic is separated into three separate but equal branches of government; the Executive, Legislative and Judicial, represented by the Presidency, Congress and the Courts. Because of this no branch has a rein on absolute power thus assuring that there will be checks and balances to the governmental system and protection for the rule of law.

Through the elected representation employed by our Constitutional Republic the influence of the majority is tempered by protections for individual rights as mandated by constitutional law. Our form of government is deliberate in its attempt to thwart majoritarianism, thereby protecting political dissent and individuals and minority groups from the "tyranny of the majority" by placing checks on the power of the majority of the population. The power of the majority of the people is checked by limiting that power to electing representatives who are required to legislate with limits of overarching constitutional law which a simple majority cannot modify.

"A pure unbridled democracy is a political system in which the majority enjoys absolute power by means of democratic elections. In an unvarnished democracy, unrestrained by a constitution, the majority can vote to impose tyranny on themselves and the minority opposition. They can vote to elect those who will infringe upon our inalienable God-given rights. Thomas Jefferson referred to this as elected despotism in Notes on the State of Virginia (also cited in Federalist 48 by Madison):"

Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 2,595,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You talking blasphemy to people on the right, you probably nearly gave one of them a stroke.
Not if they are talking Legal Immigrants.

Illegals? we dont need. We produce enough criminals petty and otherwise on our own. No need to import more.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:35 PM

32,949 posts, read 16,861,923 times
Quote:
From his manifesto...

https://media.8ch.net/file_store/7e1...3402d39934.pdf

Sounds like he leans Republican if you ask me.
Not fair to use facts.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:36 PM

14,346 posts, read 6,210,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Amazing how these white male shooters always get arrested without a scratch on them.
Yeah, thatís what happens when you drop your weapon and surrender to police. Plenty of non-white folks also get arrested that way. Obviously the new thing is for these crazies to live to watch how itís reported so they can get the attention they crave. Too bad the media is fully committed to accommodating that. I still say we should stop talking about the shooter and his manifesto, and just call him the shooter or loser.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,372 posts, read 3,004,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The problem is that if it is applied to one thing in the Bill of Rights, why shouldn't be applied to all things in the Bill of Rights?

Everything in the Bill of Rights is limited. We have a right "peaceably to assemble" but can't block a freeway. We have a right to free speech but can't reveal classified information.

You have a right to own a firearm, but not if you're a felon or a psycho.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:38 PM

14,851 posts, read 9,890,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Yes, the terrorist has his rally points all over his manifesto & worries about Texas going Blue.
Surely there must be a red hat somewhere in the trunk. Check the radio presets too. What station is Rush Limbaugh at in El Paso?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or