U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 10:36 PM

24,826 posts, read 12,229,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We are all damned sick and tired of these mass shootings and of congress and trump doing NOTHING! Thoughts and prayers are not working.
And neither is gun control.

11,360 posts, read 11,092,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Shootings are only caused by white men? Go to Chicago and tell me that is true
Talking about irrelevant gang violence in Chicago won't change the fact about parkland, Charleston, Gilroy and now El paso.

All were angry white males with right wing ideologies

Last edited by chopchop0; 08-03-2019 at 11:08 PM..

635 posts, read 164,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
What racism?
Racism against whites.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:38 PM

20,017 posts, read 22,942,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
They are personal protection and safety... Not to play Rambo. Stop playing arm chair hero... This was explained in CHL classes.

It is an extremely chaotic situation with so many unknowns.

I don't know how many or who are active shooters.

Cops don't know who I am.

Others don't know who I am.

I don't want to accidentally shoot an innocent and have to live with that the rest of my life.

A concealed weapon allows you the choice on when you have to use it... Once it is brandished.. The situation makes that decision for you.

Several licensed owners have explained in this very thread. It's stupid to play hero.... You will either are lucky or dead.... Not good chances. It's stupidity to think otherwise. Think.
I'm not "playing armchair hero". I would run too. I just don't pretend to be some kind of "tough guy because I wear a gun" - nor do I use the argument that having "a good guy with a gun" is going to somehow save the day in such a situation - as many such "tough guys" on this board have done repeatedly. Does it happen sometimes like that? Yeah, on a few occasions. Mostly though the civilians with a guy run just like everyone else and their having a gun doesn't make a bit of difference to the outcome.

When faced with such a situation most people run - even those with their own gun. That's just reality - and in all honesty probably the smart thing to do - let those TRAINED to deal with it, DEAL with it.

Ken

Old 08-03-2019, 10:39 PM

864 posts, read 1,456,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovedrive View Post
Ban all guns. Make it a felony. Most would give them up

That's not a very well thought out plan. I'm all for restricting gun ownership and banning weapons such as AK-47's, but there are many people and companies on the other side that would resist this, if not make it impossible. Democrats have to bring reasonable solutions and work to decrease the amount and types of guns over the long-term.

On the flip side, there are countries with very high homicide rates that have very strict gun laws. Strict gun laws might help curb some of this, but it certainly wouldn't stop it. Some would find ways to sneak gun parts in under the radar. Just like during prohibition, the illegal gun trade into the U.S. would grow if the U.S. put strict laws into place.

You would see an increase in homemade bombs and people using cars as weapons, such as was done in France.

Again, I'm all for way stricter gun laws myself and think the 2nd Amendment is a scapegoat to allow loose gun laws.

"In Federalist No. 46, Madison wrote how a federal army could be kept in check by state militias, "a standing army ... would be opposed [by] a militia." He argued that state militias "would be able to repel the danger" of a federal army...

In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the Supreme Court ruled that, "The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second Amendments [sic] means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress, and has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the National Government."

In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment did not protect weapon types not having a "reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia."

It wasn't until recently that the Supreme Court held the 2nd Amendment to pertain to an individual's right to bear arms. From what I understand about the beginnings of the U.S., I would think the 2nd Amendment would pertain to a "well regulated militia." I don't see how an individual owning an AK-47 is the same as a well regulated militia.

While a crackdown on guns might help some, I think you're only seeing one part of a complex problem that is plaguing the U.S. at this time. The internet is a major factor in this as well. Radicals have outlets to communicate with other radicals, they have access to purchase weapons as never before, social isolation is growing, and the need to be popular through social media is deemed important. Someone who feels their life has no meaning is sitting at home and seeing all the attention given to other mass shooters. They have an instant path to infamy. I think a lot of this is how we have structured modern day society.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:40 PM

228 posts, read 48,531 times
Alt right white nationalist domestic terrorism and hate crimes will continue to increase until steps are taken to decrease/eliminate it and these sub-humans are treated like international terrorists from outside of America. Unfortunately this is not happening under our current administration...what a sad time in America!

Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 PM

20,823 posts, read 8,966,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
So you blame liberal violence on Trump. Never take responsibility. :-)

Quick. What’s liberal and has an IQ of 100?

Nothing!
Exactly. Trump should take responsibility for trying to turn us against each other. We are so much better than to allow this.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Alt right white nationalist domestic terrorism and hate crimes will continue to increase until steps are taken to decrease/eliminate it and these sub-humans are treated like international terrorists from outside of America. Unfortunately this is not happening under our current administration...what a sad time in America!
Trump needs every deplorable voter he can get for 2020. There will be crickets from the right on this issue. And all of this blood is on their hands

Old 08-03-2019, 10:43 PM

334 posts, read 163,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Excuse me if I don't take the word of a mass murderer on face value.

He said that to isolate Trump from blame. WHY would he do that? The answer is simple - to try protect Trump from the blame.

But Trump IS to blame. He sets the tone - and he has done so REPEATEDLY.

Ken

But the Democrats constant advocacy for open borders / free healthcare for illegals / abolish ICE and DHS / amnesty and a path to citizenship for tens of millions of illegals that we aren't even allowed to count, can't be considered a motivation for the shooter?

If the goal is to stop like-minded people, howsabout Republicans denounce anti-immigrant / white supremacy and Democrats guarantee their open borders and incentive programs and calls for granting citizenship aren't really an ethic replacement and political tide change agenda?

Old 08-03-2019, 10:44 PM

The precise contents of the manifesto, a document appearing on the website 8chan before the shooting rampage, spoke about the “invasion” of Latino immigrants and noted that the writer agreed with the shooter who killed scores of worshipers in March at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. The document was uploaded by an anonymous user who posted another document under the file name “P._Crusius.” That file was taken down, and it is not clear what it contained.

Police were investigating photographs of the suspect with an assault-style rifle that were posted on social media. A Twitter account that appeared to belong to Crusius was shut down Saturday evening. Tweets on the account had praised President Trump and, in particular, his effort to build a wall along the U.S- Mexico border.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...ts-of-shooting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or