Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 02:58 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Really great post. Thank you for articulating much better than I could a few pages back. I know some people are already thinking “everyone in Texas has a gun, how come nobody shot back?”.

I’d like to respond to that with “because what TMYN said”.
What it shows though is, it is not a Democrat or Republican Problem.
You have mass shootings like this all over and party means squat.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:59 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Had this very conversation with a long-time friend recently over the plan to arm school teachers.

He is also a self-proclaimed gun nut. Has two gun safes and it is only because his wife put her foot down that he doesn't have three. I suspect he is carrying nearly all the time. He spends one night a week cleaning various guns and one weekend a month at a gun range.

He was in the military before deciding to be a high school teacher, and is clear that he would never pull out a gun during a mass shooting at his school, and thought it was a stupid idea to arm teachers.

In the first place, he should be focused on his students, getting them to safety.

Secondly, there is a world of difference between the gun range and a gun battle.

And third, he was as likely to get shot by the cops as not.

He had guns in case someone tried to attack him or his family. Other than that, he let the folks who were trained for the task handle matters.
I was irate with the idea of arming teachers. My job description does not entail wielding fire arms just because the school district doesn’t want to pay for an actual trained police officer to be in the building. I am not nor will I ever be a police officer. I am a school teacher- which encompasses many other roles but gun toting vigilante isnt one of them.

Unfortunately mass shootings are here to stay. Gun control will never impact them - just like the war on drugs did not improve drug problems. Making schools gun free zones won’t work either. We need armed police officers in school. Luckily I’m in a district that has one. And we had a district meeting with the local
PD and they were very informative and made us feel better.

Every single parent should have to go through an unplanned lockdown drill to know how terrifying it is.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Really great post. Thank you for articulating much better than I could a few pages back. I know some people are already thinking “everyone in Texas has a gun, how come nobody shot back?”.

I’d like to respond to that with “because what TMYN said”.
Thanks. I live in Texas, I own quite a few guns and I'm a military veteran with combat experience and I don't want anything to do with a shootout in a WalMart against anyone under any circumstances. I carry a concealed firearm every day to defend myself or my family, I also carry a knife but I'm not looking to get into a knife fight with some lunatic either.

I'm no hero and I'm not looking to be one, I just want to go home to my family safely. If that means running away from someone with a rifle in a store then I'm running. If I'm cornered in a closet or a bathroom stall then I'm fighting back till somebody is dead but that's not my first choice by any means.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
An open carry state...where we’re the good guys with the guns to prevent all these people from getting killed?
They're all outside alive, most of them are wearing police uniforms.

Quote:
When someone is in a suicidal mode to kill....they don’t even think about good guys with guns, they only think about taking as many people with them as they can.

How do we prevent the mentally ill from getting access to weapons of mass murder? This is the most important question.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:03 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I agree there. Ongoing and active situation they are saying. Yes he’s 21. Can’t imagine what drove him to this. I never had such thoughts.
Really? There are thousands and thousands of impressionable people out there who can be motivated to action by nothing more than spoken words or, in our modern times, internet sites.

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Thanks. I live in Texas, I own quite a few guns and I'm a military veteran with combat experience and I don't want anything to do with a shootout in a WalMart against anyone under any circumstances. I carry a concealed firearm every day to defend myself or my family, I also carry a knife but I'm not looking to get into a knife fight with some lunatic either.

I'm no hero and I'm not looking to be one, I just want to go home to my family safely. If that means running away from someone with a rifle in a store then I'm running. If I'm cornered in a closet or a bathroom stall then I'm fighting back till somebody is dead but that's not my first choice by any means.
Female Texan CHL holder here. I carry for my own personal protection, after one too many encounters with downtown skeezers in my parking garage. I’m not Wonder Woman. Don’t want to be. Hope the only shots I ever fire continue to be at the range.

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Patrick Crusius, just turned 21 and from Dallas.

That's a long way to go to shoot up a WallyWorld.
Haven't seen confirmation of it, but is manifesto is making the rounds.

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Patrick Crusius is 21 years old today because Patrick's birthday is on 07/27/1998. Patrick's Reputation Score is 3.18. Allen, TX, is where Patrick Crusius lives today. We know that Patrick's political affiliation is currently a registered Democrat Party; ethnicity is unknown; and religious views are listed as unknown. Prudence Liu, Megan Liu, Melissa Liu, Susan Davis and Susan Davis, and many others are family members and associates of Patrick. View All Details

Birthday: 7/27/1998
Political Party: Democrat Party
Ethnicity: Info Pending...
Religion: Info Pending...

Income: Info Pending...
Net Worth: Info Pending...
Relationship: Info Pending...
Kids: Info Pending...

Patrick has yet to verify this information. See any inaccuracies? Edit for Free

https://www.mylife.com/patrick-crusius/e101010224329068

Old 08-03-2019, 03:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
One has to be intentionally dense (or worse but I'll get a TOS violation for saying it)

The mods may not like it but personally you are more than welcome to insult me, that is usually a good indication someone is losing an argument. Slightly off topic but if I'm dense what does that say when I had to educate on how amendments work?

Quote:
The weapons in existence then were nothing like we have today.
Firstly I was replying to someone that was discussing the intent of the Constitution, his argument is that they never intended for individuals to have the right to bear arms. My response is to make an argument otherwise.

Secondly are we going to apply what you suggest to all technologies, for example they didn't have ball point pens, typewriters, ink jet printers or the internet when the First was written. Should your rights to free speech using an assault ball point pen be infringed upon because the technology didn't exist?

Thirdly when questions like this arise it falls to the Supreme Court to make a judgement, in nearly all recent cases they have sided with the right to bear arms.

Last but not least in their infinite wisdom the authors of the Constitution have provided the means to change it. Thanks to my educating you on this topic you now know the requirements. If you want to change these laws that is the course action you will need to take.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

I’d like to respond to that with “because what TMYK said”.
It does not take long after a spectacular mass shooting for some to blame gun free zones, prescription medications and lack of mental health opportunities.

A Gun Free Zone decal on the front door of a business does not stop anyone from C/C. It would not me if I was inclined to own and carry.

Most businesses do not scan their customers or search their customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies