Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 07:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I live in NY.

Everything posted above is accurate. As a gun owner I've had to navigate the BS NY"un"safe act.

I can't wait to leave.
As mentioned, you are free to go to places with 3 and 4X the gun violence. The odds are still in your favor, but some of those places might give you red tide, flesh eating bacteria and brain-eating amebas...and now Hepititas and other such stuff.

But it it suits you, wear it.

I surely understand leaving NY.....many people do....but not because they want to expand their hobbies.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that you have identified the main problem.

How are people who might commit violence on innocent people identified? Many people who commit atrocities had not show obvious symptoms beforehand, so how do we separate the seriously disturbed ones from those who are "only" mildly disturbed? Should every high school student be required to undertake an intensive psychological evaluation? And, if so, what should be done with those who don't "pass"?

And even if they CAN be identified, it is sometimes difficult to persuade people to get help because ome people are very resistant to that. So, should we forcibly remove people from society who MIGHT commit violence?

I don't have the answers to this, but I think it is time for people smarter than I am to start discussing such things.

And to be clear, I am personally against locking people up based on "might", but I also think that something needs to be done, but I am not sure what -- maybe have some kind of monitoring going on? (I just threw that out there, btw, because I am not sure that even that would do any good.)
Seriously mentally ill people do not recognize they are ill. They shun mental health help.

While the El Paso shooter is a whack job, the shoot was clearly premeditated. He created and executed a plan. He drove for 10 hours, across the state to target El Paso. Minutes before opening fire he posted a boatload of cut and paste crap as his rationalization of his intentions.

He seemed to have a fantasy he was a soldier- a hero on a mission and he expected to die, either by LE or an immigrant. Yet, he chose to give up. What’s up with that? Thinking he might relish the attention and an opportunity to be heard in court.

Some public defender will be assigned to him and required to fight to seek a sentence less than capital punishment. Good luck with that.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This didn't apply to most school shooters or the Aurora, CO theater shooter. (Not that I know of, anyway.)
Nor the record holder, Stephen Paddock in Las Vegas.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Amazing —-mass shootings, bulging prisons, run away drug abuse and illegal sales- record unwed pregnancy and yet adamant posts declaring the absurdity of religious practice
Those who rewrite history are doomed to repeat it

Old 08-05-2019, 07:55 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I'd be ok with a federal background check to include using wayback and searching social media like facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram, reddit, 4chan, etc. Would create jobs gor techies, and could be completed in a few weeks.
Also medical records check (no gun if mental health issues), drug screen (hair).
Most of this could be automated with AI.

Hair tests would make 1/2 the population ineligible. I don't think they would hold up in court - because it is proven that the founders drank up a storm AND many of them would do other drugs (Ben Franklin did opium for much of this later life and would have done anything else he was given - just for experimentation).....

It's actually quite simple. We already know that FB and other places have 570 points of data on each person..enough to know people better then they know themselves. Such data could easily be used to predict behavior.

Basically the key is that one needs to be responsible enough for ANY ownership of anything. You can buy a 400 Foot Yacht and you still cannot use it in US waters without the proper captains license. Same with a Jet - same with a car.

But we could cut down this BS 50% or more just by targeting the terrorists populations. One wonders how some of these parents allow their Internet Warrior Children to amass an arsenal in their basements. I guess when you have a Gov. (Texas) which says out loud to Buy More Guns (yes, Abbot said that), Society has a difficult time being reasonable.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nor the record holder, Stephen Paddock in Las Vegas.
And laws did not stop him.

Laws can be used to punish people, but it is extremely rare that it stops crime other than things like speeding.

The failure of every possible law and restriction on heroine and cocaine proves people can get what people want.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:58 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
OP: Calling you out for your own bit of fake news! You created the thread. It is on you to tell us what the mainstream media isn't telling us about this fool? You seem to think they are hiding something. Cut the B.S. already and tell us.
Last thread on this got locked....so gotta be careful.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:59 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...n-our-schools/

Bet he means Christian prayer. Pretty sure he doesn't want Muslim prayers five times a day.

Regardless, what an asinine statement to make! The problem is unrestricted access to guns, the problem is the radicalization of white Christian youth, the problem is lack of mental health screening.

Not some flippin' Republican's wish list of a Christian Taliban nation.

When will politicians start addressing the gun problem. I am a gun owner, but I want safe storage laws, I want training laws, and most of all, I want screening laws as to WHO buys guns. Effective ones. Not the namby pamby drivel that some are proposing, or worse yet, nothing at all.
As gun owners we must face the reality that all guns are not equal. Weapons of mass lethality are the guns of choice for mass murderers. High rate of fire weapons need to be made illegal to own or to manufacture.

Shootings and other attacks will still occur but you would see a huge reduction in the lethality of these events. Since we have kicked the can down the road for so long, and we have flooded the market with these weapons, it will take at least 10 years to see the impact of the law. But this is priority number one. Everyone with common sense sees it clearly.

Case in point is the Dayton shooting, Police took out the shooter in 30 seconds, and in that time he was able to massacre 9.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_of_fire

Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Amazing —-mass shootings bulging prisons run away drug abuse and sales- record unwed pregnancy and yet adamant posts declaring the absurdity of religious practice
Those who rewrite history are doomed to repeat it
So how has religion prevented any of those things? Yes, religion might prove a deterrent to some people, but rehab and prison facilities have many people who were raised in "religious" homes, and so did homes for unwed mothers. In fact, one serial killer was a churh-goer and leaders and STILL says he is a Christian, although, to be fair, he blames his crimes on some kind of demon possession. https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...n-for-murders/

Btw, commas are your friend. (Usually, I don't criticize punctuation and spelling mistakes, but I had to read your post twice to make sense of it.)

Old 08-05-2019, 08:03 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Lying about what? I read the manifesto; he makes it clear in the first paragraph that he was convinced he needed to kill Hispanics after reading "The Great Replacement." This dude is a textbook white-supremacist, the media is absolutely correct.
Well, he thinks it's terrible what whites did to the Native Americans.....

He's a radical environmentalist..........He believes in a guaranteed job and income, along with universal health care (all to be run by the government).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies