U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:22 AM

27,531 posts, read 15,894,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Correct in a global economy, but we should get back to serving this nation, not the rest of the world.
Catering to the rest of the world is how we got into this mess in the first place.
The best thing the president could do would to go on record stating the United states will no longer accept anything from foreign countries, and the united states will no longer ship anything to foreign countries.
Provide all that is necessary for the people of the United States.
No more imports, and no more exports.

Bob.
That would cripple the economy though. The US isn t ready to produce solely for the US consuners. You know how many automobile parts are made abroad or in Mexico? Do you think companies would be able to afford building.the factories and running at a loss until we get to a point we can be economically self-sustainable? I'm sorry but the economic logic expressed in this post is utter tomfoolery.

What we need to realize is that we are globalised as an economy. The genie is out of the lamp. The ship has been sailed. The fight has been fought. We can't in do that. All that we can do is adapt to it, not adapt from it. What you and other America first people don't realize is at this point America first means that we actually work to have American companies prosper. It won t happen with economic isolationism and it won't happen through tariffs.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:37 AM

2,843 posts, read 1,935,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
How about instead of a trade war, trump tried improving the country? We should step up our game here at home instead of trying to bully China, which is going to backfire on us.
Apparently you have no idea what China is actually doing to us! I've worked with the Chinese and had intellectual property stolen at great cost to myself and many others. They manipulate their currency.
While I hate tariffs , it may be the only way to get their attention.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Apparently you have no idea what China is actually doing to us! I've worked with the Chinese and had intellectual property stolen at great cost to myself and many others. They manipulate their currency.
While I hate tariffs , it may be the only way to get their attention.
We have to work with China though. You don't think some Chinese person would buy an American made good just to reverse engineer it similar to what Chinese do with the people they start joint ventures with in America? The difference is if we team with China, at least it expands the market and potentially expands the workforce for sometime. Not doing that will blow up in our faces by companies entering. The US with metoo cheaper devices with enough changes.

Old Today, 11:24 AM

12,697 posts, read 14,070,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It maybe true that the life of the farmer sucked before Trump. The problem is Trump made it sound like he was the champion of the American farmer when he sold them up the river for his nationalistic economic policy. A nationalistic economic policy that he himself don't follow because he uses cheap labor for his clothes and uses Chinese steel. I'm sorry but you and the farmers voted for a liar, a cheat and a hypocrite.

Sorry to have to inform you of this, but I did not vote for Hillary. I hear she wasn't very popular with the farming crowd either.

Old Today, 11:33 AM

1,486 posts, read 616,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sorry to have to inform you of this, but I did not vote for Hillary. I hear she wasn't very popular with the farming crowd either.
We get it. mkpunk was right. No need to confirm his post.

Old Today, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sorry but I wasn't talking Hillary. By your vitriol in your post history towards immigrants and liberals and your conservative leaning posts, I knew you didn't vote Hillary. Thanks for confirming my post and my thought that you voted for the liar, cheat and hypocrite we have in 1600 Penn Ave.

Old Today, 12:54 PM

2,843 posts, read 1,935,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We have to work with China though. You don't think some Chinese person would buy an American made good just to reverse engineer it similar to what Chinese do with the people they start joint ventures with in America? The difference is if we team with China, at least it expands the market and potentially expands the workforce for sometime. Not doing that will blow up in our faces by companies entering. The US with metoo cheaper devices with enough changes.
I've been part of a well known corporation that "partnered" with the Chinese on a technology project. It didn't end well for us! There is no level playing field and the Chinese cheat...that is well known and well documented. China will not willingly open up markets for our goods and services.....they need a little persuasion. This is not a situation where we all sit around the campfire and sing Kumbaya.

Old Today, 05:24 PM

30,564 posts, read 20,188,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yet we are basically at full employment.
True...finally.

We also have huge annual deficits that would be smaller is we manufactured more and imported less.

We also have a problem with Chinese companies taking over US companies just long enough to steal their technology.

US workers would earn more if the countries that sell their products here purchased our products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or