U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

1,470 posts, read 616,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
So how has it been painful for you?

Last few years have been great for me.
It's better to look at the aggregate effects (good and bad) rather than anecdotes. So rather than steering this into having mkpunk provide anecdotes, let's move this into something more meaningful like the aggregate trends and general impact on people.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

18,075 posts, read 17,962,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Any economic increase in basically inspite of El Presidente. The tariffs have drastically hurt a number of companies and many farmers. His tax cut has pretty much been non-existent to the middle class. It has rained on the rich who didn't turn it into job and wage increases. The upcoming recession is Trump's due to his economic policy.

His tax cuts allowed our economy to grow without QE. Things were really slowing down toward the end of Obama and thoughts of a recession were around, you can look up all the articles if you want.

Anyways, how are you hurting right now?

Last edited by CaseyB; Today at 04:46 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

23,476 posts, read 12,430,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
His tax cuts allowed our economy to grow without QE. Things were really slowing down toward the end of Obama and thoughts of a recession were around, you can look up all the articles if you want.

Anyways, how are you hurting right now? Were you a coyote bringing in illegals and now that job is too dangerous and expensive under Trump?

But the rate of growth is consistent with the rate of growth with no tax cuts.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

6,940 posts, read 6,250,665 times
Quote:
The double standard of the left, sadly most Democrats hope this happens, even if it means millions of people suffering. Winning is all that matters. With that being said, the same could have been said during Obama too, but from the right.
Is what Maher said the same as when Trump was hoping the housing bubble popped so he could invest in dirt cheap properties..............or is it different.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM

35,419 posts, read 19,415,205 times
Lightbulb Bill Maher: Recession would be 'worth it' if Trump doesn't get re-elected

I have a number of family members whose careers utterly depend on a decent economy.

I'm concerned that it's showing signs of weakening.

But I think that tRump is damaging our country to the extent that America will show him the door next year, regardless of the economy.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

681 posts, read 327,461 times
The economy is cyclical, and I think we are due for a recession anytime soon, regardless of who is President. Dot Com Crash was in 2000 and the financial crisis was in 2008. The next one should be around the corner (this year or the next).

Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM

27,506 posts, read 15,894,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
So how has it been painful for you?

Last few years have been great for me.
Quote:
The point of how I have been hurting. I'm not, but the last few years haven't been exactly "great" either. I work as a paraprofessional in education. I was part of #RedForEd (though I couldn't afford to do the protests and that during the Arizona walkout and vote along with Arizona Educators United because the gubernatorial candidate was a turkey and couldn't defend himself or get his message out.) For my troubles I got a 5% raise in 2018-9 and a 3% raise in 2019-20. In 2020 however, Arizona minimum wage bumps up to $12. I will then work a job barely over minimum wage. Now this isn't a Trump issue, but it is a general economic issue...
That said, what is Trump related is the tax cuts. The tax cuts I've long been critical on because I didn't see much change in 2018. In 2018, I have several times talked about an HR e-mail about changes in the federal deduction tables and expect to see it in the next paystub. My paystub came back $9 extra. $9, that's extra 6-pack of Sam Adams or an import beer or 12-case of domestic cans. In the end that equals, about $175.5 extra a year and with the extra tax money I got, it was about another $20. That said, gas was a bit off and on in 2018 so that equated to some gas monies...

So the verdict is I'm not hurting, but I'm not thriving under Trump. I'm getting through and making my own way. I'm not winning through the Trump economy but I'm not losing because of it. I am looking to make a career change in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It's better to look at the aggregate effects (good and bad) rather than anecdotes. So rather than steering this into having mkpunk provide anecdotes, let's move this into something more meaningful like the aggregate trends and general impact on people.
The problem is still people will cherry pick and find stats in their favor. A post below your's shows that the tax cuts didn't change much growth versus that of Quantitative Easing (QE.) I think that is rather telling if Trump's tax cuts were effective or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But the rate of growth is consistent with the rate of growth with no tax cuts.
I think those you are saying it to will not read it if not dismiss it altogether.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 871,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
The economy is cyclical, and I think we are due for a recession anytime soon, regardless of who is President. Dot Com Crash was in 2000 and the financial crisis was in 2008. The next one should be around the corner (this year or the next).
An argument could be made that we're already in one right now. The Dow basically topped out at 26-27K for the first time in late Jan/early Feb of 2018, and basically (over the past year and a half) has been stagnant (drops and booms sure, but ultimately still around the 26K mark). That tends to be a bearish sign. There's zero doubt we're due (in some ways overdue) for one.

I definitely think 2020 might be the year another "big one" occurs. Like, a big drop. People can blame Trump for it, but it's not his fault.

Old Today, 12:06 AM

1,470 posts, read 616,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
An argument could be made that we're already in one right now. The Dow basically topped out at 26-27K for the first time in late Jan/early Feb of 2018, and basically (over the past year and a half) has been stagnant (drops and booms sure, but ultimately still around the 26K mark). That tends to be a bearish sign. There's zero doubt we're due (in some ways overdue) for one.

I definitely think 2020 might be the year another "big one" occurs. Like, a big drop. People can blame Trump for it, but it's not his fault.
Not sure how "The Dow" supports a recession argument. Recessions are not based on equity markets...

Old Today, 01:59 AM

1,435 posts, read 871,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Not sure how "The Dow" supports a recession argument. Recessions are not based on equity markets...
The Dow (I just used that as an example, S&P could obviously work as well) is most certainly not the economy, I should have made that clear. But a major crash in the stock market typically precedes an economic recession, and the current trend of almost all indices point to a bearish overall formation. Recessions tend to happen every 8-10 years or so. We're on year ten currently of the boom/expansion phase of the cycle.... it's really only a matter of time before another happens.

I guess what I'm saying is I think we're at the top of this economic boom that's been happening since '09. I don't think there's too much further up we can go in this cycle.

The 10/30 year yield curve is always something to watch

Last edited by CCrest182; Today at 02:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies