Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 10:03 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am talking the type that used to commonly house thousands.

If people like the Wal Mart killer were in one, 20 innocent people would be alive.

There are people that cannot safely walk amongst civilized society.

These hospitals provided a useful option for society to maintain safety for the civilized.
Yes, that will fix everything. NOT.......

My rough guess is that at least 10% of the populations of males in this country is capable of committing mass murder. We can start with the 4-5% who are sociopaths (these people have no remorse, which is their defining characteristic) and then add another 5%....maybe more, given certain circumstances.

And so, that would be putting about 10 Million males (for what crime?) into institutions at a cost of about 100K plus per...each year.

Do you suggest borrowing the money?

On the other hand we could update our gun laws, make use of modern technology and achieve the same ends for maybe 1% of that cost.

Hmmmm.....I wonder what we will do? (neither).

Point to another country that does this and show us the success of it. Nothing new under the Sun....so it should be easy for you to show a model for the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 10:04 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
What's wrong, not enough electroshock therapy or lobotomies for your liking?

Believe it or not, mental health treatment isn't infallible. Just because he's a mental health practitioner doesn't mean his family is immune to mental issues. There are plenty of athletic coaches and doctors who are overweight, yet they're never questioned.
Why the anger? No talk of either lobotomies or electric shock here. As a mental health counselor dad had the knowledge to get his son futher help or create a paper trail that would prevent dear son from being able to purchase a gun.
That is where he failed.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:04 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
His manifesto perhaps.

But beyond any one person-We have millions on our streets who pose dangers to both themselves and the general public, and the closing of these places to safely house them was irresponsible.
He posted it immediately before the shooting. Like less than an hour. How would that work?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:06 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
You mean when people were killing cops after being inspired by Obama’s hateful anti-cop rhetoric??
If they were inspired to commit crime because of that, they are criminally mentally ill, too.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Lived in mom & dads house rent free and likely played violent video games hours a day? Clueless parents raising mentally disturbed boys that never mature to manhood. We now reap what we’ve sown.
You left out racist rhetoric and xenophobia. Was that deliberate?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
We reaped what his parents developed.
You are ignoring his motivations. He posted his manifesto on 8chan. It is highly unlikely they introduced him to that site. The hate and xenophobia found there were his motivations. Deliberately ignoring that suggests a need on your part to pin this on his parents rather than his own professed reasons.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:15 AM

4,507 posts, read 1,862,401 times
Unpopular opinion:

I think we should jail the parents of any mass shooter. When you decide to create another person, you should be held responsible for what it does. If you cannot handle that, don’t have kids.

Let’s say I built a robot and it malfunctioned, went out and killed 10 people...pretty sure I would get life in prison. This should be no different.

We need to force people to be fearful of what their offspring might do and they need to work tirelessly to keep them under control. Nobody is putting a gun to anybody’s head to reproduce.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
It turns out Crusius father is a mental health counselor.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:17 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Unpopular opinion:

I think we should jail the parents of any mass shooter. When you decide to create another person, you should be held responsible for what it does. If you cannot handle that, don’t have kids.

Let’s say I built a robot and it malfunctioned, went out and killed 10 people...pretty sure I would get life in prison. This should be no different.

We need to force people to be fearful of what their offspring might do and they need to work tirelessly to keep them under control. Nobody is putting a gun to anybody’s head to reproduce.
Most unpopular opinions are unpopular for a good reason.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:18 AM

854 posts, read 520,395 times
Quote:
Unpopular opinion:

To an extent, but society in general is also partially to blame for creating these monsters through. Toxic masculinity too, which is a cultural / societal problem that needs to vanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies