U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,317 posts, read 13,780,016 times
Reputation: 22392

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Throw in Adderall and other ADHD Meds we're giving them when their 9 years old.

Bet the 21yo in El Paso who is a College kid had done his share of Adderall and other Meds.
So now we are going to blame these shootings on prescription drugs? Maybe we could blame them on the phase of the moon, or heartburn from eating too much Taco Bell? It is always easier to blame things like this on everything other than what the real cause is, a culture of violence and ready access to guns that have no legitimate purpose other than to kill large numbers of people quickly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:37 AM
 
19,120 posts, read 9,725,116 times
Reputation: 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
No, the argument people who think it is a good idea for everyone to carry weapons in public everywhere they go is that the good guys will protect people in a crowd against the bad guy with a gun. And you just said that you wouldn't protect others because you knew no one would protect you. So it's every animal for itself.

Also, your statement said that if you're carrying you wouldn't care about people who aren't carrying because you're insinuating that if they aren't packing heat to go get a bagel that they're being irresponsible. Does this also go for the kid who is walking home from the bus stop too? They're being irresponsible because they don't have an AK 47 strapped to them. Hmmm...What could go wrong with that?
The good guy is only obligated to protect himself and his family who are part of the people.

Nobody not even police has any obligation to protect you!

Some good guys may be willing to protect you just because. Once again, if you arenít willing to protect yourself or your family, why should anybody care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:40 AM
 
19,120 posts, read 9,725,116 times
Reputation: 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
No, the argument people who think it is a good idea for everyone to carry weapons in public everywhere (which introduces a completely different dynamic to innocent bystanders than people protecting themselves in their own home) they go is that the good guys will protect people in a crowd against the bad guy with a gun. And you just said that you wouldn't protect others because you knew no one would protect you. So it's every animal for itself. Which blows away the chivalrous knight coming to save the unarmed masses with their firepower against nut cases like the idiots in Dayton and El Paso.

Also, your statement said that if you're carrying you wouldn't care about people who aren't carrying because you're insinuating that if they aren't packing heat (including kids and 90 year old grandmas) to go get a bagel that they're being irresponsible. Does this also go for the kid who is walking home from the bus stop too? They're being irresponsible because they don't have an AK 47 strapped to them. Hmmm...What could go wrong with that?
Your argument is purely asinine.

All oble-bodied people ought to carry and protect themselves and others in their care.

Old grandmas and children are the responsibility of their legal guardians!

Once again, if you aren’t willing to protect yourself or your family, why should anybody care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,394 posts, read 10,217,610 times
Reputation: 7146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Because it's cultural.

You probably aren't aware of this, but some countries that allow alcohol have extremely high rates odmf alcoholism while other countries, that also allow alcohol, have much less rates of alcohol.

If your suggestion that access is the cause, every country where alcohol is legal would have the same rate of alcoholism.
Are you suggesting it's cultural to arm yourself with military-grade hardware and shoot random people in public doing what they are supposed to be doing? You're right. That is absolutely singular in the history of the world.

People in other countries would not have access to the military-grade hardware. I guess that would account for the differences, huh...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,317 posts, read 13,780,016 times
Reputation: 22392
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Everyone should have CCW to protect themselves these days. Go through a proper training course and read up on self defense laws in your state. Firearms are not going to banned so you are going to continue having these lunatics running around in society looking to do harm to innocent people. It takes law enforcement about 10 minutes or average to respond. Obviously tons of damage can be done in that time and you are a sitting duck without one. At least you have a fighting chance if you have a CCW. Protect yourself as much as possible in these crazy times.
Then what happened in El Paso? There were 3,000 customers in that store, my guess is that there were quite a few people in that store who were armed. Can you offer any feasible explanation as to how your idea is of any value when none of the 'good guys with guns' in El Paso didn't even injure the shooter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,317 posts, read 13,780,016 times
Reputation: 22392
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Your argument is purely asinine.
Able-bodied people should carry and protect themselves and others in their care.
Old grandmas and children are the responsibility of their legal guardians!
Once again, if you arenít willing to protect yourself or your family, why should anybody care?
what went wrong in El Paso, or in Dayton? Where were the able bodied protectors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:43 AM
 
19,120 posts, read 9,725,116 times
Reputation: 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then what happened in El Paso? There were 3,000 customers in that store, my guess is that there were quite a few people in that store who were armed. Can you offer any feasible explanation as to how your idea is of any value when none of the 'good guys with guns' in El Paso didn't even injure the shooter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
what went wrong in El Paso, or in Dayton? Where were the able bodied protectors?



All the CCWs were protecting their own families.

They have no obligation to protect you, particularly when you don’t even care about protecting yourself or your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,394 posts, read 10,217,610 times
Reputation: 7146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Not surprised. He looks like an ANTIFA terrorist.


https://www.drudgereport.com/
Really? What does an Antifa terrorist look like? Can you find an illustration for us of a member of Antifa in uniform, or maybe provide a link?

Also - why would an Antifa member write a xenophobic and racist manifesto? Antifa is anti-fascist, not anti-immigrant. Thanks for your answers in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Barrington
46,400 posts, read 34,287,397 times
Reputation: 15457
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Did you mean SSRI meds? Possibly, have you seen any tracking of SSRI drugs in mass shooters?
No shortage of internet media/ blogs attribute the sensational mass shootings to SSRI drugs and do so without any facts.

If only most mass shootings could be factually attributed to SSRI meds, it would be easy enough to deny purchase to anyone with a history of such prescriptions or cross reference the script against the gun database.

There is no national database of prescriptions. There is at least one state that does not maintain a state database. Many states do not have a historical database. This has not however prevented some from attributing most mass shootings to SSRI or stimulant meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:46 AM
 
1,411 posts, read 302,075 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then what happened in El Paso? There were 3,000 customers in that store, my guess is that there were quite a few people in that store who were armed. Can you offer any feasible explanation as to how your idea is of any value when none of the 'good guys with guns' in El Paso didn't even injure the shooter?

From a tactical standpoint if you have an active shooter in your proximity would you rather have a firearm or be unarmed?

I have no idea how many people in the proximity of these two shooters had CCWs with proper training. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top