Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 09:46 AM

5,071 posts, read 2,002,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So now we are going to blame these shootings on prescription drugs? Maybe we could blame them on the phase of the moon, or heartburn from eating too much Taco Bell? It is always easier to blame things like this on everything other than what the real cause is, a culture of violence and ready access to guns that have no legitimate purpose other than to kill large numbers of people quickly
Could we blame soon on objects who control minds like a watch for example? I hope then life won't imitate art in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQKspWKq9M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:46 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,124,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Almost all mass shootings are stopped when a good guy with a gun arrives on scene. Usually, it's the police.

I carry to protect myself. If a maniac with a gun approaches my family in a restaurant, I'll be a good guy with a gun trying to stop him from shooting my family. I'm not carrying to have a gun fight, I'm carrying for self protection.
According to you guys, in the past posts the good guy isn’t the police because you don’t want to depend on them. So police don’t count, it’s their jobs. So the good guys are supposed to be guys like you that won’t approach a shooter if hes not pointing it at you. You just run the other way. In the majority of the last shootings the shooter killed himself or the police did it. So there’s no good guys with guns if they all think like you and will only defend themselves. So you can stop saying everyone needs a gun now.

What you can say now, since people don’t shoot at people that aren’t pointing guns directly at them, and they run instead. You can say when there’s an active situation in a state with open carry laws, you duck the bullets and run like everyone else and let the police take care of it. You help yourself only.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:47 AM

36,910 posts, read 18,784,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wrong, there are still drugs floodingvour borders.

Do you really believe tge US stopped the illegal import of drugs? Seriously, you believe that?
No. The vast bulk of the drugs coming into the United States do not come across the Mexican border. Only amateurs take that route, because you can't move enough product either going through the checkpoints with drugs in the nose of a semi or carrying them across through the desert.

That's why they make airplanes and speedboats.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:48 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,124,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The good guy is only obligated to protect himself and his family who are part of the people.

Nobody not even police has any obligation to protect you!

Some good guys may be willing to protect you just because. Once again, if you aren’t willing to protect yourself or your family, why should anybody care?
With that rationale, there’s no point in everyone else having the guns. If no one is shooting at an active shooter, no one is protecting anybody, so concealed carry is useless.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,162,660 times
Not.even.24. hours.since.last.mass.shooting. When the F is this country going to get serious about gun control. I'm going to guess the answer is never.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 AM

36,910 posts, read 18,784,152 times
Quote:
If you don’t carry your own gun and don’t care about protecting your own life, why should I care about you?

I carry all the time and will NOT use to protect others as I know they wouldn’t do for me.
It must really suck to be so afraid of living that you feel the need to carry a gun all the time. What causes all your fear?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 AM

21,395 posts, read 10,446,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But it's been crazy ever since Aug. 1, 1966 when a shooter climbed to the observation deck of the Texas Tower in Austin and shot dead 16 people, including one unborn child, and injured 31 others. Earlier, he killed two of his close relatives. The world has never been the same since that incredibly chilling day.
There were mass shootings before and after that chilling day, but notice how far apart they were from each other. The news didn’t go on incessantly for days talking about him or his motives. They moved on to new stories, and we didn’t get as many copycats back then. Now we had a copycat within 24 hours.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,464,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
As population increases, these type of people also increase... These people used to be handled but liberal identity politics say these people are special and should be protected, the end result is predictable...
What does “handled” mean?

Do you mean the closures of state asylums that began in the 50’s when such asylums became political embarrassments and a drain on state financial resources?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:52 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,239,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As you see above they just come up with a different excuse when one fails. It's perfect. You can't lose if you are willing to lie, distort and bury your head in the same

The USA is different. An outlier in many ways. And terror by our own citizens is a massive problem now.

Funny how if "Muslims" killed 20 people here it's a BFD. But if just plain old American citizens with guns do the jobs, then it don't mean nothing.
Funny, how Blk folks (Blk on Blk crime) accounting for most of the mass shootings and gun crime, but our society has deemed that “normal” everyday incidents and do nothing about it.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:55 AM

6,081 posts, read 4,557,382 times
Quote:
Your argument is purely asinine.

All oble-bodied people ought to carry and protect themselves and others in their care.

Old grandmas and children are the responsibility of their legal guardians!

Once again, if you aren’t willing to protect yourself or your family, why should anybody care?
As far as the criteria for "oble-bodied [sic]", there are a lot of people who would be of questionable minds when it comes to having that kind of weaponry in common everyday situations, and on the edge of snapping and using a weapon in a way that wasn't going to protect anyone, but would be a threat to anyone they're around. Even if someone supports the right of gun ownership, it doesn't take a whole lot of basic common sense to understand that, but that's lacking among a lot of people who say more guns is always better but never really acknowledging that some people are of the mentality where owning firearms wouldn't be a good thing for them or people they encounter.

With the US's very liberal gun culture (liberal as in ease of access), I haven't seen this be an effective strategy so far compared to other cultures abroad. If this changes and these things aren't happening anymore like they have been in recent years, get back to me on that. I feel like I'm going to be waiting a long time though.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-04-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies