U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 09:06 AM

46,400 posts, read 34,287,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
All kinds of drugs are most likely related to these killings. Prescribed drugs and illegal. So keeping killers and drugs off the streets, should go hand in hand.

You know there are problems. What can we do????
Swell theory that has no factual basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:06 AM

20,401 posts, read 12,219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A good guy is any person who is not the bad guy.

Most good guys with guns, who aren't good guys working as police, carry to protect themselves and their families.

If you don't want to carry, that's your CHOICE.

The 2nd guarantees my right to carry, and I CHOOSE. To do so.

If you're ever in the scenario of a mass shooting, your only hope is that the police arrive before a bullet arrives in you.

My hope is that either the police arrive or tgat I can shoot him before he shoots me.

My odds would be better than yours.
Seriously doubt you get a clean shot at the perpetrator in a huge building full of people all by yourself. He has the element of surprise and mass panic. You might do the John Wayne, but probabilities you get shot by police first.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:08 AM

1,895 posts, read 548,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A good guy is any person who is not the bad guy.

Most good guys with guns, who aren't good guys working as police, carry to protect themselves and their families.

If you don't want to carry, that's your CHOICE.

The 2nd guarantees my right to carry, and I CHOOSE. To do so.

If you're ever in the scenario of a mass shooting, your only hope is that the police arrive before a bullet arrives in you.

My hope is that either the police arrive or tgat I can shoot him before he shoots me.

My odds would be better than yours.
The good guy in an open carry state was supposed to be your excuse as the bad guys deterrent.
The bad guy wasnít deterred, open carry didnít matter. You can keep your choice, just stop spouting the BS lines that everyone should have a gun. Itís pointless to keep manufacturing guns just for people to run away from a shooter.

2,962 posts, read 2,052,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It must really suck to be so afraid of living that you feel the need to carry a gun all the time. What causes all your fear?
I'm not the person (or type of person) that you're asking this of, but I believe that much of this is a distorted perception of risk, where the amount of fear is based on what they see on the news and other propaganda but they dismiss other risks that are likely more eminent.

19,120 posts, read 9,725,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Seriously doubt you get a clean shot at the perpetrator in a huge building full of people all by yourself. He has the element of surprise and mass panic. You might do the John Wayne, but probabilities you get shot by police first.
Maybe, but we still have a better chance than you because we are armed.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:09 AM

14,002 posts, read 10,979,640 times
Again... This will keep happening until we refuse to accept this as normal and gain the courage to act.. That kind of action will never come from conservatives who have embraced these events as acceptable collateral damage for their proliferation of high capacity assault rifles and the like.

Hopefully one day we will join the ranks of civilized nations, but I'm under no illusions that things will get better as a result of this latest round of caebage.

19,120 posts, read 9,725,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Part of this is a distorted perception of risk, where the amount of fear is based on what they see on the news and other propaganda but they dismiss other risks that are likely more eminent.
Right back at you. Why are you having this distorted perception of risk so badly that you wa t to ban guns?

6,525 posts, read 3,591,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
The good guy in an open carry state was supposed to be your excuse as the bad guys deterrent.
The bad guy wasnít deterred, open carry didnít matter. You can keep your choice, just stop spouting the BS lines that everyone should have a gun. Itís pointless to keep manufacturing guns just for people to run away from a shooter.
You should repeat this same post 5-10 more times today, because Lord knows you havenít repeated yourself quite enough yet.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 AM

2,962 posts, read 2,052,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Right back at you. Why are you having this distorted perception of risk so badly that you wa t to ban guns?
When did I say I wanted to ban guns? My main point all along has been that despite the US's permissive gun culture, we should be ashamed that the US has failed miserably at preventing this type of tragedy from repeatedly and frequently happening, part of which may be regulatory but also part of which is cultural. When we look at the US's rate of violence compared to other economically prosperous countries and even some less prosperous countries, and then see how we're much worse we are than some others, that should be disgraceful to anyone, gun owner or not, unless they just aren't concerned about this, and in that case they are part of the problem. It's a national disgrace.

Thinking it's not a good idea for everybody to be armed everywhere in all situations or acknowledging that that can lead to some really bad outcomes (not just mass violence against others but suicide risk, accidental shootings from carelessness- which also happens frequently, etc.) isn't saying guns should be banned but it is acknowledging that they can cause major problems.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-04-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 09:13 AM

29,955 posts, read 15,614,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Element of surprise.

Maybe to a deaf blind person who doesnt hear the shots or see people running in panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or