U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 11:25 AM

5,344 posts, read 1,328,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
So its all Trump and his supporters fault for the shooting in Dayton?

Fact:
They aren't talking about Dayton much, are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:26 AM

27,303 posts, read 19,253,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Libs whining when he did nothing and whining when he did something. Wow
can you imagine the howling they'd do if trump said he wasn't going to visit?

eardrums across the nation would shatter.

Old Today, 11:43 AM

46,400 posts, read 34,287,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I'm a mandated reporter who provides mental health counseling to kids, teens and young adults who are at risk of becoming violent. (More violent than they already have been). I have gotten to know dozens of these young people (actually probably more than a hundred)......in some cases, I know them better than their parents or any one else in the world.

Our society made a decision back in the 1960s and 70s stop using institutionalizing of young people, even when they show signs of great danger to others. So they very rarely get institutionalized these days. As a result, we get these acts of awful violence.
It's like we want our cake and to eat it too.
Those decisions began in the 50’s when states began closing state institutions that were political embarrassments and a financial drain.

Gone are the days when an influential mandate could use his wealth to institutionalize his daughter because she was an embarrassment. And then, the dad could compel a lobotomy and institutionalize her for life.

Curious if you are familiar with the 80’s book, Inside the Criminal Mind? Author spent his career working with very violent repeat offenders in prisons. He was used to his patients blame throwing instead of acknowledging any personal responsibility.

He concluded in all his years across all his patients, he had not once come across a criminal whose crimes could be attributed to mental illness, upbringing, education, religion or lack thereof, etc. Instead, his experiences led him to conclude violent crime was a personal decision based on fulfilling narcissistic intentions- a disordered habit of thinking as opposed to the common bats*** crazy thing. One of his long term married patients, a serial rapist, would become aroused by a woman and decide to rape her. He never once viewed his behavior from his victim’s perspective.

The author’s primary approach to treatment was to focus the criminal mind on turning it around and viewing violence from the perspective of the victim.

Although dated material, his conclusions stuck with me- personal decisions.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

2,827 posts, read 931,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
can you imagine the howling they'd do if trump said he wasn't going to visit?

eardrums across the nation would shatter.
I know. This morning on my way to work I was listening to the local radio station and they played a news bit of some woman screaming that she didn't want President Trump to visit because it was only a photo-op. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't with these people.

Old Today, 11:49 AM

2,827 posts, read 931,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Those decisions began in the 50’s when states began closing state institutions that were political embarrassments and a financial drain.

Gone are the days when an influential mandate could use his wealth to institutionalize his daughter because she was an embarrassment. And then, the dad could compel a lobotomy and institutionalize her for life.

Curious if you are familiar with the 80’s book, Inside the Criminal Mind? Author spent his career working with very violent repeat offenders in prisons. He was used to his patients blame throwing instead of acknowledging any personal responsibility.

He concluded in all his years across all his patients, he had not once come across a criminal whose crimes could be attributed to mental illness, upbringing, education, religion or lack thereof, etc. Instead, his experiences led him to conclude violent crime was a personal decision based on fulfilling narcissistic intentions- a disordered habit of thinking as opposed to the common bats*** crazy thing. One of his long term married patients, a serial rapist, would become aroused by a woman and decide to rape her. He never once viewed his behavior from his victim’s perspective.

The author’s primary approach to treatment was to focus the criminal mind on turning it around and viewing violence from the perspective of the victim.

Although dated material, his conclusions stuck with me- personal decisions.
Sounds like Rosemary Kennedy that you are making reference to. This was a very tragic story IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Kennedy

Old Today, 11:50 AM

24,229 posts, read 8,474,619 times
NPR has a segment going asking people from across the U.S. to call in about the latest two mass shootings and one man said: Until the gun lovers in America change, this will go on.

Gun lover have to give up their love affair with weapons of death.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Today at 12:12 PM..

Old Today, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I understand this but I'm just saying that I would like the same level of scrutiny and information. While the El Paso shooter is not dead, his family is surely grieving as well.

I feel so sorry for ANY family dealing with any aspect of this involving a loved one, a child, a parent, etc. I don't mean to sound callous. I just want the truth to be gotten to as quickly as possible.

They and every other family affected are going to be reeling from this for years.
With all due respect, why assume the parents/ family know “ the truth”?

Seems to me the families are the most stunned to learn their kid, brother was the killer.

Look at Adam Lanza’s/ Sandy Hook mother. Her 20 year old son had some serious issues. Only way she could get her son off the pc and out of the basement was to take him to a range to shoot. Their communication was limited to email. He was anorexic and non- communicative. He declined medications and mental health help.
Seems she spent a decade walking on egg shells to avoid conflict.

She obviously had no clue what her boy was planning. She was his first victim.

It is believed he might have been on the Autism spectrum. Most on the spectrum are not violent.

The world is full of families walking on egg shells to avoid conflict with a family member. And often times, the conflict is manufactured by a family member to deflect attention away from themselves, drugs, stealing, violence ideation, lack of employment and outside interests and occasionally self- radicalization.

Despite it, most do not engage in a mass shooting.

Old Today, 12:14 PM

24,229 posts, read 8,474,619 times
Bottom line, too too many loose guns, spectrum or not. 270Million+ guns in the U.S.

Old Today, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Sounds like Rosemary Kennedy that you are making reference to. This was a very tragic story IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Kennedy
Yes.

Read somewhere she would have been diagnosed with dyslexia, had she been born 75 years later.

At a public level, endless state institutions had evolved into house of horrors with no accountability.

Old Today, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I know. This morning on my way to work I was listening to the local radio station and they played a news bit of some woman screaming that she didn't want President Trump to visit because it was only a photo-op. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't with these people.
“ these people” ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or