U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

2,827 posts, read 933,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yes.

Read somewhere she would have been diagnosed with dyslexia, had she been born 75 years later.

At a public level, endless state institutions had evolved into house of horrors with no accountability.
Read the link I provided. It doesn't mention dyslexia but more of a bipolar (perhaps) symptom. Never the less, the effed her up badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

35,608 posts, read 32,403,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's not just Trump and his phony visit. All the clucking of tongues and flags at half staff and expressions of sorrow are meaningless crap. Let's see some action, like a solid proposal for the regulation of high rate of fire weapons. Of course we won't because Trump and his cronies are in the pocket of the NRA and the firearms manufacturers they support.
That's already been done

Once again, there is no such thing as an assault weapon ban

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

32,498 posts, read 60,100,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just saw Nan Whaley the Dayton mayor, she is really sharp. I didn't know that Trump was visiting there tomorrow, her statement was the same as the El Paso Mayor indicating it she was basically meeting with Trump because it is her duty. She went on to say she didn't agree with Trumps lack of focus on gun control and when asked about possible protest she indicated she hopes their voices are heard.

I don't think Trump's visits are helpful.
They're helpful ... to Trump. He'll pat himself on the back, but he won't really listen to what Mayor Nan or anyone else in Dayton or El Paso have to say. And he certainly won't do anything to begin to solve the problem.

Quote:
Whaley also mentioned this statement by an Ohio State Congresswoman, she is being asked to resign:
The last I read, Candice Keller was saying her post was "altered". Nice backpedaling. This woman is a piece of work. I'm glad the Ohio Republicans are on her ass about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I mean, because I haven't seen ANY president able to enact any meaningful solutions to the issue of mass shooters, which have taken place during many different administrations under both parties.
True enough; they're all culpable, as are members of Congress and state legislatures.

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

46,415 posts, read 34,298,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
They aren't talking about Dayton much, are they?
Selective hearing?

It’s been non-stop coverage on MSNBC and CNN of both El Paso and Dayton.

The difference is that one mass shooter targeted El Paso because 80% of the population is Hispanic.
Nothing seems to indicate the Dayton shooter was targeting a specific demographic.

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
They're helpful ... to Trump. He'll pat himself on the back, but he won't really listen to what Mayor Nan or anyone else in Dayton or El Paso have to say. And he certainly won't do anything to begin to solve the problem.

The last I read, Candice Keller was saying her post was "altered". Nice backpedaling. This woman is a piece of work. I'm glad the Ohio Republicans are on her ass about it.

True enough; they're all culpable, as are members of Congress and state legislatures.
Will Trump carry a script, reminding him to listen as he did when he in DC met with some grieving family members of the Parkland shooting?

Kellyanne is out there talking about how Trump wants to be “on the ground and heal communities impacted by mass shootings and hurricanes”.

Trump does not do empathy well. It’s not his strength. He needs a script. It is what it is.

Better to focus on China.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Read the link I provided. It doesn't mention dyslexia but more of a bipolar (perhaps) symptom. Never the less, the effed her up badly.
She was an embarrassment to her father.

They sure did eff her up.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

3,075 posts, read 657,592 times
"El Paso Shooter Posted Manifesto to Instagram NOT 8Chan" -Jim Watkins, owner of 8chan.

So why is the media not calling for Instagram to be taken down? To big to fail?

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

3,985 posts, read 4,123,620 times
It is not beyond the realm of possibility that a mass shooting killer could leave a misleading narrative of prior words & actions.

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

27,323 posts, read 19,263,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
"El Paso Shooter Posted Manifesto to Instagram NOT 8Chan" -Jim Watkins, owner of 8chan.

So why is the media not calling for Instagram to be taken down? To big to fail?
faceberg/instagram is denying it. for what little that's worth.

https://www.cnet.com/news/president-...ng-to-be-hard/

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

45,424 posts, read 36,571,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
With all due respect, why assume the parents/ family know “ the truth”?

Seems to me the families are the most stunned to learn their kid, brother was the killer.

Look at Adam Lanza’s/ Sandy Hook mother. Her 20 year old son had some serious issues. Only way she could get her son off the pc and out of the basement was to take him to a range to shoot. Their communication was limited to email. He was anorexic and non- communicative. He declined medications and mental health help.
Seems she spent a decade walking on egg shells to avoid conflict.

She obviously had no clue what her boy was planning. She was his first victim.

It is believed he might have been on the Autism spectrum. Most on the spectrum are not violent.

The world is full of families walking on egg shells to avoid conflict with a family member. And often times, the conflict is manufactured by a family member to deflect attention away from themselves, drugs, stealing, violence ideation, lack of employment and outside interests and occasionally self- radicalization.

Despite it, most do not engage in a mass shooting.
With all due respect, I didn't say or imply or assume that the parents or family know the truth.

Seek first to understand. That's one of my mottoes in life. Also, knowledge is power. Any insight into this situation would seem to be pertinent to me.

As for Adam Lanza's mom - what a nut job SHE was. She encouraged his love of guns. She KNEW she had a seriously jacked up kid in the house. Do you think any parent with a shred of common sense would encourage or even allow such a kid to have free and easy access to weapons? I dunno, call me crazy but I sure wouldn't. Not for a kid like Adam Lanza or any other family member who was unstable, like the scenarios you describe.

And hey, I HAVE some of those in my own family, so I walk the walk, not just talk the talk. I don't care if "most do not engage in a mass shooting." These are my guns, my responsibility. It is my responsibility to keep society safe as much as possible, and that includes totally controlling who has access to guns. (For the record, the only two people with any access to guns in my house are my husband and me and we are both so stable that I'm sure many would consider us quite boring!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or