U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

66,936 posts, read 34,051,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
With all due respect, I didn't say or imply or assume that the parents or family know the truth.

Seek first to understand. That's one of my mottoes in life. Also, knowledge is power. Any insight into this situation would seem to be pertinent to me.

As for Adam Lanza's mom - what a nut job SHE was. She encouraged his love of guns. She KNEW she had a seriously jacked up kid in the house. Do you think any parent with a shred of common sense would encourage or even allow such a kid to have free and easy access to weapons? I dunno, call me crazy but I sure wouldn't. Not for a kid like Adam Lanza or any other family member who was unstable, like the scenarios you describe.

And hey, I HAVE some of those in my own family, so I walk the walk, not just talk the talk. I don't care if "most do not engage in a mass shooting." These are my guns, my responsibility. It is my responsibility to keep society safe as much as possible, and that includes totally controlling who has access to guns. (For the record, the only two people with any access to guns in my house are my husband and me and we are both so stable that I'm sure many would consider us quite boring!)
SSRI drugs.....
The ADHD diagnosis strikes again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

33,423 posts, read 14,088,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
With all due respect, why assume the parents/ family know “ the truth”?

Seems to me the families are the most stunned to learn their kid, brother was the killer.

Look at Adam Lanza’s/ Sandy Hook mother. Her 20 year old son had some serious issues. Only way she could get her son off the pc and out of the basement was to take him to a range to shoot. Their communication was limited to email. He was anorexic and non- communicative. He declined medications and mental health help.
Seems she spent a decade walking on egg shells to avoid conflict.

She obviously had no clue what her boy was planning. She was his first victim.

It is believed he might have been on the Autism spectrum. Most on the spectrum are not violent.

The world is full of families walking on egg shells to avoid conflict with a family member. And often times, the conflict is manufactured by a family member to deflect attention away from themselves, drugs, stealing, violence ideation, lack of employment and outside interests and occasionally self- radicalization.

Despite it, most do not engage in a mass shooting.
His ex-girlfriend did a short interview and indicated that he didn’t get the help he needed. I was kind of surprised that she would put herself in the public eye.

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

2,837 posts, read 933,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
“ these people” ?
Yes, the Trump hater crowd.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

4,260 posts, read 2,042,746 times
Default Dayton mayor on Trump: I'm not sure 'he knows what he believes'

Donald Trump can't think when he speaks impromptu, that's why he has speech writers and a teleprompters.

Quote:
The mayor of Dayton, Ohio, has spoken out against President Donald Trump's remarks on guns ahead of his visit to the city following a mass shooting that left 10 people dead, including the gunman.

Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley said Tuesday that Trump's "rhetoric has been painful for many in our community" when asked about his pending visit.

"I can only hope that as president that he's coming here to add value to our community," Whaley said from the Oregon District, where Sunday's shooting occurred.

"I'm disappointed with his remarks. He mentioned gun issues one time. I think watching the president over the last few years on the issue of guns, I'm not sure he knows what he believes," Whaley said.

Dayton mayor on Trump: I'm not sure 'he knows what he believes'

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

28 posts, read 4,516 times
Rude!

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

10,895 posts, read 10,955,191 times
You mean Toledo??

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ting-in-toledo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ay-washington/

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

17,382 posts, read 8,768,652 times
sounds like she needs a writer

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

9,875 posts, read 3,209,126 times
You mean Michigan?

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

6,767 posts, read 3,749,609 times
Yeah. Maybe he'll go to Toledo.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

33,423 posts, read 14,088,968 times
I give him a pass, its tough to keep track of all the mass shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or