Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 09:15 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,491,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Again... This will keep happening until we refuse to accept this as normal and gain the courage to act.. That kind of action will never come from conservatives who have embraced these events as acceptable collateral damage for their proliferation of high capacity assault rifles and the like.

Hopefully one day we will join the ranks of civilized nations, but I'm under no illusions that things will get better as a result of this latest round of caebage.
Have you accepted all the DWI deaths as collateral damage or are you ready to ban either cars or alcohol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:15 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,365,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A good guy is any person who is not the bad guy.

Most good guys with guns, who aren't good guys working as police, carry to protect themselves and their families.

If you don't want to carry, that's your CHOICE.

The 2nd guarantees my right to carry, and I CHOOSE. To do so.

If you're ever in the scenario of a mass shooting, your only hope is that the police arrive before a bullet arrives in you.

My hope is that either the police arrive or tgat I can shoot him before he shoots me.

My odds would be better than yours.
No they are not. The B.S. a good guy with a gun theory has been debunked many times. You've been watching too many John Wayne movies. Wake up. You are living a movie fantasy in your head.

https://law.stanford.edu/press/guns-...ford-analysis/

Old 08-04-2019, 09:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,533,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Duh... you force everyone to walk through a metal detector and then it's in the air. How would that work at a Walmart.
Most gun free zones do not screen or search patrons. It would be impractical to do so.

It’s foolish to think most into CC comply with the decal in the window. Worst ( or best, based on ideology) case is if CC is detected, the carrier may be asked to leave.

In 2018, TSA discovered 4,239 firearms in carry- on baggage, many of which were loaded. who knows how many may have been missed.

Reportedly 3000 people were inside the El Paso Walmart when the shooter entered with his visible weapon.

The Dayton shooting occurred in the street, not in a bar.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:18 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,380,054 times
Not a gun-owner, but we are in need of changing some of many laws on both the state- and federal-levels. Now how we make it so that those laws are not too vague or too specific is a valid concern.

By the number of victims, 9/11 was the worst case of terrorism ever on American soil and it was committed by radical Muslims. By frequency, White supremacists are the worst type of domestic terrorists.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:19 AM

46,842 posts, read 25,791,373 times
I guess the sign with "X days since last mass shooting" has officially been replaced with one saying "X mass shootings today."

Old 08-04-2019, 09:23 AM

15,048 posts, read 10,020,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
All bars should be gun free zones. I’d drink to that. We need stricter gun laws because some loon would abide by them like they do in most democratic run cities.
Most bars and private businesses do have the right to check and check-in firearms when entering. Even in states with conceal-carry. It is then the bar's responsibility to secure happenings inside.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:24 AM

19,583 posts, read 9,117,631 times
Default And now ANOTHER shooting -- Dayton, Ohio

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/04/us/da...ter/index.html

https://www.apnews.com/ca6a0e7c3ed043f8a8e41569b3266fa4

Words fail me.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,365,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Have you accepted all the DWI deaths as collateral damage or are you ready to ban either cars or alcohol?
False equivalency. Guns are made to kill...be it a deer or a human. Yes, a person can use a car as a lethal weapon, but that’s not what they were invented for.

The vast vast majority of automobile deaths are unintentional. Most gun deaths, however, are intentional. Almost two-thirds are suicides. Almost a third are homicides.

As for the specific case of DWIs, the penalty for drunk driving has increased dramatically over the last few decades (rightly so). And the death rates by such accidents have decreased significantly over the same time period.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,533,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, I don't think a place like Texas has gun laws. They can carry guns around in public! Can you imagine going into a town and people are walking around with guns on them, as if it's 1775 and we are having a revolution? I cannot imagine going into a Walmart and being around people who think it's cool to wear guns.

Here in MA and CT, we have strict gun laws and we have two of the safest states. The main thing we'd worry about was someone from a gun addicted state coming here and shooting people. I am getting so fed up with these people that I just wish they would stay out of our states. Stay where they belong, back in the 1700s when we actually needed our own grassroots militia.
No shortage of people in the crowds were doing the open carry thing when gun fire broke out in Dallas. Many had their guns slung over their shoulders. In an instant, they made the decision to run for their lives with everyone else. This created a perception that people were being chased by the shooter and added to the chaos.

No way to distinguish good vs bad guys with guns in the midst of chaos.

No shortage of people under attack in Las Vegas perceived the source of shooting to be coming from within the crowd or low windows of nearby buildings. All it would have taken to increase the toll, was a few armed Rambos in the crowd.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:27 AM

15,048 posts, read 10,020,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I always wonder, if gun laws work, why hasn’t it?
4 of the deadliest mass shootings are in a state that has lax gun laws; Texas.

Gun laws we have currently is faulty....

I am not offering a solution nor implying one. But the premise of pointing out that our gun laws don't equate to lower gun related crime doesn't mean the failure of the concept of gun laws/regulation/restrictions but rather the failure of our specific implemented gun laws we have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies