Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 09:37 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Except those with gun in the El Paso Walmart ran instead of stopping the shooter. In other words, doesn't help.
As they should....

The presence (possible) of a armed individual is a crime deterrent (even the El Paso shooter impied in his manifesto). However, in a mass shooter situation when the individual doesn't care and has a death wish (also admitted in El Paso Shooter's manifesto) it is no longer a deterrent.

So yeh... in this case.. it didn't help.

Last edited by usayit; 08-04-2019 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:38 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Lol. you don't think airplanes, ships or trucks pass our borders when entering our country?

You believe our only border is between us and Mexico?

ROFLMAO!!!

Do all you liberals believe this? Do you all believe our only border is between us and Mexico?
Not hardly. The original post was about drug laws stopping the flow of drugs, if you recall. The only thing that will eliminate supply is to first eliminate demand.

I used street drugs for seventeen years, but was never addicted to them. If there were no drugs to be had temporarily because of a bust somwehwere, you simply didn't use them. That will also work with semiauto weapons. If you eliminate them via legisalteion, a few will still slip through because some people will always be so terified that they feel the need for more firepower to outgun some imaginary attacker. As those people revel themselves and thier hardware, appropriate measures can be taken.

To say we should not pass gun laws because people will ignore them is the same as saying there should not be any speed limits on the highways because drivers exceed them.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I'd argue you're more fearful.

You want to restrict other's rights due to your fear.
No. I want to insure that everyone has rights, including the right to go about their daily business without fear of being attacked by a gunman. I personally have never carried and have no intentions of doing so. I refuse to live in fear.

Do you?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how all our laws against heroine has wiped out heroine use.
A heroine is an admired female.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh, you were there?
There are reports of concealed weapon holders at the El Paso shooting. They did what they should have... not play Rambo/Hero. One helped children get out of harms way.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I guess it is still too soon to talk about gun violence in this country, right Moscow Mitch?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:44 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
4 of the deadliest mass shootings are in a state that has lax gun laws; Texas.

Gun laws we have currently is faulty....
Or there's just a lot more mentally ill people in Texas?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:45 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Maybe there should be an "ALL MASS SHOOTINGS -- MERGED THREAD"??? All the different posts on all the different threads on all the different shootings say essentially the same thing.

(Sorry -- I am just very disgusted and ANGRY over many mass shooting recently, and I don't think anyone has any solutions that would please the majority of people. I am just frustrated, disgusted and angry that anyone with a problem thinks it is okay to let out his or her anger by killing a bunch of people.)

Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm not the person (or type of person) that you're asking this of, but I believe that much of this is a distorted perception of risk, where the amount of fear is based on what they see on the news and other propaganda but they dismiss other risks that are likely more eminent.
I worked as a gunsmith for four years, and sold to the public. It is truly amazing what people will tell you when they feel they are in a safe situation. Those who were looking for a pistol to carry who were not doing so in the line of duty for their jobs either 1) were terrified they would be attacked if they went out in public, 2) thought they would be James Bond or Wyatt Earp and become a hero in case of an active shooter situation, 3) thought that wearing a sidearm would instantly give them the respect they couldn't earn any other way, or 4) made large cash deposits when they closed their businesses for the day.

These were not people who wanted home protection, they were people who were afraid. The modern age of instant information and disinformation has exacerbated the issue. The terrorists have won in far too many minds.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
There are reports of concealed weapon holders at the El Paso shooting. They did what they should have... not play Rambo/Hero. One helped children get out of harms way.
That is the first thing taught in any competent CWP class. In case of an active shooter, get the hell out if you can and don't look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies