Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 11:43 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,315,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
If i saw correctly, the dude called a threat into his school and was caught doing it a few years ago...
Yes, and multiple people have contacted law enforcement over the years about his increasingly violent rhetoric. Nada. Nothing.

So much for "See something, say something."

We need to be able to police - yes, that's right - POLICE - what people write and say and threaten. People need to be held responsible for their words.

Also, we need more of a focus on mental health and what constitutes a red flag. And frankly, I think we need to be less concerned about the rights of people who exhibit serious mental health symptoms or who make threats of violence.

A few years ago, my brother became so threatening and began behaving so bizarrely that I finally called the police as well as the local government funded mental healthcare facility. Both of them told me "Well, we really can't do anything unless he breaks a law - and it's not against the law to be crazy." Well, fast forward a coupla years later and boy did he ever break some laws. Though he did injure someone and destroy a lot of property and make some very serious threats, thank God he didn't kill anyone. Even so, his arrest was pretty damn spectacular. Besides the fact that he terrorized and injured people, our government spent probably over $100,000 arresting him. After snipers, helicopters, ATF, FBI, etc etc etc came in, they found my brother stumbling down a dirt road, wearing nothing but a t shirt. He was apprehended with no struggle. Yes, he was a danger to others, but by that time he had also destroyed his own life. Does it really have to come to all that?

And don't even get me started on the rest of the dog and pony show that took place over the next five years - all at tax payer expense. And I doubt that his victims will ever fully recover emotionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:47 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,366,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
and after the 2ed is gone then comes the First Amendment to be chewed up and spit out. " Step by step and slowly I turned "

1776 will commence all over again.
They came for our guns in Concord & Lexington. Santa Anna, came for our guns in Texas.
WE KILLED THEM.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:47 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,044,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, and multiple people have contacted law enforcement over the years
The same people that the Left wants us to turn our guns in to...so they can "protect us".

Old 08-05-2019, 11:50 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,418,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Why would I be angry about someone pointing out nonsense?

And please explain why Heavy's report is unreliable. I'll wait.
Here is one: https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/heavy.com

And the fact that the site is not even listed when you look to see who is right or left leaning tells me all I need to know. A site like this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/check-...as-media-site/

Old 08-05-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I really have to ask you, PP. Do you need and support average citizens being able to possess automatic weapons that have NO purpose, other than to kill as many people as possible in as short a period of time as possible ?

Pistols, rifles, and shotguns I am fine with. Assault weapons I am not. If I can't protect myself with one of those weapons, I have no business shooting anything.
Yes, many reasons. Overly sensitive and easily offended collective of people get violent.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
About as fast as they did the Republican Baseball field shooter.
They didn't do a very good job of hiding him.

Again - you have to own that your bias makes you see or not see what you want.

The Dayton shooter could be a Democrat but we have nothing to suggest his actions were politically motivated - -not yet.

And the fact that folks are so desperate for this to be a politically driven shooting suggests that there is more concern about keeping score than the violence in general.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:54 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post

And the fact that the site is not even listed when you look to see who is right or left leaning tells me all I need to know. A site like this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/check-...as-media-site/
But many conservatives don't agree with InfoWars being at the very bottom right.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:55 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,399,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post

Quote:
Overall, we rate Heavy, slightly Left-Center biased based on story selection that sometimes favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/?s=heavy.com

Old 08-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They didn't do a very good job of hiding him.

Again - you have to own that your bias makes you see or not see what you want.

The Dayton shooter could be a Democrat but we have nothing to suggest his actions were politically motivated - -not yet.

And the fact that folks are so desperate for this to be a politically driven shooting suggests that there is more concern about keeping score than the violence in general.
My bias is that everyone should be armed while out in public, not just the evil guy with killing on his mind.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:56 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,315,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You were saying?

https://news.sky.com/story/why-are-w...tings-11252808

White men make up over 60% of the shooters in the past 37 years. Blacks make up less than 20%.
Look - I am not a racist, not by a long shot. My family looks like a UN delegation.

But PER CAPITA, white folks make up 71.5 (60.4 percent are white, non Hispanic) percent of the population. Black folks make up 13.4 percent. I mean, if we're talking numbers, those are some numbers.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045218
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies