U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 08:38 AM
 
1,363 posts, read 308,008 times
Reputation: 1576

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
...I cited Baltimore's Office of Budget and Management.


He could cite other places as well that are objective. My personal source of information is NPR, whatever government agency is working in the policy area or compiling a compendium of research from as many news outlets as possible to discern a truth from the noise.


...Your head is in the sand.
You think Baltimore's office of budget and management is going to be forthcoming with the exposure of their own mismanagement of federal funds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Chicago
928 posts, read 736,605 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...there's five links in the article
2 go to FoxBaltimore (which actually have nothing to do with "missing funds" and go to the same... article) which point to this quote
"Williams can’t confirm if money has been mishandled in Baltimore City, but believes the problem lies with our city leaders."
...So... Those links are useless.


1 goes to the UK equivalent of Breitbart (DailyMail) which has a good bit more detail than Fox (...How does a UK firm have more access to Baltimore's financial accounting infrastructure than Fox Baltimore?) but really doesn't offer details (there's more large pictures of Baltimore's bad side than there is quality reporting...).
What's interesting about this one is if you cross reference its details w/ the Baltimore sun article it sounds like Baltimore was supposed to receive funds from the federal government, never did, auditors operated on the assumption that Baltimore was supposed to have funds the feds were supposed to send and dinged them for it.


...It sounds like the feds dropped the ball on this audit cycle.



1 goes to the Blatimore Sun with the headline "Baltimore does not receive the 'billions' Trump says city government wastes, steals".


1 goes to Don's Twitter... Which I am not clicking on....


So... Those links are actually pretty useless and do not support the initial reporting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Chicago
928 posts, read 736,605 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
You think Baltimore's office of budget and management is going to be forthcoming with the exposure of their own mismanagement of federal funds?
I've worked in an OBM office before.


There's significant pressure from city officials but we did the right thing.
It's when Budget Office leadership is wholly in the pocket of the mayor's office should we be worried about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:47 AM
 
Location: state of enlightenment
2,396 posts, read 4,685,442 times
Reputation: 2444
TRILLIONS unaccounted for by the Pentagon. President Bone Spurs missing in action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:57 AM
 
1,503 posts, read 1,361,936 times
Reputation: 1203
Default Baltimore Resident's Biggest Gripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Breitbart?

Really?

Please cite Baltimore obm or a more valid source

All the noisy Life Flight and ambulance traffic 24/7 to the Johns Hopkins Trauma Center.



Read the Sun And the Maryland editions of the national press.



Home Repairs: Maryland | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and ...


https://www.hud.gov/states/maryland/homeownership/homerepairs
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development - home ... Loan Center - loans and grants to qualifying veterans to adapt an existing dwelling to ...




Maryland - HUD.gov / US Department of Housing and Urban ...


https://www.hud.gov/states/maryland




University of Maryland Wins HUD 2019 Innovation in Affordable Housing Student ... HUD Awards $101,000 to Fight Housing Discrimination in Baltimore City.




Baltimore receives $30 million federal HUD grant for Perkins Homes ...


https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-choice-neighborhoods...

Jul 19, 2018
Baltimore receives $30 million federal HUD grant for Perkins Homes, East Baltimore redevelopment.




Maryland receives $53.3 million from HUD to help the ... - Baltimore Sun


https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-hud-homeless-funds-2...




Feb 9, 2019 - Maryland receives $53.3 million in federal funds from HUD to help the ... The money, in the form of Continuum of Care Program grants, will .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Chicago
928 posts, read 736,605 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
All the noisy Life Flight and ambulance traffic 24/7 to the Johns Hopkins Trauma Center.



Read the Sun And the Maryland editions of the national press.



Home Repairs: Maryland | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and ...


https://www.hud.gov/states/maryland/homeownership/homerepairs
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development - home ... Loan Center - loans and grants to qualifying veterans to adapt an existing dwelling to ...




Maryland - HUD.gov / US Department of Housing and Urban ...


https://www.hud.gov/states/maryland




University of Maryland Wins HUD 2019 Innovation in Affordable Housing Student ... HUD Awards $101,000 to Fight Housing Discrimination in Baltimore City.




Baltimore receives $30 million federal HUD grant for Perkins Homes ...


https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-choice-neighborhoods...

Jul 19, 2018
Baltimore receives $30 million federal HUD grant for Perkins Homes, East Baltimore redevelopment.




Maryland receives $53.3 million from HUD to help the ... - Baltimore Sun


https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-hud-homeless-funds-2...




Feb 9, 2019 - Maryland receives $53.3 million in federal funds from HUD to help the ... The money, in the form of Continuum of Care Program grants, will .
Those are quality references.


I examined Breitbart's and they're pretty bad.

Last edited by ARaider08; Today at 09:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:54 AM
 
37,370 posts, read 16,242,778 times
Reputation: 8494
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Breitbart?

Really?

Please cite Baltimore obm or a more valid source

What is obm?


Instead of trying to divert the issue how about PROVING what they say is WRONG?
You CAN'T, which is why you went after the source,'


By NOT reading the article due to pure bias, you did NOT know the article cited USA Today and other "credible" sources.

"According to a 2018 audit of the city’s finances provided by USASpending.gov, Baltimore received $5.44 billion in federal grants, contracts, and other financial assistance."


"But the problem is, millions of the $5.44 billion in federal grants remain “unaccounted for,” with many of the awarded amounts showing up as $0 in the audit for entries like “Baltimore City Mayor’s Office,” “Baltimore City Housing Police,” “Baltimore City Health Department,” and “Baltimore City Public School Systems.” Baltimore City auditor Audrey Askew resigned in February after rumors surfaced that she faced pressure to “write-off” money that was not accounted for.
Former Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh resigned three months later due to a growing scandal where she allegedly profited over hundreds of thousands of dollars from children’s books she wrote that the University of Maryland’s Medical System bought while she served as a board member."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:57 AM
 
19,531 posts, read 12,347,566 times
Reputation: 10746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No need.

The majority of Larger Democrat led (especially minority) cities have had a large part their Mayors or City Councilmen end up doing jail time for corruption. It's even true here in Dallas.

Democrats don't want to fix their problems. It would cut off the Billions of slush funds that pour into their corrupt local politicians to buy off votes.

Becoming a Democrat Politician is like winning the Corruption lottery.
Just make sure you cover each others azz, don't be stupid and get caught.


Well stated. It is amazing how many democrats become rich being "public servants". One of our former senators from Iowa, Tom Harkin, went from a net worth of $400K to $28 million during his 24 year tenure as a US Senator. Pretty good take for a government employee. His republican counterpart, on the other hand, had little change in his net worth.


To top it off, Harkin did not even live in the US for the last 12 years of office, living in the Bahamas and keeping a shell address in his "home state", from which he immediately even closed that after leaving office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:59 AM
 
19,531 posts, read 12,347,566 times
Reputation: 10746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What is obm?


Instead of trying to divert the issue how about PROVING what they say is WRONG?
You CAN'T, which is why you went after the source,'


By NOT reading the article due to pure bias, you did NOT know the article cited USA Today and other "credible" sources.

"According to a 2018 audit of the city’s finances provided by USASpending.gov, Baltimore received $5.44 billion in federal grants, contracts, and other financial assistance."


"But the problem is, millions of the $5.44 billion in federal grants remain “unaccounted for,” with many of the awarded amounts showing up as $0 in the audit for entries like “Baltimore City Mayor’s Office,” “Baltimore City Housing Police,” “Baltimore City Health Department,” and “Baltimore City Public School Systems.” Baltimore City auditor Audrey Askew resigned in February after rumors surfaced that she faced pressure to “write-off” money that was not accounted for.
Former Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh resigned three months later due to a growing scandal where she allegedly profited over hundreds of thousands of dollars from children’s books she wrote that the University of Maryland’s Medical System bought while she served as a board member."
You are correct- this issue has been covered in far more sources than Breitbart. Liberals cannot face the reality that their party is rife with corruption so, instead of addressing it, they choose to ignore it.


I doubt there would be many democrat politicians if the party did not let them steal, as it is a democrat tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:38 PM
 
1,288 posts, read 1,045,580 times
Reputation: 769
I'm not sure why folks looking for stolen and wasted federal funds are starting with Breitbart. The City budget https://bbmr.baltimorecity.gov/sites...et%20web_1.pdf (see page 32) shows the city receiving about a quarter billion dollars each year. Assuming all that money is wasted or stolen, that would add up to nearly a billion dollars down the drain over four years. Money wasted or stolen by city schools and the housing authority are not included on the city's books. That adds up to hundreds of millions more.

The bottom line is that federal spending belongs to the American people and not Baltimorieans. The same goes for money that goes to institutions located in Baltimore, such as Johns Hopkins. The solution is to make sure no federal spending enters Baltimore for anything, so that the money can be redistributed to Americans. Cutting off Baltimore would bring the city to its knees in no time, which would be a huge win for the American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top