Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 06:53 PM

21,431 posts, read 7,387,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
where can I buy a bumper sticker like those billboards? PS so so sorry he'll be out of action w/ a fx shoulder - someone should start a thread for his fans to convey condolences to him
Thoughts and Prayers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 01:35 AM

20,102 posts, read 16,043,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
These MUST sting. McConnell may not get re-elected after the stupid move blocking an election security bill.

source: https://twitter.com/PGOrgeWalker/sta...37572301221888
Won’t make a bit of difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I dunno. For quite a while his approval ratings in Kentucky were below 20%. His Kentucky and national approval ratings have improved this year, but they are not great.

"The latest rankings – based on surveys of 416,853 registered voters across the country conducted Oct. 1 through Dec. 31, 2018 (see methodology here) – found McConnell’s net approval increased 10 percentage points since the third quarter of 2018, with 38 percent of Kentucky voters approving of his job performance and 47 percent disapproving." https://morningconsult.com/2019/01/1...ators-q4-2018/

I think if Kentucky voters had their way, he'd have been replaced by now. But no organized party, at either the state or local levels, is going to offer any support to a challenger to a Speaker or Senate President from that party. Now if his colleagues turned on him, that might be a different story. But they won't, because he is as good at his job of Senate President as anyone has ever been.

Exactly the same dynamics are in play with Pelosi.
I don’t know a single person in the state who is a fan of his, but the same could said in the 80’s, the 90’s, and the 2000’s. The entire state has long had a love/hate relationship with him. He’s like your rich obnoxious old uncle that pays your college tuition and gives you spending money - you like the outcome enough that you do your best to ignore the stuff about him that drives you crazy.

The Kentucky voters are having their way. They aren’t voting for him as the lesser of two evils, they are choosing to vote for him even when there is a reasonable alternative choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yeah, and you expect Kentucky voters to elect a loony Dem who claimed she felt like 9/11 all over again when Trump was elected?
And in a state where Trump won 118 out 120 counties...... many by above 70%.

Face it rest of the country, you are probably stuck with Mitch until he decides it’s time to quit.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:58 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,558,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Won’t make a bit of difference.
I don’t know a single person in the state who is a fan of his, but the same could said in the 80’s, the 90’s, and the 2000’s. The entire state has long had a love/hate relationship with him. He’s like your rich obnoxious old uncle that pays your college tuition and gives you spending money - you like the outcome enough that you do your best to ignore the stuff about him that drives you crazy.

The Kentucky voters are having their way. They aren’t voting for him as the lesser of two evils, they are choosing to vote for him even when there is a reasonable alternative choice.

And in a state where Trump won 118 out 120 counties...... many by above 70%.

Face it rest of the country, you are probably stuck with Mitch until he decides it’s time to quit.
It certainly will be an interesting race. The Democrats have a legitimate contender, ex-military and on the conservative side of the Democratic party. McConnell has a lot of baggage, but I take your point with interest.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,077,243 times
He really does look like a Turtle..

Old 08-05-2019, 02:35 AM

14,687 posts, read 7,996,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It certainly will be an interesting race. The Democrats have a legitimate contender, ex-military and on the conservative side of the Democratic party. McConnell has a lot of baggage, but I take your point with interest.

I really like Amy McGrath a lot. I respect her Military service and she seems to have some qualities that serve her well...but now she is claiming that she is a a "Pro Trump Democrat". No way in #%#%$ am I gonna vote for that. Trump is the whole reason that I left the Republican Party.

(She is more than likely just saying that to get elected....but it is going to turn a lot of people off!

I don't really know anyone who likes Mitch....but, yet it's always been that way...but somehow he is always gets re-elected.
Sigh. (As bad as he is, he is a peach compared to our Governor!)

Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 AM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
Ha! Those are hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think if Kentucky voters had their way, he'd have been replaced by now. But no organized party, at either the state or local levels, is going to offer any support to a challenger to a Speaker or Senate President from that party.
This is what I'm hearing from my friends across the Ohio. They hate McConnell, but they won't vote for a Democrat. And since the Republican Party in Kentucky won't cross McConnell to back a challenger, the Republican voters are stuck with him.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:11 AM

18,749 posts, read 11,727,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I'm not sure McConnell even needs Russian money or skullduggery to win elections statewide. He's never been extremely popular in the state - but he always gets just enough votes in the rural areas to outweigh the metro areas like Louisville which generally dislike him. Would never count him out in elections because he plays politics like a hardball contact sport, but it's good to make him sweat a bit.
I think I might have to agree with you here. We have a politician that runs in a tiny district and keeps getting re-elected. He's bad for our state but his constituents are well cared for. He's the speaker of the house in our state, and very powerful. That translates into about 2% of the vote in Illinois. McConnell is a snake and very good at being one. It's a sad surrender when we the people fail to see who we really elect.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:35 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,558,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I really like Amy McGrath a lot. I respect her Military service and she seems to have some qualities that serve her well...but now she is claiming that she is a a "Pro Trump Democrat". No way in #%#%$ am I gonna vote for that. Trump is the whole reason that I left the Republican Party.

(She is more than likely just saying that to get elected....but it is going to turn a lot of people off!

I don't really know anyone who likes Mitch....but, yet it's always been that way...but somehow he is always gets re-elected.
Sigh. (As bad as he is, he is a peach compared to our Governor!)
She SAID that??

This article seems to put more nuance around that. I read it that she seems to understand why people voted for Trump, not that she supports him. She asks why he hasn't "drained the swamp", blames McConnell as the reason.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,783,331 times
If you don't have a problem with this billboard then you shouldn't have a problem with the 4 horsewomen billboard either. Frankly it's free speech and capitalism all rolled into one. I think ALL billboards are ugly and should not exist as they ugly up the landscape.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:13 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,426,041 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqDVObM1kxc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies