U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 12:22 PM

27,275 posts, read 9,329,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
There, I said it.

In their defense, they had no idea what that amendment would result in some 200+ years later, no way to know the kind of advanced weaponry that would be invented and fall into hands they don't belong in, no way of knowing how Americans would misuse and abuse the amendment in ways they never intended.

But here we are.

It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
Government goons are shooting and clubbing people all around the world in Russia, China, Venezuela, Iran, having taken the guns away from their citizens !!! But we aren't there and we ain't going there either !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 12:23 PM

39,784 posts, read 41,146,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It keeps flip flopping on every issue, mainly due to the politiocal nature of appointments.
Once again this rare, about once a year and typically for much older cases.

Quote:
Abortion may be the next big u-turn after Trump's Appointments.

Firstly there is no right to abortion spelled out in the Constitution. There has been more that 60 million abortions since Roe vs Wade. I got news for you this is a concern that goes beyond the pro life crowd. I don't expect it to be completely overturned but I would expect some significant changes.

Quote:

As for the Constitution it's been Ammended and revised numerous times in relation to numerous issues.

Yes it has and if you can get 38 states to agree you can produce any law you want covering anything imaginable.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:30 PM

682 posts, read 496,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Government goons are shooting and clubbing people all around the world in Russia, China, Venezuela, Iran, having taken the guns away from their citizens !!! But we aren't there and we ain't going there either !!!
So next time I'm driving through some crappy red state and get pulled over, I'll just pull out my mangum 44 and tell that officer he ain't givin' me no ticket. How will that work out?

Apparently at the Las Vegas massacre many of the people in the audience were armed. But everyone was afraid either other people or the police would shoot them if they started shooting wildly at the prepetrator so most just hid. That in itself should be an argument against having everyone armed in public.

The problem right now is even states with reasonable restrictions like CA have idiotic states nearby. The guy in Gilroy bought his weapon in Nevada and drove to CA.

Having no guns at public events is a no brainier.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:49 PM

30,250 posts, read 15,720,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
So next time I'm driving through some crappy red state and get pulled over, I'll just pull out my mangum 44 and tell that officer he ain't givin' me no ticket. How will that work out?

Apparently at the Las Vegas massacre many of the people in the audience were armed. But everyone was afraid either other people or the police would shoot them if they started shooting wildly at the prepetrator so most just hid. That in itself should be an argument against having everyone armed in public.

The problem right now is even states with reasonable restrictions like CA have idiotic states nearby. The guy in Gilroy bought his weapon in Nevada and drove to CA.

Jews, who weren't allowed to be armed, were not given speeding tickets in Germany. Their government was murdering them.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:57 PM

35,796 posts, read 32,520,399 times
Quote:
They didnít. That guy literally walked into a Walmart with a semiautomatic weapon. Noone even called the cops becaude its Texas, and thats legal there.
No it's not. Private property can do what they want.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:58 PM

35,796 posts, read 32,520,399 times
Quote:

Like garlic festivals.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:59 PM

19,603 posts, read 17,644,641 times
The founding fathers wanted citizens to have firearms that were the equal to that of soldiers of the day.
Had repeating weapons been around then( and there were some interesting examples that were), they'd have wanted citizens to have them as well.
The Founding Fathers were the best and brightest leaders and statesman this country has ever seen. Would you let a community arts school student" fix" the Mona Lisa?

Old 08-04-2019, 01:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,374,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
There, I said it.

In their defense, they had no idea what that amendment would result in some 200+ years later, no way to know the kind of advanced weaponry that would be invented and fall into hands they don't belong in, no way of knowing how Americans would misuse and abuse the amendment in ways they never intended.

But here we are.

It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
If we as citizens were not to allow to bear arms we would not have driven out the British.

Our army was nothing more than armed citizens/militias that had weapons to overthrow a foreign power.

Now muskets are not as lethal has a fully automatic machine guns (illegal by the way), but having the right to bear arms keeps our government or any other body in check from having complete obedient control over it's citizens.

We live in a country that the very few screw it up for the masses. This is one liberty/right that we as citizens will never relinquish.

The government is slowly reducing what firearms/magazine sizes we a citizens can own. Be careful what you wish for because if we ever become governed by a tyrannical government we as citizens are essentially slaves to our masters because you can't make an impact with single shot pistols.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:12 PM

1,395 posts, read 904,482 times
Quote:
Apparently at the Las Vegas massacre many of the people in the audience were armed. But everyone was afraid either other people or the police would shoot them if they started shooting wildly at the prepetrator
The shooter was a thousand feet away, so returning fire with handguns at an unseen shooter would have been pointless.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:13 PM

14,034 posts, read 12,752,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you're basically saying you have no idea why they wrote the 2nd.

It wasn't about hunting. They wrote the 2nd specifically for allowing citizens to resist government aggression.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shays'_Rebellion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or