U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 01:09 AM

1,504 posts, read 906,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
No, it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 01:21 AM

219 posts, read 254,136 times
Thank god I live in Australia, never seen anyone carry a gun. The average person here finds the idea of carrying a weapon absurd. The US has sadly reached a point of no return.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:34 AM

27,111 posts, read 11,384,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
There, I said it.

In their defense, they had no idea what that amendment would result in some 200+ years later, no way to know the kind of advanced weaponry that would be invented and fall into hands they don't belong in, no way of knowing how Americans would misuse and abuse the amendment in ways they never intended.

But here we are.

It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
lol Muskets were advanced weaponry then.
You don't get to tell someone what to use when they exercise their right to defending themselves.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Thank god I live in Australia, never seen anyone carry a gun. The average person here finds the idea of carrying a weapon absurd. The US has sadly reached a point of no return.
Agreed thank god you live in Australia. The average person here finds the idea of defending themselves sane. Australia has sadly reached the point of no return.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Wrong....the founding fathers were right. Modern leftists are just domestic enemies of America and freedom. The second amendment was put in place in part as a check on federal power. They knew exactly what they were doing. Thankfully there is very little chance in repealing the 2nd amendment and that being the case all these traitors calling for gun confiscation and restrictions cannot legally do what they want to do. My rights are not up for negotiations or debate.
Against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed thank god you live in Australia. The average person here finds the idea of defending themselves sane. Australia has sadly reached the point of no return.
Defend ourselves from who? Iíve never seen a gun or heard a gunshot in my life lol.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Defend ourselves from who? I’ve never seen a gun or heard a gunshot in my life lol.
Ask your relatives about the 1940s. Or ask the indigenous if they would have liked to have automatic weapons in the late 1700s.

Oh that's right there are American military bases there to help defend you.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:00 AM

5,778 posts, read 7,630,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Bob, do you realize the 2nd is in the Bill of Rights?

Bob, do you realize the Bill of Rights are protections for the INDIVIDUAL from government?

I'll summarize. They wrote a special group of right for individuals which are the first 10 amendments of the Constitution. These are rights, not for agents of the government such as soldiers but for individuals. Had they been about organizing the military, it would not have been included in the rights for individuals - the Bill of Rights.

Don't worry, lots of people know very little about our Constitution.
Perhaps you would care to explain why the militia was even mentioned in the 2nd amendment, if it was not the intention of the framers to make sure they had the right to arms.
It is the"people "of the militia that the framers were designating to have the right to arms.
After all, it was the militia that fought the revolutionary war, so it is only fitting a militia be armed, without restrictions, in case they were needed to quell some sort of future invasion.

The logical question to ask at this point would be, "then why does the 2nd state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed".
The answer, the people referred to, were people who would constitute a militia.

The preamble starts with, "We the people", and those three short words are the embodiment of all the people, including those who would become a militia.
Those people were singled out in the 2nd amendment when the militia was mentioned in the amendment, and in the bill of rights, these soon to be militia members,were grouped in the phrase,we the people.
That in no way meant that the entire population was granted the right to have arms.

If you can offer another reason why the militia was mentioned in the 2nd, I am all ears.

Bob.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Ask your relatives about the 1940s. Or ask the indigenous if they would have liked to have automatic weapons in the late 1700s.

Oh that's right there are American military bases there to help defend you.
How are the 1700s relevant to 2019? Iím happy I can walk down the street knowing that dozens of people who walk by me arenít carrying a gun. Thatís the society I want to be living in.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
How are the 1700s relevant to 2019? I’m happy I can walk down the street knowing that dozens of people who walk by me aren’t carrying a gun. That’s the society I want to be living in.
Then it's a fantasy world you live in. Do you think people felt all warm and fuzzy in that they were safe right before the Darwin shooting? Or the 5 killed in the 2018 Bedford Massacre? Oh wait that was a knife.

Just because you can't see doesn't mean it's not there. Refuse to see it in your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or