U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 08:41 AM

18,859 posts, read 9,210,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I can't say it often enough: Google "Title 10, USC" and read it. You will find out exactly what the United States militia is! You might even find that you are a member of that Militia, and weren't aware of it!
The unorganized militia is NOT the National Guard which is part of the government and U.S. Army. The unorganized militia is made up of the People, citizens. However, the Supreme Court ruled the Second Amendment is an INDIVIDAUL RIGHT, and not subject to being in an unorganized militia, nor any militia.

The PEOPLE must own and bear firearms privately in order to be eligible to be in a militia anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 AM

30,356 posts, read 15,755,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The unorganized militia is NOT the National Guard which is part of the government and U.S. Army. The unorganized militia is made up of the People, citizens. However, the Supreme Court ruled the Second Amendment is an INDIVIDAUL RIGHT, and not subject to being in an unorganized militia, nor any militia.
Correct, the founding fathers didn't want a standing army. They believed that by allowing regular individuals to be armed, they would be the first line of defense until an army was organized.

However, the main purpose of the 2nd was for protection against any threat, including government aggression either foreign or domestic which is why it's included in the Bill of Rights.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:33 AM

9,580 posts, read 7,952,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

The PEOPLE must own and bear firearms privately in order to be eligible to be in a militia anyway.

Very true. So, if you are of an age to be a member of the "Unorganized Militia" as called for in Title 10, USC, but you do not own a weapon along with an adequate amount of ammunition, you are not in compliance with the law.
In fact, in some states the Militia is spelled out in the State Constitution! What does YOUR State Constitution say about the rights and responsibilities of firearms ownership? Does it require you to answer the call to assist civil authorities? (Montana State Constitution, Article II, Section 12) Do you have the weapon(s) to provide such assistance, and are you properly trained in the use of your weapons?
If your State Constitution has such a provision, you ARE part of your State Militia! You should have the necessary armament to assist the civilian authorities!

Old 08-05-2019, 09:44 AM

9,965 posts, read 2,779,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"If you think critically the answer will become obvious."

When you start out with INSULTING ACCSATIONS, you are IGNORED RIGHT OFF THE BAT.
I apologize if my words came off as insulting or condescending, that was not my intent.

I used critical thinking as a general world to explain, not as a word targeted towards you or anyone else.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:58 AM

11,456 posts, read 18,682,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
There, I said it.

In their defense, they had no idea what that amendment would result in some 200+ years later, no way to know the kind of advanced weaponry that would be invented and fall into hands they don't belong in, no way of knowing how Americans would misuse and abuse the amendment in ways they never intended.

But here we are.

It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
I guess they made a mistake with the 1st, 4th and 5th amendments also.

They could have never known that internet and smart phones would be used to promote hate and bullying to push people to murder or suicide. They should have thought out the 4th and 5th amendments, many of these shooters said things that if those amendments didn't exist we could have locked them up before they were able to kill, dang right to privacy and a a right to a lawyer holds it back.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 AM

37,838 posts, read 16,374,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thought processes of gun advocates/proponents are so petrified that even Sandy Hook didn't phase them. It defies any attempt at rational explanation. One has to wonder, hate as I do to even bring it up, if they would remain equally unreachable if it were their own child.

Bottom line is this....the gun culture is going away. It's just a matter of time. Those who have to be dragged kicking and screaming toward a safe and civil society without a gun on their hip will not be taken seriously on any issue going forward and will thus forfeit all political influence. Folks that fit that description are digging a big hole.
"It defies any attempt at rational explanation." The problem is we have NOT heard any "rational explanations".

"Those who have to be dragged kicking and screaming toward a safe and civil society without a gun on their hip will not be taken seriously" When you have gotten ALL the guns away from criminals and crazy people, come back and will talk. You can start with all the ghettos.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Almost nothing from 1787 resembles 2019.
Actually, it DOES.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:06 AM

11,116 posts, read 2,888,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They did not make a mistake, our current politicians are making a mistake by ignoring the "well regulated militia" wording.

A well regulated militia = well functioning militia.

Such militia would not have :

- Criminals
- Drug addicts
- Habitual drunks
- Children
- Mentally ill
- Untrained people
- People incapable of handling firearms

Instead the NRA insists everyone should be allowed to own firearms no matter what.
Well, its not govts job to determine who is qualified to be part of the militia though...that would kind of be a HUGE conflict of interest, no?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I apologize if my words came off as insulting or condescending, that was not my intent.

I used critical thinking as a general world to explain, not as a word targeted towards you or anyone else.
Apology accepted.

The ANT-gunners do NOT use "critical thinking". They created gun free zones" and what happened? MOST school shooting were at schools in "gun free zones", The so-called Assault Weapons Ban by clinton had almost ZERO affect, etc.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 AM

17,021 posts, read 22,397,534 times
The founding fathers made no mistake. The past few generations have made a mistake by allowing our country to be consumed with pathological selfishness, greed, widespread acceptance of bullying behavior, contempt for allowing the use of public funding for healthcare including mental healthcare, the elimination of most benefits and vacation time for workers, acceptance of foreign policy that heavily relies on use of the military to inflict violence on other peoples. idolizing the military and glorifying war, and too much rapid scapegoating for different groups of people for any problem we have. We have a violent, frantic, stressed out, unhealthy population conditioned by society to accept violence other western nations don't tolerate. Scapegoating gunowners and the second amendment won't eliminate the problem. But this country is too consumed by hateful, partisan divisions to ever have a real conversation about why our country is violent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or