U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2019, 11:11 PM
 
9,634 posts, read 4,388,149 times
Reputation: 11158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Well, I agree the Founders made a mistake with the 2nd amendment. The mistake was that it is very poorly worded.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

That is not even a coherent sentence. Grammatically incorrect. If they intended for the right to arms to be universal, they should have left out the first part. If they wanted the right to be reserved to members of the militia, they should have clearly stated that.

Instead we have this contradictory wording that allows us now to have these endless debates about what they really meant.
That is based on modern day interpretation. To cut to the chase, how about acknowledging that all the initial amendments are about individual rights. To think the 2nd was to speak of collective rights alone would be a foolish endeavor.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 PM
 
228 posts, read 47,829 times
Reputation: 299
Agreed...worried about the masses of American citizens each having guns that can kill 50 people in 10 seconds or so. Scared just thinking about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 AM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
8,770 posts, read 6,253,238 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow you are really misguided.

Try reading the Federalist papers (published well before the internet ever came along).
Contained within those historical documents was the reasoning and rational of the Founding Fathers thoughts, beliefs, and social norms of the day.
So to try and claim some internet kook created false dogma in the last 30 years, and it has spread like fake news recently, is patently false!


`
Ahhh.......another special soul whose gun is going to keep him exempt from government encroachment. Another alternate reality dweller whose gun is going to invalidate any laws or government authority he doesn't like. You know, like your special gun has done for the last 30 years as the fringe left has threaded its control into every last detail of the way we live and the way our children/grandchildren think.

You wanna know what misguided is? It's clinging to the delusion that in 2019 your gun and associated "gun rights" zealotry is doing anything but putting a big question mark on whether your child comes home from school on any given day. Or whether your wife comes back home from Walmart.

It's long past time to wake-up, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 05:16 AM
 
19,841 posts, read 12,473,343 times
Reputation: 10978
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Ahhh.......another special soul whose gun is going to keep him exempt from government encroachment. Another alternate reality dweller whose gun is going to invalidate any laws or government authority he doesn't like. You know, like your special gun has done for the last 30 years as the fringe left has threaded its control into every last detail of the way we live and the way our children/grandchildren think.

You wanna know what misguided is? It's clinging to the delusion that in 2019 your gun and associated "gun rights" zealotry is doing anything but putting a big question mark on whether your child comes home from school on any given day. Or whether your wife comes back home from Walmart.

It's long past time to wake-up, people.


Don't you mean "woke"?


Dream on lib. As long as there is a Constitution, there will always be guns and Americans who own guns. It is a liberal fantasy to assume anything else.


IF there was a move to abolish the 2nd Amendment, it would lead to violence.


No one citizen gets to choose the rights that other citizens may or may not have. Libs are fascists at heart, that is why they are constantly frustrated and annoyed by the Constitution. That little document seems to always foil liberal plans for limiting the rights of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 05:33 AM
 
5,967 posts, read 1,615,992 times
Reputation: 3691
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
There, I said it.

In their defense, they had no idea what that amendment would result in some 200+ years later, no way to know the kind of advanced weaponry that would be invented and fall into hands they don't belong in, no way of knowing how Americans would misuse and abuse the amendment in ways they never intended.

But here we are.

It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
I guess you think you also think they made a mistake with the 1st Amendment? We are increasingly hearing Democrats call for limits on speech by banning speech they don't like and now we're even seeing members of Congress call for laws punishing people who criticize Congress.

Democrats, along with their propaganda arm known as the MSM, truly are the enemy of the people. Do you really think we're going to give up weapons, which protect us from your abuses by big government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 05:40 AM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
8,770 posts, read 6,253,238 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Don't you mean "woke"?


Dream on lib. As long as there is a Constitution, there will always be guns and Americans who own guns. It is a liberal fantasy to assume anything else.


IF there was a move to abolish the 2nd Amendment, it would lead to violence.


No one citizen gets to choose the rights that other citizens may or may not have. Libs are fascists at heart, that is why they are constantly frustrated and annoyed by the Constitution. That little document seems to always foil liberal plans for limiting the rights of others.
Fascinating.

hawkeye, you've been on ignore for 10 years. Don't waste your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 05:41 AM
 
13,191 posts, read 10,167,612 times
Reputation: 16707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
There, I said it.

In their defense, they had no idea what that amendment would result in some 200+ years later, no way to know the kind of advanced weaponry that would be invented and fall into hands they don't belong in, no way of knowing how Americans would misuse and abuse the amendment in ways they never intended.

But here we are.

It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
It is past time to consider it, in my opinion.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UFyNy-rw4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 05:43 AM
 
5,967 posts, read 1,615,992 times
Reputation: 3691
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Don't you mean "woke"?


Dream on lib. As long as there is a Constitution, there will always be guns and Americans who own guns. It is a liberal fantasy to assume anything else.


IF there was a move to abolish the 2nd Amendment, it would lead to violence.


No one citizen gets to choose the rights that other citizens may or may not have. Libs are fascists at heart, that is why they are constantly frustrated and annoyed by the Constitution. That little document seems to always foil liberal plans for limiting the rights of others.
You mean that piece of paper? Let's just rip it up and do what we want! s/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 07:03 AM
 
52,564 posts, read 42,252,195 times
Reputation: 32800
There is a clear mechanism to change the constitution. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Billings, MT
9,583 posts, read 7,973,836 times
Reputation: 13398
The "unorganized militia", per Title 10, USC...
Yes, it IS supposed to exist!
I wonder why the Federal Government Civilian Marksmanship Program that existed "back in the good ol' days" no longer seems to exist? If it does still exist, it is so underfunded that it is pretty much useless. I wonder which party killed it?
That program used to send military rifles to gun clubs, along with many rounds of ammunition, IF the club applied for them.
The club I was in as a teenager got, IIRC, 6 M1 Garands every summer, along with several hundred rounds of military ammunition in pre-loaded 8 round clips. Us kids fired every round on the outdoor range. We had to use it, or the next year we would get less. The rifles were sent back to the CMP with empty brass, no live ammunition!

AFAIK, not one of us in the 60+ years since then have killed anybody, except for Government sponsored mass shootings in foreign lands (wars or "police actions").
The CMP was part of the "regulation" of the unorganized militia. The government has failed in its duty to "regulate" the militia.
I wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top