Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,088,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Thank you, Pedro, for putting this in perspective. I assume you don't want that to happen, so you do want society to have the ability to deal with things that weren't an issue back when the FF wrote the Constitution, right? Because the world has changed drastically since 1779 and there are things they couldn't have even imagined back then, like weapons of mass killings and the Internet.

We need to continually update our laws to keep pace with the changing times. And the 2nd Amendment is one of those things.
The Second Amendment isn’t a “law”, it’s a Constitutional restriction on the activities of the federal government. If you don’t like it and want it to be different then the Constitution provides a way to accomplish that. So, what exactly is your real problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Again it gives localities the right to form local militias that is all that officially protects.

You are going to have to explain how you get to that from this:

Quote:
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Just so it's clear that is the entirety as written in 1790 and adopted from the similarity worded 1776 version. There is nothing before it and nothing after it.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:37 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
Quote:
There, I said it.

In their defense, they had no idea what that amendment would result in some 200+ years later, no way to know the kind of advanced weaponry that would be invented and fall into hands they don't belong in, no way of knowing how Americans would misuse and abuse the amendment in ways they never intended.

But here we are.

It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
Authoritarians like HeyJude514 would feel a whole lot better supporting the imposition of his ideology on the masses if the masses didn't have 300,000,000+ guns whose collective voice boom a resounding "F--k off!".

Old 08-04-2019, 10:38 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
I have a better idea. If you don’t like the Bill of Rights, leave the country and don’t come back.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:38 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
There, I said it.

In their defense, they had no idea what that amendment would result in some 200+ years later, no way to know the kind of advanced weaponry that would be invented and fall into hands they don't belong in, no way of knowing how Americans would misuse and abuse the amendment in ways they never intended.

But here we are.

It's time to consider amending the Constitution again.
Maybe, although it does start off, “A well regulated militia...” gun nuts conveniently always leave that out.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
In either case it being still somewhat ambiguous,

Just to add there is absolutely no ambiguity in the PA Constitution about the right to bear arms, it's about as short and precise as it could possibly be. How is this ambiguous?

Quote:

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

LOL, you have side job as contortionist?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
In some respects the SCOTUS interpretation of the second amendment seems self-contradictory. The United States v. Miller ruling says the government can't ban weapons that can be reasonably used in a militia, whereas District of Columbia v. Heller says the ownership of a firearm is protected irrespective of service in a militia. But at least they still hold that the second amendment right is not unlimited, and that gun ownership can be regulated.

I wonder what the SCOTUS would rule on states requiring gun owners to serve in a militia? I.e. if you purchase a gun that can be used in a militia, then some number of weekends per year must be spent under orders in a militia. I'll bet gun owners would howl.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Maybe, although it does start off, “A well regulated militia...” gun nuts conveniently always leave that out.
You missed "people" along with the understanding of the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights does not give protection to agents of the government but to individuals.

If you can't understand this very basic fact, you'll never understand the first 10.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Come and take it, and I'll have 10 more made tomorrow.
Ban metals.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:43 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I have a better idea. If you don’t like the Bill of Rights, leave the country and don’t come back.
Isn't that what Trump said to congresswomen that disagreed with him? Just because you don't agree with people doesn't mean you can just demand they leave. I don't like having crazy white supremacists in my neighborhood. But it doesn't mean I can just demand my neighbor leaves even if he belongs to the Aryan Brotherhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies