U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 07:11 AM

45,934 posts, read 37,057,889 times

Advertisements

True story.

I have a seriously mentally ill brother who has a violent criminal record, including several felonies. It is not legal for him to own or be in possession of a gun - ANY sort of gun. However, he has sympathetic (and crazy) friends and I am nearly positive that he has easy access to and probably possession of firearms. When he came to this area and stayed with one of his godawful, dysfunctional, bizarre friends for a few weeks, he began acting more and more strange. Finally, I took it upon myself to go to the sheriff's office, with all sorts of documentation on my brother, including his whereabouts, and told them that I really hate "snitching" on my brother but that I am worried about his mental state and his easy access to firearms. You know what they did? NOTHING. They did not even seem slightly interested in what I had to say. They did not write anything down. In fact, I didn't even get to meet with the sheriff or a deputy or anyone like that - after waiting around for about an hour, I finally got to talk with some administrative assistant who seemed incredibly bored with the whole thing.

OK, here I am, a person with no criminal record and no mental health issues, I've driven an hour to your office, I've got all sorts of documentation, and I'm telling you that a violent man with serious mental health problems is acting more and more strange, and is staying IN YOUR COUNTY with another person with a lengthy criminal record, and both of them are in possession of firearms. I'm telling you that I have personally spent thousands of dollars on a home security system because I'm so concerned, and my parents were so afraid of my brother that they moved to a gated community five hours away from him! And you're yawning and stretching and munching on Cheetos and you don't even ask to see my ID?

Wow, we really do have a problem in this country and I don't think it's friends and relatives and neighbors not saying anything. We have multiple reports by school mates and contemporaries of Connor Betts, who say that they went to authorities repeatedly BUT NOTHING SERIOUS WAS EVER ACCOMPLISHED BY THIS. "See something, say something" sounds good but the reality is that it often does no good at all.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:15 AM

21,804 posts, read 11,810,825 times
The kids who don’t have the grades for college should be required to do at least 2 years in the military.

I believe the “Greatest Generation” was so great because the entire generation served in the military and learned teamwork and discipline. Also, the military can identify these dangerous nuts like these shooters and deal with them. Add ten thousand psychiatrists to the services and put them to work examining the odd ducks the DI’s identify.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:18 AM

10,193 posts, read 5,640,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The kids who don’t have the grades for college should be required to do at least 2 years in the military.

I believe the “Greatest Generation” was so great because the entire generation served in the military and learned teamwork and discipline. Also, the military can identify these dangerous nuts like these shooters and deal with them. Add ten thousand psychiatrists to the services and put them to work examining the odd ducks the DI’s identify.

It's not the military purpose to solve society's problems.

Society, solve your own problems!

Old 08-05-2019, 07:20 AM

21,804 posts, read 11,810,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It's not the military purpose to solve society's problems.

Society, solve your own problems!
The military has been called to save us a few times. Time for some good old American know how for this problem. Guns are untouchable. The states will never repeal the 2nd amendment.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:25 AM

35,687 posts, read 19,605,420 times
Lightbulb So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

As individuals, there isn't much we can do, other than continue to act responsibly.

Personally, I gave up my NRA membership 11 years ago. Which is something I should have done earlier. That organization has changed, and not for the better.

I would encourage other NRA members to consider doing the same.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 AM

7,658 posts, read 8,848,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ahhh well that's completely different.

Apparently I'll be less dead if I'm shot by a gang member, drug dealer or a mobster then?

Tell me.......who made Stanford the sole arbiter of what constitutes a mass shooting?
Srsly?

You don't like the (Stanford center) research? They aren't the sole arbiter. They have funded a project to study this and made the data available. I suppose Interweb posters want a mosh pit of data not parsed or segmented for study or understanding. Make up your own like so many people do.

Or find the other studies. Mother Jones has done research, as has the FBI, as have some others.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 AM

67,458 posts, read 34,387,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Incorrect. A fully automatic weapon has never been used in a mass shooting in this country, to my knowledge. They cost tens of thousands of dollars and are essentially illegal for most people to own.
$75, turns your AR into an M
How many do you want?
https://www.bayougunrunner.com/FA-BG...-FA_p_771.html

Old 08-05-2019, 07:32 AM

10,193 posts, read 5,640,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The military has been called to save us a few times. Time for some good old American know how for this problem. Guns are untouchable. The states will never repeal the 2nd amendment.

And I've been there.

It's not the military's job to take care of the unsuitables, whether they got there by the judge telling them enlist or jail or by other means. The unsuitables, be they crooks, lost, not yet developed to be mature, or whatever, waste time, resources, and manpower.

It's not the military's job to fix people; it is to defend the nation.

I had one person, a thief, who I was concerned about letting them loose on the society by kicking them out of the Navy. An infantry general set me straight and told me society should have taken care of them first.

It's not the military's job to keep society safe from the people that they won't take care of themselves.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:33 AM

67,458 posts, read 34,387,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As individuals, there isn't much we can do, other than continue to act responsibly.

Personally, I gave up my NRA membership 11 years ago. Which is something I should have done earlier. That organization has changed, and not for the better.

I would encourage other NRA members to consider doing the same.

If someone wants you dead, their is little you can do about it, unless they announce it to the world.
It is called, "getting the drop"
What will solve this crap? Everyone armed, is a good deterrent.
A shooter never wants to hear, return fire.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:34 AM

35,941 posts, read 32,670,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I know the word has gone out signaling this week's narrative, for folks to use, from the gun lobby and the Republicans: stress mental health. ( this is rich since the current administration's policies have made obtaining mental health care far more difficult) I note that the other non-sensical point will be video games This is a transparent self serving message to take our eyes off the dramatic rise of White Nationalism in our country. Multiple other threads... check it out.

There is absolutely no doubt that since Columbine, there have been mass shootings where the mental health of the perpetrator was a primary issue. Health care is a human right, and access to mental health care is equally as important as physical health. The lack of mental health services for youth, for veterans, and for all represents a serious private and public health concern within the U.S.

Although important, the focus on mental health problems as a single cause for the mass shooting crisis in America deflects from serious discussions of the common denominator—guns. If we frame the issue as one of mental health or exposure to violence, we delay actions related to addressing the primary tool of these assaults—guns.

Re laws passed. To borrow your phrasing: have you been paying attention? Some have been repealed and others have myriad loopholes inserted throughout the years.

It is time for our political officials to put aside lobbied interests and focus on the evidence—mass shootings occur, and guns make these atrocities all too easy and frequent. Our politicians should not be rolling back gun restrictions but instead, look toward gun reforms now.

Such reforms should include a ban on assault weapons, ban on large-capacity magazines, universal background checks, stiffer licensing laws, red flag laws, and lifting of all Federal restrictions on gun violence research.

Peace!
Get busy changing the 2nd. Otherwise such unconstitutional things get fast tracked to SCOTUS and reversed. If you've been around a bit you would already know a AW "BAN" didn't do squat. I bought said firearms the entire time this ban was in place. So what's the point? To say you did something even if something was nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or