U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,949 posts, read 37,071,523 times
Reputation: 65248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As individuals, there isn't much we can do, other than continue to act responsibly.

Personally, I gave up my NRA membership 11 years ago. Which is something I should have done earlier. That organization has changed, and not for the better.

I would encourage other NRA members to consider doing the same.
Amen to this.

I used to be in favor generally of the NRA but no longer. Besides the fact that they've changed (and not for the better), THEY CALL ME EVERY SINGLE DAY FROM ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT NUMBERS wanting me to give them some money. I am sick of it and sick of their political influence!

 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:37 AM
 
21,804 posts, read 11,813,763 times
Reputation: 12438
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And I've been there.



It's not the military's job to take care of the unsuitables, whether they got there by the judge telling them enlist or jail or by other means. The unsuitables, be they crooks, lost, not yet developed to be mature, or whatever, waste time, resources, and manpower.


It's not the military's job to fix people; it is to defend the nation.


I had one person, a thief, who I was concerned about letting them loose on the society by kicking them out of the Navy. An infantry general set me straight and told me society should have taken care of them first.


It's not the military's job to keep society safe from the people that they won't take care of themselves.
How about a wing of the military for this draft and then the regular military of volunteers like we have now? Essentially you would never see these draftees unless we had a major war. They would do PT twice a day and then some kind of vocational education but always strict, military discipline.
 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:38 AM
 
2,710 posts, read 911,040 times
Reputation: 1898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As individuals, there isn't much we can do, other than continue to act responsibly.

Personally, I gave up my NRA membership 11 years ago. Which is something I should have done earlier. That organization has changed, and not for the better.

I would encourage other NRA members to consider doing the same.
Well, you took the first step. The NRA is a major roadblock to logical action in this country. 90% of Americans are in favor of universal background checks, yet we don't have it because of NRA money.

I don't buy the line that "there's nothing we can do". Nor the line that if everyone was carrying a handgun we'd be safer. If responsible, licensed individuals want to carry in public, go ahead. But the kid in Dayton killed 9 and wounded 27 in 30 SECONDS. There is no way that kind of weaponry should be so easily available to the general public.
 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
10,199 posts, read 5,644,010 times
Reputation: 8570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to this.

I used to be in favor generally of the NRA but no longer. Besides the fact that they've changed (and not for the better), THEY CALL ME EVERY SINGLE DAY FROM ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT NUMBERS wanting me to give them some money. I am sick of it and sick of their political influence!

Curious for while I think all groups do that, they're one of the ones that haven't to me.


I get a kick out of the ACLU. I started by giving them $50 instead of the standard $35, then a few months ago, I upped it to $100, essentially 3X the standard....and they still come back asking for more money. What gall!



If not one group, then another.
 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,949 posts, read 37,071,523 times
Reputation: 65248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Curious for while I think all groups do that, they're one of the ones that haven't to me.


I get a kick out of the ACLU. I started by giving them $50 instead of the standard $35, then a few months ago, I upped it to $100, essentially 3X the standard....and they still come back asking for more money. What gall!



If not one group, then another.
Just wait - the NRA will call you eventually! I mean, the ACLU doesn't call me - yet. But I'm pretty sure they will one day.

That's a whole other topic though. Don't get me started on telemarketers!!!!!!!!

I made the mistake of making a one time donation to the Wounded Warriors organization in memory of a veteran who had passed away. OMG. I promise you they've spent more money trying to get me to sent MORE money than my initial donation was! I will never give to them again.
 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 AM
 
7,110 posts, read 3,941,625 times
Reputation: 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
Start with acknowledging there's a problem. People killing each other for cause (drug deals gone bad, domestic violence, etc.) is one thing, and bad enough. But mass killings of innocent people for a "cause" is terrorism....and that's something else.

First, get the weapons that are made ONLY for the purpose of killing as many people as possible in as short a period of time as possible off the streets, by law. That would enable law enforcement to confiscate them, when they run across them.

We have had more people killed by white male radicals with guns than died in the 9/11 terrorist attack.

Then, acknowledge that we have a President who has stoked and encouraged ideology that leads to hatred of "the others," through his chosen language that is based in that ideology. Dehumanizing "the others" ("infest," "invade," "murderers and rapists", putting children in cages leading to deaths). Stating "I am a Nationalist" to a roaring crowd. Encouraging violence, or you are not a good loyalist. Stating that he could shoot someone in the street, and his supporters would still support him. Praising murderous dictators like Putin, Kim Jon Un, and the Saudi Arabian King. Things like that. Unprecedented behavior that is shockingly supported by some.
 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 AM
 
2,548 posts, read 691,283 times
Reputation: 2638
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What will solve this crap? Everyone armed, is a good deterrent.
A shooter never wants to hear, return fire.
Armed police were on the scene in under a minute...by some reports within 30 seconds. “Think about that minute,” said Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley. “The shooter was able to kill nine people and injure 26 in less than a minute.”

The gun-permissiveness crowd wants us not to think about that minute. It puts the lie to the gun lobby’s claim that having armed people nearby when a mass killer strikes is all we need to keep us safe.

 
Old 08-05-2019, 08:00 AM
 
5,831 posts, read 1,470,815 times
Reputation: 4526
I wish someone would do something about all the shootings in Chicago. There were 'mass shootings' defined as 4 our more killed in once incident in Chicago this weekend. Why isn't the media down there on the south side of Chicago for days on end?

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/08...ass-shootings/
 
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 AM
 
10,250 posts, read 4,777,431 times
Reputation: 5659
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post

Such reforms should include a ban on assault weapons, ban on large-capacity magazines, universal background checks, stiffer licensing laws, red flag laws, and lifting of all Federal restrictions on gun violence research.

Peace!
Assault weapons have been banned since 1934....the shooting done with rifles were semi-auto hunting rifles which have been around for at least 60 years
It takes 1/2 second to change magazines...so banning "large" capacity would make zero difference
We already have universal background checks, they were pushed through by the NRA...over 80,000 people have violated that law. a felony, the government has prosecuted less than 1 percent
red flags laws have already been horribly abused
The last violence research done by the CDC under Obama showed that there were over a million defensive gun uses yearly.. it showed that a person legally carrying a gun was less likely to break the law than a cop...it was not anti-gun so it was not widely released.


Much of this was posted before and you decided to ignore it.
 
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Status: "Keep your chin up." (set 8 hours ago)
 
8,993 posts, read 11,009,036 times
Reputation: 13073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Start with acknowledging there's a problem. People killing each other for cause (drug deals gone bad, domestic violence, etc.) is one thing, and bad enough. But mass killings of innocent people for a "cause" is terrorism....and that's something else.

First, get the weapons that are made ONLY for the purpose of killing as many people as possible in as short a period of time as possible off the streets, by law. That would enable law enforcement to confiscate them, when they run across them.

We have had more people killed by white male radicals with guns than died in the 9/11 terrorist attack.

Then, acknowledge that we have a President who has stoked and encouraged ideology that leads to hatred of "the others," through his chosen language that is based in that ideology. Dehumanizing "the others" ("infest," "invade," "murderers and rapists", putting children in cages leading to deaths). Stating "I am a Nationalist" to a roaring crowd. Encouraging violence, or you are not a good loyalist. Stating that he could shoot someone in the street, and his supporters would still support him. Praising murderous dictators like Putin, Kim Jon Un, and the Saudi Arabian King. Things like that. Unprecedented behavior that is shockingly supported by some.
Well, at one rally, he said something like "What do we do" referring to illegals and the woman yelled out "Shoot them." He just giggled and said something like "They only can do that in the panhandle." It's this type of BS that comes out of his mouth that should be stopped. He's the President. He's given a megaphone to be the jerk he's always been. Why would anyone, let alone the President laugh at something this nasty?

I know there are things that can be done, but the courage and backbone to do them must start w/ Congress. It's turning into an epidemic. Children are afraid to go to school, people to go to a movie, to shop, to go anywhere there are a lot of people. It's plain wrong. Make America Great Again might start w/ us feeling safe to go out and do our normal routines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top