U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 AM

1,033 posts, read 1,160,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Although important, the focus on mental health problems as a single cause for the mass shooting crisis in America deflects from serious discussions of the common denominator—guns. If we frame the issue as one of mental health or exposure to violence, we delay actions related to addressing the primary tool of these assaults—guns.

There will always be a "tool", one can revert to a garbage truck or pressure cooker, as we have obviously seen. Much of our violence could be avoided by simply being a lot tougher on criminals. For example, the last 3 murders in my home town were ALL by people with pages of rap sheet that in my opinion shouldn't have been out in public to begin with. Victims were stabbed or strangled, not shot. In the same time frame, we've had three issues where a home owner defended their family with their gun and the perp went out in a body bag.

As far as those that have no history of crime or mental issues that just snap and go on a killing spree as a religious extremist, racist, or just random violence, how do you predict or control that? You can't.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 AM

10,193 posts, read 5,640,736 times
How far do we go to see who is crazy, how much?

I shoot, practice only on the silhouette. A and B. A: Someone who doesn't know me might think me "odd" for only shooting the paper man. I hope me always logging my shots in a notebook would cause other thoughts.

B: As a responsible gun owner, should I only be shooting the paper man? I mean, what kind of image am I giving the rest "of the world"? Of course, my view point is that if I ever HAVE to shoot, I need to be perfect. So I train as I might fight.

It also gets down to a third point in that my shooting probably can't be called a hobby but something more like a precision. If I have to shoot, I have to be perfect, so I put great amounts of resources into that in order to be that.

Is that a madness? Not to me for I see it as a discipline, so focused to take pride in my prowess.

Those on the outside, however, might disagree and hence, we might want to take such appraisals in mind.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:35 AM

2,540 posts, read 690,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
All off of the FBI and CDC websites. You don't want proof. You just want to argue.
Most of the mass shootings that the media posts could have been prevented if the government did its job.
I am suggesting more civic/legislative/government action... Talk about argumentative...geesh.

Peace!

Old 08-05-2019, 11:39 AM

7,702 posts, read 3,163,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
You can still be a responsible gun owner while supporting legislation that will restrict weapons of mass murder to the mentally ill and evil doers in this country.
Those laws have been in place for years. We don't enforce laws; they just pass more laws. It makes them feel better.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:11 PM

27,741 posts, read 16,061,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Due process of law, part of the Constitution. If the government wants to remove someone's rights, they take them to a court. Period.
So they have rights, great. What about MY rights? What about YOUR rights? You and I have inalienable rights to LIFE and LIBERTY and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. This clown who is a KNOWN issue to the community due to suspensions and run ins with authority that SHOULDN'T have guns has them and infringes on my rights? That's some bullcrap right there. You mean murders have more rights than us. Their rights infringe on mine.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:17 PM

6,677 posts, read 3,693,243 times
Maybe you responsible gun owners should demand OPEN CARRY throughout the US so these mass shooters will see you walking around Walmart, Clubs, Concerts and will be terrified you will shoot them?

Old 08-05-2019, 12:49 PM

705 posts, read 194,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe you responsible gun owners should demand OPEN CARRY throughout the US so these mass shooters will see you walking around Walmart, Clubs, Concerts and will be terrified you will shoot them?
Then we would be going back to the Wild West where if you looked at someone funny or moved you hands funny, you'd get shot.

Draw Partner!

Old 08-05-2019, 12:56 PM

20,532 posts, read 11,447,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Promote more states to allow legal carry for the law abiding. Encourage the law abiding to get their carry permits and carry a firearm. Get rid of gun free zones like the CA garlic festival and retail stores that ban guns. These shooting are RARE and overall very few people die each year from them. More people die by far from inner city black on black violence, but it seems black lives don't matter after all, because nobody tries to stop that.
Well, the El Paso Walmart was not a gun-free zone. In fact, for those who open carry in Texas, the "Walmart Walk" is the initial rite of passage--it's the place a gun owner can open carry without being hassled.

But the fact is that even in Texas, only 2% of residents have carry licenses and according to surveys, less than half those with licenses actually carry.

Moreover--and the incident in the El Paso demonstrates it--carrying does not mean a person intends to be the Lone Ranger. One of the persons in the store who was armed at the time was more concerned with evacuating the children--as he should have been.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:59 PM

67,458 posts, read 34,397,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Armed police were on the scene in under a minute...by some reports within 30 seconds. “Think about that minute,” said Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley. “The shooter was able to kill nine people and injure 26 in less than a minute.”

The gun-permissiveness crowd wants us not to think about that minute. It puts the lie to the gun lobby’s claim that having armed people nearby when a mass killer strikes is all we need to keep us safe.

When seconds count. Your masters and saviors were a minute away.
I have heard of bootlickers, but this takes it to a new level.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:02 PM

67,458 posts, read 34,397,232 times
You are 200x's more likely to be shot by a cop, than by a domestic terrorist. Does that make cops, domestic terrorists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or