U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 09:28 PM

20,571 posts, read 11,471,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
If Iím not the guy with the gun, Iím not necessarily someone who needs to get terminated.
Having had been in the position of looking down the barrel of a gun more than once, none of those times did the guy with the gun agree that the mere fact of my being disarmed would dissuade him from killing me.

Do you really think that works with a criminal?

Old 08-05-2019, 11:39 PM

6,209 posts, read 3,535,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obey the laws and don't commit crimes.

You cannot control the behavior of crazy people.

No but you can at least make a fight for laws to prevent us from legally selling to said "crazy people."

Old 08-05-2019, 11:46 PM

6,209 posts, read 3,535,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Thatís the $100,000 question. I wonder this myself.

Young men arenít the same now as they were when I was a teen in the 80ís. Itís downright weird to see so many late teens and early 20ís men who are unemployed, live at home, and spend all day gaming. I have a couple girlfriends with teenaged sons and itís odd how common these kids are: they donít drive or own cars, or even hold part time jobs. School seems to be almost too much for them. When I was a sophomore in high school back in Ď85, you NEVER met a 16 year-old who didnít have a car and a part-time job. Teens seemed so much more mature back then.

I submit that weíve smothered our kids to death. They arenít maturing and taking on responsibility as they once did. When you go to school and hold a part-time job you have a LOT less time to sit around on your butt playing shooter games and being depressed over the same teen angst humans have suffered from forever.

I was born in 1994, so I was a teen in the late 2000s and early 2010s and I agree with ya on the fact that teenagers are becoming less and less mature. My generation wasn't even as bad as the current one in this regard. There's a post millennial shift that's pretty damn noticeable. It seems to be getting worse and worse with each few years. Thankfully there's still some people that buck the trend, because they were raised right.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:48 PM

780 posts, read 667,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Having had been in the position of looking down the barrel of a gun more than once, none of those times did the guy with the gun agree that the mere fact of my being disarmed would dissuade him from killing me.

Do you really think that works with a criminal?
I donít know, but Iím unwilling to be an experiment on whether the threat factor is enough to avoid harm. Iím not that wedded to my money. A guy who is suddenly exposed to a lethal threat but survives is not someone Iíd like to face. I donít want to rely on lethal threat. I want to rely on a true lethal ability.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:37 AM

703 posts, read 503,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Iím a 49 year-old woman, with four millennial daughters - all graduated from college. I reject most of what you say here; you sound exactly like the snively type I wrote of and well, I sure seem to have struck a chord with you. So much victimhood in your post.
You didn't really strike a nerve as much as just acted very condescending and annoyed, not to mention are ranting off topic. This thread is about gun violence and you're blaming millennials for being lazy and video games? Our Boomer parents actually play more video games than us. They certainly use a lot more Facebook. The NRA and massive family breakdown are far more involved in this than you admit. Possibly the decline in religion too.

Sounds like you're 4 millennial daughters have grown up to be complete losers (like their mom) and you're deducing from them and their friends. As for me I won the family lottery and and have been assisted with moving to an ultra high COL area and was given free rent for a bit. Now I own property here and have my pick of tier I technical positions all of which pay very well. Most of my friends weren't so lucky though. Hell I have a friend making 50k a year with an ivy league STEM PhD and the guy is damn smart and driven.

Either way good luck, and try to stay on topic next time.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:56 AM

34,872 posts, read 42,090,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
Well as a responsible gun owner your need to have a second amendment comes with the reality that nutjobs with evil intent also have that 2nd ammendment right.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:27 AM

19,697 posts, read 17,730,568 times
What do responsible car owners do when other drivers break laws or drive recklessly? What do people who use prescription medicine legally do when others abuse them or use drugs illegally? What do people do who drink responsibly do when others drive drunk or get in altercations while drunk?
What do honest shoppers do when others shoplift?

Old 08-06-2019, 04:30 AM

705 posts, read 196,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
See something, say something is a valuable idea, provided itís not enforced as in North Korea. We all have a gut instinct that something isnít right. Iíll agree that trusting the police is a bit spotty, but theyíre what we got, and if you see something thatís really off, you have to tell someone.

'See something, say something' can quickly turn into denunciation, where the accused is guilty before due process.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:23 AM

38,174 posts, read 16,508,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
" So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

So what do we as responsible car owners do about the Vehicle Deaths Estimated at 40,000 for Third Straight Year?

Why don't we hear about this EVERY TIME someone dies via a vehicle?

I always ask, do you care about ALL deaths or just gun deaths?

7 killed in Chicago just last weekend, 52 wounded, 1,600 people this year, Baltimore hits 200th homicide on "cease fire" week end.

Why DON'T we hear about these EVERY WEEK in the news.

So back to your question, " So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

My answer is a question to you, where do you live? If you live in 1 of the high gun violence areas VOTE THE BUMS OUT who are NOT doing anything about it.

I live in NC, there is NOTHING I can do about a gun crime in ANY OTHER STATE.

You asked the question, WHAT is YOUR answer to it?

Last edited by Quick Enough; 08-06-2019 at 05:34 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 05:27 AM

31,084 posts, read 15,931,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

So what do we as responsible car owners do about the Vehicle Deaths Estimated at 40,000 for Third Straight Year?

Why don't we hear about this EVERY TIME someone dies via a vehicle?

I always ask, do you care about ALL deaths or just gun deaths?
We could drastically reduce vehicle deaths by regulating cars to a maximum of 30 mph and save more lives than if there wasn't a single gun in the US, but the anti-gun car hoarders feel getting to the mall 10 minutes faster is more important.

They want to regulate based on convenience. Destroying a right given to us by the founders has nothing to do with saving lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or