U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:36 AM
 
38,094 posts, read 16,479,595 times
Reputation: 8653

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
In all seriousness, get involved w/ your community.


The absence of responsible gun ownership in the public conversation really has created a schism.


Unfortunately, the main spokesbody is the NRA which doesn't have a glistening reputation.


I, an Economics grad democrat who votes Green party because the major parties have really just completely lost my intellectual interest, will probably purchase a gun and join the responsible gun owners club and note the significant lack of presence and receptiveness of new members.


As far as what you can do about mass shootings directly, I don't know. There's not much you really can do aside from identify organizations working to resolve the tipping points of them (mental health, religious and racial division, economic stress, misinformation) and provide volunteering, financial or community support for them.
"Unfortunately, the main spokesbody is the NRA which doesn't have a glistening reputation"


You are entitled to your OWN opinion but, NOT your OWN FACTS.

 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:40 AM
 
20,538 posts, read 11,453,072 times
Reputation: 20754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I donít know, but Iím unwilling to be an experiment on whether the threat factor is enough to avoid harm. Iím not that wedded to my money. A guy who is suddenly exposed to a lethal threat but survives is not someone Iíd like to face. I donít want to rely on lethal threat. I want to rely on a true lethal ability.
I gave the guy my wallet quickly and he decided he wanted to shoot me anyway.
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:41 AM
 
38,094 posts, read 16,479,595 times
Reputation: 8653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
You can still be a responsible gun owner while supporting legislation that will restrict weapons of mass murder to the mentally ill and evil doers in this country.
"legislation that will restrict weapons of mass murder to the mentally ill and evil doers in this country"


There are those types of laws ALREADY. Next?
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:45 AM
 
38,094 posts, read 16,479,595 times
Reputation: 8653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Promote more states to allow legal carry for the law abiding. Encourage the law abiding to get their carry permits and carry a firearm. Get rid of gun free zones like the CA garlic festival and retail stores that ban guns. These shooting are RARE and overall very few people die each year from them. More people die by far from inner city black on black violence, but it seems black lives don't matter after all, because nobody tries to stop that.
"Promote more states to allow legal carry for the law abiding. Encourage the law abiding to get their carry permits and carry a firearm."

Permits violate the 2nd amendment. You do NOT needs PERMIT to exercise a RIGHT! "To KEEP and BEAR ARMS shall NOT be INFRINGED"

When we allow our RIGHTS to be controlled, we start done a BAD path.
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:47 AM
 
Location: SE UK
8,078 posts, read 6,798,093 times
Reputation: 5520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The whole idea of a "good guy with a gun" or arming teachers is insanity. So is mass shootings of children or shoppers or people we don't like. We have way too many guns in circulation and a high percentage have just disappeared. We have to get them out of the hands of predators and mentally ill people. I'm not against responsible gun ownership. I have one but the national average among gun owners is eight. That means some owners have dozens or more. A total assault weapon ban, background checks on all gun transfers, cutting the number of guns in circulation by half with serious buy-back efforts, and requiring annual registration (like an automobile) so that guns don't just disappear would be policies that I would support. There would still be lawful gun ownership and still a lot of guns out there but fewer and hopefully the bulk would be for sport. We would at least begin to get a handle on the problem. I would favor repeal of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that prohibits lawsuits against manufacturers and dealers.
Good lord - that is a very sensible post! Far too sensible for this forum.
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:52 AM
 
38,094 posts, read 16,479,595 times
Reputation: 8653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
That’s the $100,000 question. I wonder this myself.

Young men aren’t the same now as they were when I was a teen in the 80’s. It’s downright weird to see so many late teens and early 20’s men who are unemployed, live at home, and spend all day gaming. I have a couple girlfriends with teenaged sons and it’s odd how common these kids are: they don’t drive or own cars, or even hold part time jobs. School seems to be almost too much for them. When I was a sophomore in high school back in ‘85, you NEVER met a 16 year-old who didn’t have a car and a part-time job. Teens seemed so much more mature back then.

I submit that we’ve smothered our kids to death. They aren’t maturing and taking on responsibility as they once did. When you go to school and hold a part-time job you have a LOT less time to sit around on your butt playing shooter games and being depressed over the same teen angst humans have suffered from forever.
"I submit that we’ve smothered our kids to death. They aren’t maturing and taking on responsibility as they once" AND allowing our schools to give out Ritalin like candy because female, and wimpy men, teachers can't handle boys with have higher "excitement" levels.

We have seen many of these shooter WERE on Ritalin during their school year then when out of school can't handle reality.
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:59 AM
 
38,094 posts, read 16,479,595 times
Reputation: 8653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Not a gun-owner, but we are in need of changing some of many laws on both the state- and federal-levels. Now how we make it so that those laws are not too vague or too specific is a valid concern.
" but we are in need of changing some of many laws on both the state- and federal-levels."

What gun laws NOW in existence have worked? There are 10,000 to 20,000 gun laws. NONE WORK.

"When you do the sane thing over and over, do NOT expect a different outcome"
 
Old 08-06-2019, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
10,195 posts, read 5,644,010 times
Reputation: 8549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That is exactly what I want to see in CCW training. The reason I don’t carry is precisely because without a background in combat, I don’t trust myself to be calm, smart, and skilled enough to use a firearm in a way which doesn’t unnecessarily raise the stakes.
As it is, I do have a background in close quarters combat and if anyone gets in that close to demand my money or to rape me or to take me out, I'm delivering lightning strikes (been trained, conditioned to do that, too!) on the first two "words" "they say" that present a threat to me. After all, if they get that close, they have already been issued the verbal warn offs.

A and B. A:Like Ted Bundy allegedly said, "Now, there's just one thing. I've broken into your house, terrorized you in your bed. Why should you believe anything I say?". If they get that close, why should I believe that they only want my money.

And on a different note.....

B: Another thing about what we can do is to be the best we can be as we can be in this world. I had something of a conscience realization this morning with "If you can accept what you are is for you and you alone, that it is not for anyone else to intimately experience, then that is okay, acceptable.".

Don't give into decadence. This world highly encourages people to do so. It causes us to thirst, to desire such, (and unlike Greek plays, they don't show us the price), but don't give in. There are so many things we can be in this world that is acceptable.....and then there is that which is not. When the not becomes public, then being a responsible gun owner can pale.

As a lesser example but a bit more clear, I often hear with gun owning that they are a law abiding citizen. I also often hear, however, though not necessarily from the same mouth, that they will ignore 30.06 signs because "concealed means concealed!".

Well, how can one claim they are a law abiding citizen when they decide which laws they will obey and those that they won't?

Myself, I obey. I obey because it is the law. I obey because I have no wish to have a felony trespassing charge issued against me. I obey because it is in my protocols and often I am under the sponsorship of a host and I do not want to bring dishonor upon them.

Be what you are, what you claim yourself to be.
 
Old 08-06-2019, 06:18 AM
 
20,538 posts, read 11,453,072 times
Reputation: 20754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I submit that weíve smothered our kids to death. They arenít maturing and taking on responsibility as they once" AND allowing our schools to give out Ritalin like candy because female, and wimpy men, teachers can't handle boys with have higher "excitement" levels.

We have seen many of these shooter WERE on Ritalin during their school year then when out of school can't handle reality.
I learned how to handle a bunch of pre-teen boys when I was a Cub Scout leader. I worked against their pre-planned sessions for a while until I realized their inherent wisdom:

Give them a physical activity for ten minutes, then a quiet activity for ten minutes, then another physical activity for ten minutes...repeat until the hour is over. They will be eager to come back again.

If you don't let them have a physical activity at all, they get restless and rambunctious. But if you let them be physical for too long, they'll run wild.

As they get older, the need for so many periods of physical activity will decrease--but it doesn't completely go away.
 
Old 08-06-2019, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Boston
8,449 posts, read 2,475,761 times
Reputation: 5996
none of these mass killers care about the laws. Why create more of something nobody follows anyway? Most of you would be great ineffective lawmakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top