Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 09:49 AM

28,622 posts, read 18,673,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I coached boys form 6 to 16 for YEARS.
You realize I was not disagreeing with you, but providing a point to back up your post.

You did realize that, right?

Old 08-06-2019, 09:56 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,753,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Do you really think the anti 2ed amend. folks will be happy and go away if the NRA went away Im not a big NRA guy but firearm owners don't have any other national clout . The Antis will smell blood in the water with the end of nra .
No of course not. The NRA is not the second amendment. It's a feckless, perverted gun lobbyist bent on buying politicians for the sake of profit. It's full of corruption and way too powerful. Common sense reform will never be in the picture as long as big money is pulling the puppet strings.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:59 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,537,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
No of course not. The NRA is not the second amendment. It's a feckless, perverted gun lobbyist bent on buying politicians for the sake of profit. It's full of corruption and way too powerful. Common sense reform will never be in the picture as long as big money is pulling the puppet strings.
You can't legislate good behavior, you can only punish bad behaviour.

If someone is not concerned about being punished for murdering people, they won't be conerned about being punished for buying a gun illegally.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:00 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,560,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Explain that please? I also have a bit of suspicion towards that, but I think it’s a net benefit to have some situational awareness and be able to report to LEOs, even if I’m not 100% trusting of them. They’re still better equipped than I am to deal.
Having had multiple experiences with "See something, say something" (I have a seriously mentally ill brother who was eventually arrested and involuntarily committed), I am just saying that in several jurisdictions I have "seen something and said something" along with many other people, and LE has either told us why they can't or won't do anything, or they just HAVEN'T done anything. Of course, when he was finally arrested, it was quite the show, and cost God only knows how much in tax dollars, not to mention that it was simply LUCK that no one was killed. So while I do always "say something," I don't have much confidence in anything really being done about it before a crime is actually committed.

But my conscience is clear. Meanwhile, I had to get a license to carry, buy a gun, invest in classes and a shooting range membership, come to terms with possibly having to shoot someone, maybe even my own brother, and invest in an expensive home security system as well.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,560,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
'See something, say something' can quickly turn into denunciation, where the accused is guilty before due process.

It can also turn into a big fat nothing. "Well, we can't really DO anything till they break a law!" OMG how many times have I heard that!

Old 08-06-2019, 10:17 AM

19,707 posts, read 10,051,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
The money they spend to lobby is one of the smallest. The health care companies give obscene amounts to congress.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:23 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,574,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Thank you.

As I don't know the scenario, I have to assume that the person is still a threat to me and if I don't take him out, he will take me out. So what do I use to do so?

A thing or two or more. First, it does remind me of the deadly force training videos I went as military police. In one of them, you and your partner are responding to a complaint of a mentally ill person. Upon encountering, you find the person is 6ft tall, probably over 350lbs, and eats tin cans for fun. He head butts your partner, knocks him out, and what do you do? In the aftermath narrative, there is the question about whether you can legally shoot him or not for how much are you in danger but on the other hand, your partner is trapped in there and he now has access to your partner's gun. There is also the question about what's your HtH capability against such a person.

Take such a man on head on? Not a chance but then again, I was rated as unhonorable for outturning and attacking from behind. Another stand point of the issue is that I was taught to use chokes which are probably illegal these days.

A thing or two. As it is, if I have to respond to any situation, it will probably be hand to hand (or unarmed at least) first. It's "right there", it is how I've lived since 10, and it has been ingrained in me to the point of instinct. The basic catch of the matter is, long story short, I'm deadly if only legally (with my background, I don't doubt a counsel against me to paint me like a prize fighter, reality or not). I don't fight unless I have to and if I have to, I'm putting him in the hospital.....and it is up to the Fates whether it is the ER or the morgue. It's not hit and see what to do next, but hit (or choke) to put him on the ground and get out of there.

Finally, hand to hand, it seems to be the thing that catches people off guard. I was in a lecture where we were talking about the procedure when a cop shoots and kills someone. I raised my hand and asked what if it was hand to hand. My fellow classmates stare to look at me but the prof responded, "Same thing.".

In our situation, which I reviewed and looked at after your question, there is the ability to outflank and engage the shooter target from behind. Using the "cover" of the simulated crowd. As I said, I would give a pass for that as a course instructor. And it's something I plan to bring up with my fellow instructors.

Though I initially found your question humorous (which it was btw) I also see the serious side. Having followed your posts for quite a while leave it to you to drop a bomb like that. LOL. We will be discussing this I assure you. I have been in a defensive shooting where I did have to fire my weapon. One assailant had a gun which he was raising and his partner had a knife.

I had a clear shot and took out the guy with the gun. The other ran off and was later taken into custody when the girl he was trying to hide with dimed him. She wanted nothing to do with any of it. The cops wrote it up a clear cut SD but the DA got stupid. Because my weapon (a SW mod 66) had mods and I was a rural White guy in the city. I had to have been looking for trouble.

This is something that we who carry for defensive purposes need to think about. Be prepared for a legal assault. The aftermath is worse than the actual incident. I see and agree with your assessments and thought process and you are very highly trained. Something I quite admire and respect. I have far less formal training than you, but the training I do have and am currently engaged in, though more informal, is quite rigorous.

I have worked with some good people, but you have worked with more. Thus I respect your opinions and observations. You have provided valuable material for me to take to the table at our instructor meetings. Thus I plan to submit that we include more HtH and LTL weapons material in our advanced course curriculum. You have certainly jump started my brain and that's a good thing. The more we can squeeze into our training the better. I would be proud to relinquish my slot to you for the duration of a class and go through as a student.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:23 AM

4,337 posts, read 1,542,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
As long as the left is willfully flooding America with Illegal Aliens and proposing that they be given, overnight, the same benefits that citizens had to work a lifetime to earn, I suspect these sorts of events will continue.

As long as the left demonizes whites, I suspect these sorts of events will continue.

As long as the left works ferverishly to divide America while projecting their actions on the President, I suspect these sorts of events will continue.

As long as the left continues to promote abdication of responsibiity, I suspect these sorts of events will continue.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,784,920 times
Promote the licensing of weapons like we do cars/trucks with levels of licensing standards.

My family are gun owners. I support licenses for all gun owners similar to having to obtain education and a license to drive a vehicle.

There should be levels of licensing depending on the type of weapons one intends to purchase. Some weapons should definitely be more difficult to obtain than others, especially the types that are typically used in mass shooting events.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,784,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
As long as the left is willfully flooding America with Illegal Aliens and proposing that they be given, overnight, the same benefits that citizens had to work a lifetime to earn, I suspect these sorts of events will continue.

As long as the left demonizes whites, I suspect these sorts of events will continue.

As long as the left works ferverishly to divide America while projecting their actions on the President, I suspect these sorts of events will continue.

As long as the left continues to promote abdication of responsibiity, I suspect these sorts of events will continue.
Do you feel the same things occurred with Bill Clinton, GW Bush, and Obama were president.... Or are you just too focused on being a victim of "the left" to realize that this is a problem that is decades old in America and it not based upon politicians themselves, but the ability for maniacal persons to be able to willy nilly obtain weapons that can murder a significant amount of people within a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies