U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 PM

47,156 posts, read 34,610,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verifiedcheckmark View Post
I'm not a gun owner, but someday I hope to be one by moving out of New York City. What happened here is that we as a society need to do a better job with managing mental health. We have a mental health crisis here in America, especially in white America in which the government has ignored in the past 30 years such as the opioid crisis. We also have 50 years of feminism which alienated men out of the work and sexual market place. All of this that I mentioned is resulting in a power keg causing mainly white males and others to explode in rage. This stuff is not funny either. Removing guns, or eliminating the 2nd Amendment mainly proposed by the modern day Social Justice left wont solve mass shootings and active shooting scenarios. Persons can easily use knives, chemicals or bombs,vehicles to inflect harm on multiple levels. We as a society need to fix mental health, and those democrat candidates nor Trump are talking about mental health.
^ comes off as blame throwing.

Crept that people in the US are not using knives, chemicals, bombs or vehicles to inflict harm on masses of people within seconds- minutes.

States began closing state institutions in the 50’s because they had become political embarrassments and a drain on funding. This is no different than what occurred throughout the developed world. How exactly do you expect society to fix that?

Feminism is a global thing. Sensational mass shootings are primarily a US thing.

2/3 of Congress is not going to agree to abolish the 2nd.

I respect those who are honest - that they are unwilling to give up their assault type weapons and unlimited ammunition to make sensational mass shootings a part of history, more so than blame throwing.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:21 PM

5,848 posts, read 4,840,947 times
What do responsible pool owners do about all of the drownings?
What do responsible drivers do about all of the distracted driving deaths?
What do responsible knife owners do about all of the stabbings?
What do responsible fist owners do about all of the beating deaths?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:54 PM

19,679 posts, read 17,712,424 times
And looking to the government to fix the problem is insanity at its finest.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:35 PM

4,504 posts, read 1,158,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Crept that people in the US are not using knives, chemicals, bombs or vehicles to inflict harm on masses of people within seconds- minutes.

States began closing state institutions in the 50’s because they had become political embarrassments and a drain on funding. This is no different than what occurred throughout the developed world. How exactly do you expect society to fix that?

Feminism is a global thing. Sensational mass shootings are primarily a US thing.

2/3 of Congress is not going to agree to abolish the 2nd.

I respect those who are honest - that they are unwilling to give up their assault type weapons and unlimited ammunition to make sensational mass shootings a part of history, more so than blame throwing.
If you still haven't figured out that "assault weapons" aren't really the problem like Fake News keeps feeding you (most shootings with multiple deaths occur with handguns - Cho, for example used two handguns to murder 33), your point of view needs revising.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:57 PM

56 posts, read 10,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What do we people who don't sexually assault children do about those who sexually assault children? Do we ban children?
I'm not sure what your argument is. Are you equating children to guns, or are you suggesting that people should take the law into their own hands and use their guns on those accused of sexually assaulting kids.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:41 AM

413 posts, read 70,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I guess you should examine which monolithic culture is responsible for the mass shootings. It isn't the Muslims, it's the fringe mentality that embraces hate instead of the fact that immigrants are here to stay. Research minorities in Switzerland and you will discover that there are roughly 2 million minorities from France, Italy, Germany and Rhaeto-Romansh. I'm sure those differences are cause for resentment in some, yet, no hate speeches and no mass shootings.
I wouldn't call those minorities in Switzerland (CH), they are neighboring countries. Romansh, German, French & Italian are all the official languages of Switzerland - not minorities. It is like calling someone who is Canadian a minority in the US.

It also shows you have not been to the area - Geneva, CH is almost entirely surrounded by France - Basil, CH airport is in France and suburb is in Germany. Switzerland is a pretty small country - about 1/2 the size of Pennsylvania.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:49 AM

2,350 posts, read 886,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
MYTH: The only thing that will stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun.

It’s a phrase we’ve all heard before—on the news or scrolling through Facebook feeds or on forums such as this one. It’s been circulating for at least seven years, ever since NRA's Wayne LaPierre first said the words at a news conference following Sandy Hook.

It appeals to a simplistic (if zero-sum) binary: good versus evil. As in any action movie worth its salt, there will always be a hero waiting to swoop in and save the day, killing the bad guy and getting the acclaim.

Life just isn't that simple folks. Take that tragedy in Dallas Texas about 3 years ago. A trained former military gunman ambushed a massive crowd, aiming for police among a group of protesters. The shooter crossed several blocks, eventually making a last stand in a building on a college campus. His movements made it impossible to determine the precise number of shooters. Meanwhile, at least 20 armed protesters on the ground added to the chaos and confusion.

Five police officers were killed, and nine others were injured, as were two civilians on the scene. In the end, it wasn’t even a gun that brought an end to the violence, but a bomb, aimed by a police robot at the lone gunman.

By the NRA’s standards, the last place a shooter should have succeeded in committing a massacre would be in a heavily armed crowd. However, the roughly 100 police officers present and myriad gun toting civilians were unable to stop the bad guy.

Following the shooting, many prominent Republican leaders who usually respond to mass shootings by wishing there had been more guns on the scene were conspicuously silent. In practice, the promised success of armed opposition to an active shooter once again proved more difficult than some might suppose.

So here we are, after these latest massacres and following shooting after shooting, the NRA peddling the same tired good-guy with a gun myth. Interestingly, NRA revenue rises following each successive mass shooting. In fact, following the Sandy Hook shooting, NRA profits increased by almost $100 million, and membership increased by hundreds of thousands, while firearms sales soared.

Armed police were on the scene in under a minute in the last mass shooting incident, in Dayton Ohio...by some reports within 30 seconds. “Think about that minute,” said Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley. “The shooter was able to kill nine people and injure 26 in less than a minute.”

The gun-permissiveness crowd wants us not to think about that minute. It puts the lie to the gun lobby’s claim that having armed people nearby when a mass killer strikes is all we need to keep us safe.

It is time, well overdue, to lay aside the NRA’s favorite axiom and start to focus on changing gun policy in these United States of America!
Why was it that in 1978 over 50 percent of households had a gun, yet few mass shootings? Now only 31 percent of households own guns yet more mass shootings.
You also need to google 911 calls home invasion, and listen to those calls where having a gun saved their life. And pay attention to how ling it takes police to get there. And the one with 2 college age girls that had a recently released felon break in with a knife and slmost stab one of the girls to death. Fortunately a cop did get there and kill the felon and the girl was barely saved.
Guns save more lives than they take.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:55 AM

5,269 posts, read 2,564,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here. What do gun owners do about mass shootings?
Better monitor gun sales.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 AM

413 posts, read 70,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

So what about OKC Federal Building (Chemical bomb - 168 dead), Boston Marathon attack (Bomb - 3 dead), San Bernardino Attack (Bombs didn't go off - 22 dead), 9/11 attacks (Box Cutters & Airplanes - 2996 dead), Happy Land social club (Chemical fire - 87 dead), Santa Barbara 2014 (Knife - 4 dead). I am sure there are more - your statement is not true.

Using weapon bans to curb mass shootings is denying the 99.9999% in order to make the 0.00001% look for another means. The way to resolve mental issues is to treat them NOT ban weapons for everyone in the hope that it works. Hope is not a strategy which is why using gun measures to resolve the issue is not effective.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:43 AM

10,199 posts, read 5,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
What do responsible pool owners do about all of the drownings?
What do responsible drivers do about all of the distracted driving deaths?
What do responsible knife owners do about all of the stabbings?
What do responsible fist owners do about all of the beating deaths?

What do responsible gun owners do when not all of their shots are landing where they are aimed?

They go to the range and practice. They invest their funds into their infrastructure so they have the ability to practice.

For if I have to shoot and I miss and hit an innocent bystander, I go to jail.

Once again, it is practice, practice, practice and that requires a lot of ammo. Ideally, that may be 1000 rounds of pistol (or more) a month (and way back on JROTC rifle team, it was 160-200 rounds per shooter a week).

If I have to shoot.......do you not want me to be perfect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Ignorant Gun Grabbers like to point out that the 'AR' in AR-15 stands for Assault Rifle!

No, it does not.

It stands for Armalite Rifle #15 after the company that originally designed it.

If they think that, I wonder what they think about the AR-7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or