U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 09:54 AM

36,022 posts, read 32,716,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yes, now show me in that list of an American killed by a hailstone that hit their head in the last decade. Go ahead..... we'll wait.

You said American, not me smart guy. Or it doesn't count if you get killed on vaca in Mexico? Or someone from Japan gets shot here, that doesn't count?

Old 08-20-2019, 10:43 AM

4,601 posts, read 1,171,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Very true, here they lash out. In Japan, if they can't succeed they commit suicide.
Again - and this has been repeated many times here - we used to commit suicide in America too if we were miserable. Shootings like Columbine rarely occurred before Columbine. Rarely. So, the problems are far deeper than just guns, since plenty of guns were available before Columbine.

Something has changed here. American society is very ill.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:49 AM

445 posts, read 61,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Again - and this has been repeated many times here - we used to commit suicide in America too if we were miserable. Shootings like Columbine rarely occurred before Columbine. Rarely. So, the problems are far deeper than just guns.

Something has changed here. American society is very ill.
Growing up in the 70s/ 80s - there were always miscasts and "losers" and whatnot but none of them thought to buy a gun and senselessly kill random people. There were school shootings back in my day, some of them were senseless but something like 1 or 2 or 3 people were killed at a time. Not 10 people or more. Columbine changed everything. It was such an act of evil - two kids teaming up to kill as many kids as possible - that it was covered to death and glorified. Now every loser thinks their moment of infamy goes through some Columbine like event.

I don't know what can be done tbh. It might need to get worse before it can be better. We can't tell the media to stop covering these events because that's a violation of their first amendment rights. We shouldn't give up or 2nd amendment rights over this either. What can we do about video games?

Maybe we can do things around the edges. Have some form of "red flag" laws. Monitor kids a bit more in elementary school and identify the one's who are not socializing. Everyone needs friends. Everyone needs to learn how to socialize.

Overall, I just don't know. I don't think there are more insane people now than when I was growing up just that the new fad among them is to do a Columbine style event.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:14 AM

10,247 posts, read 5,656,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
........Maybe we can do things around the edges. Have some form of "red flag" laws. Monitor kids a bit more in elementary school and identify the one's who are not socializing. Everyone needs friends. Everyone needs to learn how to socialize........

I remember a section in my high school year book, one of them, talking about those who don't socialize at lunch because they have been teased so much, they don't trust anymore.

One gets tired of being the butt of everyone's jokes. So is that the answer, saying that they must socialize anyhow and put them through hell?

Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM

4,601 posts, read 1,171,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Growing up in the 70s/ 80s - there were always miscasts and "losers" and whatnot but none of them thought to buy a gun and senselessly kill random people. There were school shootings back in my day, some of them were senseless but something like 1 or 2 or 3 people were killed at a time. Not 10 people or more. Columbine changed everything. It was such an act of evil - two kids teaming up to kill as many kids as possible - that it was covered to death and glorified. Now every loser thinks their moment of infamy goes through some Columbine like event. .

I like to joke I was the last of a (half) sane generation - class of 1998. I got out the year before that Columbine sh--show.

Every generation since mine has been a disgrace in just about every way. "Progressives" have really sunk their claws into them with all the garbage society now openly embraces.

I don't think you can do much. I personally would stop publicizing them and giving them their 15min-fame. Start there.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 PM

5,861 posts, read 4,845,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What do responsible gun owners do when not all of their shots are landing where they are aimed?

They go to the range and practice. They invest their funds into their infrastructure so they have the ability to practice.

For if I have to shoot and I miss and hit an innocent bystander, I go to jail.

Once again, it is practice, practice, practice and that requires a lot of ammo. Ideally, that may be 1000 rounds of pistol (or more) a month (and way back on JROTC rifle team, it was 160-200 rounds per shooter a week).

If I have to shoot.......do you not want me to be perfect?

I think you may have missed my point.
??

No matter how responsible you are as a pool owner, there will ALWAYS be other pool owners who are not responsible and leave their gates open, allow innocent children in the pool unsupervised and then they drown, etc.

No matter how responsible you are as a knife owner, there will ALWAYS be other knife owners who use their knives for hurting innocent human beings, instead of using them for cutting vegetables, etc.

No matter how responsible you are as a person who has the ability to ball your hands into fists, no matter how much self control YOU have, there will ALWAYS be others who will use their fists to beat an innocent human being.

No matter how responsible you are as a driver, there will ALWAYS be other drivers who will take their eyes off the road to text someone and end up crashing into an innocent person.

No matter how responsible you are as a gun owner, there will ALWAYS be other gun owners who use their guns to kill innocent people.

This is reality.
This is the world we live in.
ALL of the things I talked about just now, end up in deaths. In the same way that you don't take pools, knives, cars away from innocent people for the misdeeds of another, you don't take guns away from innocent people for the misdeeds of another. You also do not put responsibility for tragedies onto innocent people who had nothing to do with the tragedy.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 08-20-2019 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 1,146 times
For the millionth time look at all other western countries and ask yourself how they do it.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:08 PM

20,571 posts, read 11,471,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11luke1 View Post
For the millionth time look at all other western countries and ask yourself how they do it.
They start with a populace that is not indifferent to death in the first place.

They have a populace that says, "Oh, my, capital punishment is cruel, let's not do that.

They have a populace that says, "Oh, my, too many people die without proper heath care, let's handle that."

Generally speaking, they don't even need the gun laws they have. Their murder rates would be low even without their gun laws because they're just not as merry as Americans about killing one another.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:15 PM

8,142 posts, read 4,783,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Frustration. Being called names, labeled, mommy didn't love them enough, not enough hugs from daddy and couldn't get a date to the prom.

I think people have lost family values like respect for your family, respect for your parents. Respect for authority in general. Some people just dont care what shame they bring to their families.

Too many parents adopted the BFF method of parenting.
Participation trophies do little to prepare kids for a world where you dont get a trophy just for showing up. They flat out struggle with reality. I have seen my share of young adults completely melt down when confronted for poor performance.

I dont think that it is any 1 thing, but an accumulation of many. The last 10 years everyone has seen an escalation in class warfare and finger pointing.
If we took a list of all the mass shooters, pretty much nothing you said applies to them except for frustration.

People hate each other, and the amount of hate is growing every year. It is the hate that fuels these mass shootings. School shooters hate their classmates. Some shooters hate liberals, others hate conservatives. Some hate Muslims, others hate Christians or Jews. Many mass-shootings are really just terrorism, and obviously the terrorists hate our culture, our society, and our government.

The real question is, should they hate our government? Should they hate our culture? Should they hate our society? Should they hate their classmates? Their coworkers? Should liberals hate conservatives? Christians? Nazis? Is their hate irrational? Are they crazy?

Shouldn't we expect people who hate each other, who make each other miserable, and who are obstacles to each other's happiness, to kill each other(if there is no other means by which to remove them from your life and the lives of the people you care about)?

These people aren't crazy, they're just angry. And they ought to be angry.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:20 PM

1,566 posts, read 348,664 times
What I'm going to do is not engage in any mass shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or