U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 01:37 PM

15,658 posts, read 13,571,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Complete background checks on all gun purchases and closing the backdoors in which guns can be transferred without a background check is supported by a majority of Americans. Such things help keep guns out of the hands of criminals and nut cases but don't affect law abiding people who want to buy/own guns.

The NRA fights the above because they are primarily a lobbying group for gun manufacturers. What you can do if you're an NRA member is demand that they back sensible gun legislation to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and nut cases.
Background checks won't pick up a number of things, such as if the person is addicted to playing highly violent armed video games, but I suppose they are better than nothing.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:37 PM

10,303 posts, read 4,793,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
We live with and accept that there has to be 40,000 deaths a year due to car accidents. It should be even easier to live with and accept that there are 14,000 gun deaths every year. Like all those deadly car accidents, we have no other choice but to accept those gun deaths as something little can be done about. 2nd Amendment supporters have no problem fully accept living` with that situation and expect everybody else to do so.
The vast majority of those gun deaths are suicides and gang shootings. No law will end those.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Bad parents are often the answer. They come in all sorts of flavors:
  • Those who are "too busy" to raise their kids. (career-obsessed personalities who had kids because they thought it'd be like having a pet)
  • Those who teach their kids that they're incapable of succeeding because <insert reason divorced from either reality and/or personal responsibility>. (victim culture)
  • Those who suffer from so-called "affluenza." (my kid grew up too wealthy and/or spoiled to know better)
  • Those who had children for the purpose of living vicariously through them. (my life didn't go as planned, and now I'll force the kid(s) to be everything I imagined I would, but wasn't)
  • Etc., etc.
This crap's pathological.
That's why I'll never have kids. I would be clueless about how to be a good parent. I'd probably end up regarding them as a damned nuisance. Too bad how many people like me go ahead and have kids anyway.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Everyone keeps ignoring the facts. Most mass shootings, 4 people or more are shot, happen to be black on black. Young black men, a very small percent of the population, commit over 50% of all murders. We legal gun owners can do nothing about that.
But the ones that take the most lives are usually not black, such as the Las Vegas shooter.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:54 PM

6,588 posts, read 3,558,094 times
Maybe responsible gun owners, and especially those who scream out for their second amendment rights, should pull out the guns they are carrying and actually do something to thwart a mass shooting in progress. Maybe try to save a life. It seems gun owners are hypocritical, fighting for something they won’t uphold in an instance of need. I rarely if ever hear about a bystander saving the day with a gun. It’s always bad news. So no one in the El Paso Walmart in an open carry state had a gun?

Old 08-04-2019, 02:29 PM

1,318 posts, read 445,188 times
If I carry, and enter a situation of using my firearm ,and shoot a shooter who is threating to kill someone ,here is what will go through my mind.
1] If I shoot this guy ,I will be arrested.
2] I will spend thousands of dollars in legal fees.
3] I will be sued in civil court for my house and all I own by the family of the villain .
4] the state will confiscate ALL my firearms during MY trial, place them in a bonded warehouse and charge me $25 per
firearm per day for the length of said trial.
5]I probably will lose my license to ever carry again, so I will have to sell the firearms I used to save the life of the possible
victim.
6] All in all the victim was probably a Anti 2ed amendment Dem.[at least in Ma.] and will think I'm a" gun nut " and will walk
away thinking only police should have guns, and should never use them .
So it comes down to I only carry my firearm to save my ass and only my ass the rest of the world should buy there own gun and save them selves.. In this world your on your own.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:35 PM

1,395 posts, read 910,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I rarely if ever hear about a bystander saving the day with a gun. Itís always bad news. So no one in the El Paso Walmart in an open carry state had a gun?
It happens rather frequently.

A soldier in El Paso was armed, but he did what most people would do: he got himself and as many others as he could to safety. A face-to-face shootout is unlikely, and if a person with a pistol were to take on a rifle-wielding shooter at a distance the odds would not be in his/her favor - especially if the bad guy was wearing body armor.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:44 PM

36,022 posts, read 32,716,172 times
If you try and open carry in WM they ask you for a license and if you don't have it they ask you to leave. No one wants that hassle.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:48 PM

13,071 posts, read 4,449,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
I do nothing and change nothing about my life or gun ownership.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:51 PM

10,247 posts, read 5,656,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Maybe responsible gun owners, and especially those who scream out for their second amendment rights, should pull out the guns they are carrying and actually do something to thwart a mass shooting in progress. Maybe try to save a life. It seems gun owners are hypocritical, fighting for something they wonít uphold in an instance of need. I rarely if ever hear about a bystander saving the day with a gun. Itís always bad news. So no one in the El Paso Walmart in an open carry state had a gun?

CANDACE COOKSEY FULTON: Recalling real Deer Hunter

There you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or