Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 08:41 AM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times

Advertisements

I'm at a loss here.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
IMHO, as an individual, you protect yourself and your family.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:46 AM

159 posts, read 61,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
I'm not a gun owner, but someday I hope to be one by moving out of New York City. What happened here is that we as a society need to do a better job with managing mental health. We have a mental health crisis here in America, especially in white America in which the government has ignored in the past 30 years such as the opioid crisis. We also have 50 years of feminism which alienated men out of the work and sexual market place. All of this that I mentioned is resulting in a power keg causing mainly white males and others to explode in rage. This stuff is not funny either. Removing guns, or eliminating the 2nd Amendment mainly proposed by the modern day Social Justice left wont solve mass shootings and active shooting scenarios. Persons can easily use knives, chemicals or bombs,vehicles to inflect harm on multiple levels. We as a society need to fix mental health, and those democrat candidates nor Trump are talking about mental health.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:47 AM

937 posts, read 927,348 times
In all seriousness, get involved w/ your community.

The absence of responsible gun ownership in the public conversation really has created a schism.

Unfortunately, the main spokesbody is the NRA which doesn't have a glistening reputation.

I, an Economics grad democrat who votes Green party because the major parties have really just completely lost my intellectual interest, will probably purchase a gun and join the responsible gun owners club and note the significant lack of presence and receptiveness of new members.

As far as what you can do about mass shootings directly, I don't know. There's not much you really can do aside from identify organizations working to resolve the tipping points of them (mental health, religious and racial division, economic stress, misinformation) and provide volunteering, financial or community support for them.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:49 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Continue to follow gun laws, and practice gun safety every single day.

There’s nothing that gun owners can do to stop a deranged maniac from using one to kill. We can’t stop guys with knives, people plowing through crowds with cars, etc. etc. All we can do is remain law-abiding citizens.

The actions of one crazed person are not the fault or responsibility of the rest of us. Don’t allow people to let you feel that way.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:49 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Not much we can do, I think there needs to be a police or law unit that investigates potential risks. Usually, someone heard something off from each shooter, but there isn’t enough evidence or urgency when it comes to reporting it and being investigated. Also, the media should be banned from using their real names. Banned from sharing their manifestos. Stop making these crazies famous or immortal.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
You can still be a responsible gun owner while supporting legislation that will restrict weapons of mass murder to the mentally ill and evil doers in this country.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:54 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.

Obey the laws and don't commit crimes.

You cannot control the behavior of crazy people.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:54 AM

159 posts, read 61,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verifiedcheckmark View Post
I'm not a gun owner, but someday I hope to be one by moving out of New York City. What happened here is that we as a society need to do a better job with managing mental health. We have a mental health crisis here in America, especially in white America in which the government has ignored in the past 30 years such as the opioid crisis. We also have 50 years of feminism which alienated men out of the work and sexual market place. All of this that I mentioned is resulting in a power keg causing mainly white males and others to explode in rage. This stuff is not funny either. Removing guns, or eliminating the 2nd Amendment mainly proposed by the modern day Social Justice left wont solve mass shootings and active shooting scenarios. Persons can easily use knives, chemicals or bombs,vehicles to inflect harm on multiple levels. We as a society need to fix mental health, and those democrat candidates nor Trump are talking about mental health.
And I say this as a person who is of color, a 1st generation American. Yes I'm sympatric to white males, but I'm sympatric to all people in this country.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:56 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Promote more states to allow legal carry for the law abiding. Encourage the law abiding to get their carry permits and carry a firearm. Get rid of gun free zones like the CA garlic festival and retail stores that ban guns. These shooting are RARE and overall very few people die each year from them. More people die by far from inner city black on black violence, but it seems black lives don't matter after all, because nobody tries to stop that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies