Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 06:32 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Then we would be going back to the Wild West where if you looked at someone funny or moved you hands funny, you'd get shot.

Draw Partner!
Great movie

Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,592,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Promote more states to allow legal carry for the law abiding. Encourage the law abiding to get their carry permits and carry a firearm. Get rid of gun free zones like the CA garlic festival and retail stores that ban guns. These shooting are RARE and overall very few people die each year from them. More people die by far from inner city black on black violence, but it seems black lives don't matter after all, because nobody tries to stop that.
Yeah, the "good guy with a gun" did what in El Paso? Dick! It is so much BS that mantra.

Listen I have a number of rifles and shotguns. I use them for hunting and target practice. I have no handguns, although I might get a black powder revolver.

I never, ever, have felt the NEED to have a gun for protection. Ever. That story is just BS, and most of those that keep spewing it know it. Since when have Americans decided they will live in fear, and need a gun for protection.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:43 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That is exactly what I want to see in CCW training. The reason I don’t carry is precisely because without a background in combat, I don’t trust myself to be calm, smart, and skilled enough to use a firearm in a way which doesn’t unnecessarily raise the stakes.
I spent 13 months in Vietnam. I carry. Could I shoot someone here, I hope I never need to. But if it comes to them or me or my family, I hope I could.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:54 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
The whole idea of a "good guy with a gun" or arming teachers is insanity. So is mass shootings of children or shoppers or people we don't like. We have way too many guns in circulation and a high percentage have just disappeared. We have to get them out of the hands of predators and mentally ill people. I'm not against responsible gun ownership. I have one but the national average among gun owners is eight. That means some owners have dozens or more. A total assault weapon ban, background checks on all gun transfers, cutting the number of guns in circulation by half with serious buy-back efforts, and requiring annual registration (like an automobile) so that guns don't just disappear would be policies that I would support. There would still be lawful gun ownership and still a lot of guns out there but fewer and hopefully the bulk would be for sport. We would at least begin to get a handle on the problem. I would favor repeal of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that prohibits lawsuits against manufacturers and dealers.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
How we carry shooter practice and train could fill many volumes of thick books about methodology. The final course of fire in our CCW class in the shooting stage is a bit different. It's based on an actual active shooter incident that happened here.

If the trainee fires one sot it's an automatic fail for this course. There is absolutely no way to hit the bad guy target without hitting an innocent. It a test of judgement. Not shooting skill. But we don't tell anyone that going in. Only that it's pass or fail. Quite a few have failed. They think that they HAVE to shoot. It's a live fire course right?

LOL, yes. But it's Kobayashi Maru. It's designed to make people have to think. The situation is a don't shoot. It doesn't mean the student will fail the class. But it's a learning experience. Without the human brain behind it a firearm is useless.

What happens if you take him out hand to hand?

Old 08-05-2019, 07:31 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I spent 13 months in Vietnam. I carry. Could I shoot someone here, I hope I never need to. But if it comes to them or me or my family, I hope I could.
I approve of this.

I just want to be clear that I think legal carry is amazingly good. It should be legal in all 50 states, and states should rework their reciprocity agreements. But I do also want the bar to be higher. I don’t want someone like me to get a permit. I would need to invest time and resources I don’t have before I feel I had earned the right to carry.

I salute our vets, and more specific to this thread, anyone who takes instruction over and above what’s required to carry legally in their jurisdiction.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have personal experience with this. An LE failure to act on a report a friend and I gave them resulted in an attempted murder. I was working in my friends gun store helping him out. This guy we both know well came in trying to buy a gun.

We both knew he was a two time convicted felon on drug, domestic violence and weapons charges. This cretin is a major fleabag. Of course we denied the sale and reported the attempt to the cops. He should have been immediately arrested for parole violation. He was not even supposed to walk into the shop let alone try and buy a gun. And we had the denied BC paperwork to show.

The cops didn't do a bloody thing and he got a weapon off the street and tried to kill his ex girlfriend. Oh he got arrested then. But the cops could have headed that off with what we gave them. I guess they were to busy with other matters than a two time violent felon trying to buy a gun and violating his parole. But we DID report it as we were required to do and had official records to back that up.

If the cops don't act on things like that and these scum bags get a gun and try to kill people how is that MY fault as a law abiding gun owner? How does the finger get pointed at me? But it does. These gun o phobic types can put that in their pipe and smoke it. Put the blame where it belongs and leave me alone.
I hate to admit it but I see a big faultline through the whole "see something, say something" mantra. And it's blue.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The Constitution is the law of land. Our rights are identified there.

While other documents are important, it is the Constitution of the United States that is the guiding one.

One would be wise to know which document is which and what it does.
So I don't have rights and the one shooting at me that has a KNOWN mental issue and shouldn't own guns does. That's what I get out of the tripe your saying.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:51 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I would favor repeal of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that prohibits lawsuits against manufacturers and dealers.
Then with that idea if someone killed with a car, you could sue the car dealer and manufacturer.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hate to admit it but I see a big faultline through the whole "see something, say something" mantra. And it's blue.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the boys in blue are the problem, but rather they might be procedurally bogged down. Police can only arrest people if there is probable cause of the crime. I don't know how probable it would be for a paroled violent criminal who was denied a gun sale and was reported by the owner or a concerned shopper... One would think it SHOULD be though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies