Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 02:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, it's the weapons that are causing manians to want to kill people?

If you believe this, you'd be wrong.
I never said that weapons "cause" maniacs to kill people. I said they shouldn't be allowed to obtain those weapons. If you believe they should then something is wrong with you.

On this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
CA has this and a 4 year old could pass it.
I'm not talking about anything that CA has.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:53 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I never said that weapons "cause" maniacs to kill people. I said they shouldn't be allowed to obtain those weapons. If you believe they should then something is wrong with you.

On this:

I'm not talking about anything that CA has.

Regardless, you'd have to grandfather in any existing gun owner so why bother.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
CA had a stupid unloaded open carry law until a few years ago. Which I did when I'd come back from the mountains. Now I have to lock it in a case.
Okay. Well. California.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Regardless, you'd have to grandfather in any existing gun owner so why bother.
IMO existing gun owners should not be grandfathered. I know a lot of gun owners who should not have weapons - literally folks who are so paranoid that they have 2-3 guns in every room in their house and they own 2-3 AR-15s and I worry they will have a break and kill someone.

Just like folks have to renew their licenses, those of us who have licensed/registered weapons should be required to comply with new licensing requirements.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 PM

BTW, it's dead simple for a garage home machine shop to manufacture a fully automatic rifle or pistol. That technology is older than the electric light bulb. It may be even easier with 3-D printing.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
A federal law could be passed to limit civilian gun ownership to revolvers and bolt-action rifles. That would allow people to have a pistol for self-protection and a rifle for hunting. It would be in full compliance with the 2nd amendment.

Bwahahahaha! What part of "shall not be infringed" is unclear? Throughout the entire history of our country citizens have owned and used the very same firearms that the military has. That's a stone cold fact. It's a bit different now as the rifles we have are indeed patterned after a true military weapon, but we are limited to semi auto only.

That since the adoption of the select fire M 14 in compliance with the 1934 law regulating full autos. Your proposal would shred the 2A. And the 2A has NEVER been about hunting.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:04 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,124,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
To be more specific:

Exhibiting the Section 30-06 sign prohibits concealed carry (and implies prohibition of open carry, but that's not explicit in the law).

Exhibiting the Section 30-07 sign prohibits open carry but by law explicitly permits concealed carry.

An establishment that wanted to be absolutely clear in a total prohibition exhibits both signs.

There are also some details as to where and how the signs must be posted in order to be valid.

And of course, the license to carry is necessary.

Except for rifles. Open carrying a loaded AR-15 is legal in Texas, although it may be prohibited by the municipality.

It would have been valuable if one of your El Paso associates actually check the front door of that Walmart to see if they have a sign on their doors (which is where it must be to be valid). I have an application that identifies places in Texas where the signs have been seen, and there is no report of one at that Walmart. Maybe it's there and hasn't been reported, however.
Sure, but no one I know is going to drop everything and rush over to the WalMart just to check this and tell me. Maybe if they ever happen to go there shopping they will tell me.

From what I've been reading all over the internet, WalMart is very anti-gun. But at the same time didn't want to finance the cost of putting up 30-06 and 30-07 signage. Instead what they've elected to do is not put up the signage, but advised staff to check permits upon shoppers having a weapon displayed.

One technical question I have is, if the mall has a policy in place where it is "gun free" and has signage in support of such, if WalMart is on mall property, would WalMart then not have to put up the 30-06 and 30-07 signage because the mall itself is responsible for that? I've not heard of a WalMart located on or at a shopping Mall before. But I have seen such stores as Target on Mall property and shoppers have to enter the mall before the store. Basically what I'm asking is if it would be considered a "blanket" policy where any and all businesses operating on Mall property be covered automatically by the mall's policies, rules and regulations in regards to firearms? If so, the store itself wouldn't be required to put up such signage because the mall should have already done so at all of it's entrances.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:16 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
IMO existing gun owners should not be grandfathered. I know a lot of gun owners who should not have weapons - literally folks who are so paranoid that they have 2-3 guns in every room in their house and they own 2-3 AR-15s and I worry they will have a break and kill someone.

Just like folks have to renew their licenses, those of us who have licensed/registered weapons should be required to comply with new licensing requirements.
Putting guns in multiple rooms is called "staging".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bsg_ylNwbY

Is 9 too many? Double digits? What about if they each have a specific intended use?

You don't need a gun to snap and kill someone. The nice little 8 year old flower girl at my wedding is serving 25 to life for beating her mother to death with a pipe wrench. This happened about 15 years after the wedding.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:25 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No shortage of people grew up with huge chips on their shoulders. What our generation did not have was the internet/ social media, the common tools of self radicalization and depreciation.

I tend to view most of the sensational mass shootings as first and foremost suicide by cop or self inflicted. Taking as many others with is narcissistic fulfillment.

I'm only up to page 14 but have yet (?) to see the fact that we have a generation of young white males who have been over-medicated through the formative years adolescence. The killers tend to have that dead, zombie look, or eyes like the Joker. I want to know how many of these killers had been or are on mind-influencing prescriptions. Boys who are diagnosed as hyperactive, ADD, ADHD, etc are given meds to "settle them down". How many young people are in therapy, battling depression, bi-polar disorder, anxiety and similar issues ? And the answer seems to be $125/hr sessions and more pills.

In fact I place this concern well above "video games". Maybe the drugs break the veil between reality and fantasy. I dunno.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
From what I've been reading all over the internet, WalMart is very anti-gun. But at the same time didn't want to finance the cost of putting up 30-06 and 30-07 signage. Instead what they've elected to do is not put up the signage, but advised staff to check permits upon shoppers having a weapon displayed.
Walmart's official corporate policy is to follow the requirements of the local laws.

In Texas, Walmart stores have no signage, and Texas law is explicit that no signage means gun owners who have a license to carry can do so. That's even true if the sign is not properly worded, sized, or posted in the correct location.

Last year there was a major stink when a local manager did attempt to practice checking permits of open-carry customers. That's not a corporate policy, and it's a troublemaker for a local manager to attempt it.

They have the best prices for ammunition, so they must not be too anti-gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies